My LPC thread

Momento Mori

Argh, real life! damn you for getting in the way too much! :)

Well, here is the first part of my obligation for getting my pledge done. I recently started getting a Space Wolves force together (I was soooo tired of painting Black Templars) and had been playing around with a 'quick fire' method for getting the minis done. While these won't be winning me any Golden Demon awards any time soon, I feel having a decent looking paint job on a completed army is more satisfying than a top notch paint job on only 1/3 of an army.

Started with a spray undercoat of Army Painter Wolf Grey...

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/4-2.jpg

...then washed (generously) with Devlan Mud. Did anyone here try out the method that was in the WD SW issue back when these came out? I did, and the results sucked! Thinned down scorched brown did NOT look like any of the pictures in WD did lol!

Anyhoo, I have blocked in the armor plates with Vallejo blue grey:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/PC1.jpg

Butt shot:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/PC2.jpg

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but soon, they should all be looking similar to my 'test' wolf I painted using this method:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/Final.jpg

More to come shortly!

Wow I really really like that grey you have there on the test model.

If you have any time ( I know real life is a pain in the arse) I would love to read a tutorial or maybe a list of paints you used.

Oh on the topic of washing with Scorched Brown....

I use a similar method for painting my Carcharodons but you have to really thin the paint.

Almost to the point that it looks like dirty water.

If I know WD and their cryptic painting guides, if you follow it exactly you will not get the same results!

+++Mr.M+++

they're lovely and I have to trial the AP Wolf Grey, looks pretty much equal to Adeptus Battlegrey except much cheaper and a spray :lol:

how long did it take for you to do the first 5 guys and how many guys are you doing?

Thanks both!

I'll be putting up a tutorial once my pledge is done, so watch this space :D

I can't sing the praise enough for the Army Painter spray. It's not cheap, but it is outstanding. I recommend it!!

Well, for my pledge i'm only doing 5 guys, and collectively to this point here I would say about 2 hours have been spent. After this stage everything else really doesn't take long. In theory I could get a squad of 5 done in an evening. Studying, working, fatherhood and laundry keep interrupting my equilibrium though haha! :P

I don't like blue space wolf but I like the way you paint blue :tu:

good job

Thanks Sam. They do look more grey in real life, but obviously the blue comes out more in the photography. I toiled for a while on what 'shade of grey' to do the wolves, and while I do like dark grey, that's more of a pre-heresy look I feel. (also, one scheme I tried looked almost as if I had highlighted the bare plastic!) My purpose for this scheme was to get a force painted and on the table relatively quickly.

Can you tell me how you did the skin? Looks awesome, keep up the good work!

Thanks Stryke! :Elite:

The skin is painfully, and I mean painfully simple...

Basecoat tallarn flesh

Wash with Ogryn flesh, let dry

wash with Gryphonne Sepia, let dry

wash mouth and eye sockets with Devlan mud.

Thats it! -_-

This may sound mad haha but as a poor man I've not been able to get the new washes - what would you suggest I use instead (I have the old inks but Flesh Wash is wayy too dark).

Thanks - and as always they're looking lovely :) (I'll have pics on me own up this evening)

You could always maybe try a wash of thinned Scorched Brown over Tallarn Flesh maybe? I used to basecoat flesh in a chestnut brown, then add Bleached bone to that and gradually highlighted, but that was when I had lots of spare time for hobbies lol!

2nd update post (thus satisfying another part of the pledge requirements)

Started doing the highlights on my Wolf boys. I am doing simple, hard line highlights, again, in the interests of getting painted troops on the table and not having them sitting half done on a shelf <_<

It may be simple, and it may be too much of a unsubtle clash for some, but I think it actually makes the figures pop quite nicely.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/PC3.jpg

Butt shot:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/PC4.jpg

I hope to get the other 3 highlighted tonight. Then the hard part is over! I'm still undecided as to what designation to have on the shoulder pad. While I like the Russ icon, I think it's too overdone...

By the way, is anyone has any good recipes for blondish hair, please let me know!

Also, am I the only one that thinks that some of the hairstyles on the SW heads are truly ludicrous?

looking good dude, very good if thats your speed painting. absolutely agree about the SW heads, whats with the guy with really tall hair on one side and a skin head on the other, not even a crazy blood claw would rock a haircut like that!!!!! can't wait to see more of those wolves. might "borrow" your recipie if you dont mind. cheers, geek

By the way, is anyone has any good recipes for blondish hair, please let me know!

my own recipe for blond goes with Iyanden Darksun (flat layer) then a flat layer of Blazing Orange, highlight with Badmoon Yellow and then further highlight with Bleached Bone/Iyanden Darksun mix.

Thanks all!

@Geek - absolutely help yourself to the recipe mate!

@Crimson Fury - The highlights were just lines of Space Wolves Grey over the base coat. Thinking about it, I can't believe I didn't put that in the post... durp! :)

Archived