Angels of Absolution LPC 2012

Millicant

Hello all,

I'm here to post my first of two required updates for the 2012 LPC. I vowed to complete 5 Terminators, 5 Scouts, and a Vindicator. So far I have completed construction and base coat for the Vindicator, the construction, basing, and base coat for the scouts, and the terminators are one step ahead, having been built, based, base-coated, then washed and matte-coated as well.

gallery_64289_6853_427454.jpg

gallery_64289_6853_397273.jpeg

gallery_64289_6853_1015051.jpeg

Any constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My apologies for the poor quality pictures and state of my paint table. You can see my other projects in the background - an objective marker and Belial. I will post on those later, but the LPC takes priority!

You have chosen the most difficult Chapter to paint for my skill - all bone white? brrrrrr! But it seems you know what you're doing big time! The base coat is fantastic and the bases rule!!! Keep it up!

Just one thing: who is the termie in the backgroung of the scouts pic?

Oh, don't forget to post a link to this thread in the PCA forum!

Thank you for the encouragement, brothers. I will update the original post as I move towards completion of my vow.

The terminator in the background is my Belial WIP. He is built with magnetized arms for all three weapons combinations with a primer coat applied. I'll post more on that later.

The bases are actually neither, Tengo. They are thick cork made to look like rocks with some generic chunks/sand to break up the rest.

The bases are actually neither, Tengo. They are thick cork made to look like rocks with some generic chunks/sand to break up the rest.

Really? They look perfect, I'm definitely going to have to experiment with that at some point.

Wow brilliant colour bone you're getting there and so smoooooth. Airbrushing has gotta be the way forwards (if that's how you're achieving that smoothness) for both speed and consistency of paint application, particularly on vehicles. The bases are epic - crumbled cork you say - and cheap too then. They look great terrain for the scouts to sneak around in B)

Cheers

I

hi, great that you are joining the Vow ! :) Very nice models so far. Is that a "Vallejo Air" bottle in the background ? :cuss Are you using an airbrush ? Which colors are you using ?

I can't take credit for the paint scheme - I am using Les Bursley's Deathwing paint scheme for my entire army (makes sense for Angels of Absolution). Look him up on youtube under the channel "awesomepaintjob" for a lot of fantastic painting videos. This guy is great.

Wow brilliant colour bone you're getting there and so smoooooth. Airbrushing has gotta be the way forwards (if that's how you're achieving that smoothness) for both speed and consistency of paint application, particularly on vehicles. The bases are epic - crumbled cork you say - and cheap too then. They look great terrain for the scouts to sneak around in ^_^

Airbrushing is definitely the way to go. I did a lot of aircraft models prior to discovering 40k rather recently and relied heavily on an airbrush. I highly recommend it - I use my airbrush for everything that I possibly can and the brushes for anything I absolutely can't airbrush.

The cork is the thick, dark brown stuff from Michaels. It breaks up very nicely and makes awesome rock formations. I really small chunks around the base for scouts, medium pieces for tactical marines and their similarly sized brothers, full thick-ness chunks for terminators (as you can see), and full-thickness plus extra for characters (as you can see in the background for Belial). It's pretty cheap, looks great, and is very easy to work with. Highly recommended.

I can't take credit for the paint scheme - I am using Les Bursley's Deathwing paint scheme for my entire army (makes sense for Angels of Absolution). Look him up on youtube under the channel "awesomepaintjob" for a lot of fantastic painting videos. This guy is great.

I've seen his youtube videos. they are great, but personally I'm not a fan of that Dark Angel Space Marine... :)

Try to look up "Buypainted"s channel. He uses an air brush too and also uses some great painting techniques. He mostly has SW, BA, GK but you should also find something useful there, like preshading etc... .

http://www.youtube.com/user/Buypainted?feature=g-all-u

Looking forward for more pics of your army ;)

I'm waiting for my gray primier to arrive to start painting my Tactical Squad. They are currently in pieces ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've worked a bit on my vow, while still spending some time on my other project. You can see a little teaser in the scenery of my terminators. Interested? LINKY to take a look at my project log.

gallery_64289_6853_979232.jpg

gallery_64289_6853_371863.jpg

Now, however, comes the bad news.

I don't think I will be able to finish my vow. I just got orders to go to North Carolina for the month of March, leaving next Monday. There is no way I will be able to finish these, my scouts, and the vindicator in time. I'm sorry Prima Legio, I've failed you.

Any chance I get an out for military orders? :D

Sad to hear that Millicant. Your work is truly amazing and I hope that regardless of the LPC you'll see this through eventually. And post pics! ^_^

How does this work for you? Is it a permanent relocation or a temporary one? How long will it keep you away from your fantastic project?

Just a thought: Do you think your commanding officer will show liniency if you tell him that you thought you spotted a Fallen in Vista, California and you need like a month to verify? :lol:

That's a real shame Millicant, looking at what you have so far though i'm really looking forward to seeing them completed when you get back. Particularly love how the basing is shaping up as well.

By the way, do basecoated only miniatures count as complete given they can be "tabletop standard"? If you do have some time before you go you could always continue basecoating the other bits of the miniatures and fully complete them when you return for the LPC.

Hey gents,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm only away until the end of March. I fly back on the 31st... what a shame for the LPC, huh? I'm going to try and get them "table-ready" and call it complete, though I will continue painting them after that for my own usage.

hehe Captain Semper I wish. Don't think my CO could be swayed by even such an important task and tracking down the fallen.

Regardless I will definitely be finishing them when I get back, though like I said I will attempt to get them to a tabletop standard in order to not penalize our glorious legion.

Archived