TDAs LPC thread

TheDarkApostle

First things first:

I, TheDarkApostle of the x CHAOS ASCENDANT x , vow to (attempt to) honour the rest of the Cedo Pantheon by slapping some paint on painting and (maybe) presenting at least 8 Chaos Marines (of the Sanctified) and 8 Bloodletters "Generic Lesser Daemons" on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise hope to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow declare that if I should fail (Gods forbid, not again!), I will might provide the Librarium with an article and (maybe) wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

Now that the pledge is out of the way: Update Nr 1!

med_gallery_17075_6942_116119.jpg

A craptastic shot of my 8 plastic Bloodletters "Generic Lesser Daemons" and a brand new shiney box of Chaos Space Marines.

I've been wanting to do something besides Word Bearers for a while but still, preferably something that I can still use when I play Chaos. Hence I chose to go with a squad of Sanctified marines, which helps giving me a good fluffy reason why I have an abundance of Khornate Daemons in preference to a more balanced mix as support to my good ol' Bearers ;)

The scheme I have in mind is the scheme in the Siege of Vraks books over the scheme shown in the Chaos Codex. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the painting off so I get a distinct difference to my Word Bearers.

All for now.

TDA

So a few hours in and already I'm having trouble deciding.

I've got the first four marines down (Champion, Icon, Plasmagun and one regular dude) and so far I've kitted them out with chainswords and bolt pistols, since after all I want them to be Khornate since they are Sanctified. So the thing I'm having trouble deciding on is:

Should I give them all bolters as well hanging behind them?

Or do I skip the bolters?

TDA

in terms of WYSIWYG, standard weaponry and wargear is not required. everyone knows CSM come with ccw/pistol/bolter..

personally id model one or two holding bolters, maybe one holding a pistol in one hand and a bolter in the other, another with a bolter slung behind him

Personally, I kept Troops equipped with one of two ways; Bolter + 1.5 Combat weapons (Pistol, Bayonet, or both) or 2x Combat weapons. I'm going to hold off of the 'slung' Bolters and extra Combat weapons attached to the belt for the Elites. It seems to be a nice way to get Troops done a bit quicker, and have a place to do more ambitious load-outs on the Elites. It also helps the Elites look all the more bad-ass beside the rank-and-file.

But, it all comes down to just how much time you want to spend on each model, and the feel you want. Khorne encourages Combat weapons all over the place, to say the least. Even if they're Bolter equipped 'tactical' marines.

Quick snap of the four built astartes:

med_gallery_17075_6942_256550.jpg

Camera evidently need a change of batteries since it keeps dying on me but I don't have any spares at the moment so craptastic images galore for now.

Also all the nay saying posts to putting everything on them sent me into an expected "I SHALL PROVE YOU ALL WRONG!" rebellious fit and as such I outfitted them all with everything :P

Conversion work so far includes a few head swaps from other boxes (head on Champion from Berzerker box, head on plasma gunner from vehicle accessory sprue) as well as converting the bolt pistol of the icon bearer from a belt feed to a stock mag, as well as removing the chaos star from the cloth on the icon so I can paint a rune of Khorne on it instead.

I'm going to start with the only basic marine so I can test the paint scheme, then I think I'm going to build up a few more like him so I can do something like "basic, plasma, basic, basic, icon, basic, basic, champion" so I don't get bored.

All for now.

TDA

So I've assembled the entire squad (well, entire for now at least):

med_gallery_17075_6942_981756.jpg

Test mini on the almost far left. Still need to work out highlights for him and fix his eyes and base but otherwise he's more or less done. Need to do the warband insignia also as well as drill his bolt pistol.

So in the end I went with a mix of bolters drawn / bolt pistols in holsters and combat knifes and vice versa. Figured the plasmagun guy looked a little out of place being the only one with his gun drawn instead of his close combat weapons. Also mister plasma gunner got a new head.

All for now.

TDA

The test mini is looking good mate. It was a good choice to mix and match the squad with some pulling Bolters and others using Bolt pistols and close combat weapons.

Just one question (a bit meaningless really but Im just curious), how come you have opted for the Icon of Chaos Glory instead of the Icon of Khorne?

The.Latros.Sacrum

It's an Icon of Chaos Glory in base only. When I'm done with it it will be an Icon of Khorne. ;)

TDA

Ah, makes sense now :D

Im looking forward to see your Khârn counts-as, post a picture as soon as possible. Are you gonna use the Khârn model and change things or use different parts altogether?

The.Latros.Sacrum

Just a quick question regarding your build - if they're going to be Khornate worshippers wouldn't an Assault weapon like the meltagun or flamer suit the unit better than the plasma gun? I know in game terms it might not make much difference, but the feel of a Khorn squad is generally charging headlong into assault, and the plasma gun rules prevent that. Just curious about the idea there.

Regardless, the squad looks good, looking forward to seeing it finished.

It's an Icon of Chaos Glory in base only. When I'm done with it it will be an Icon of Khorne. ;)

TDA

Im looking forward to see your Khârn counts-as, post a picture as soon as possible. Are you gonna use the Khârn model and change things or use different parts altogether?

The.Latros.Sacrum

Well, actually it's so I can choose freely between Icon of Khorne and Icon of Chaos Glory without having to buy magnets. :yes:

Also, what Khârn? :ph34r:

Just a quick question regarding your build - if they're going to be Khornate worshippers wouldn't an Assault weapon like the meltagun or flamer suit the unit better than the plasma gun? I know in game terms it might not make much difference, but the feel of a Khorn squad is generally charging headlong into assault, and the plasma gun rules prevent that. Just curious about the idea there.

Regardless, the squad looks good, looking forward to seeing it finished.

First things first, I'm firstly a builder / fluff maker, secondly a painter, thirdly not really much at all of a player. Hence I almost always only go with what I feel like would be cool and / or enjoyable to build/paint. Almost never from a gaming or meta standpoint.

Leaving that, in game terms I would most likely play them as standard Chaos Marines with an Icon of Chaos Glory, which makes the plasmagun make much more sense from a gaming viewpoint. Even more so since I play to give them a heavy weapon as well down the road.

TDA

TDA

The.Latros.Sacrum

Well, actually it's so I can choose freely between Icon of Khorne and Icon of Chaos Glory without having to buy magnets. :)

Also, what Khârn? ;)

Whoops, sorry mate. I was reading two different Khorne threads one after the other and obviously just momentarily confused the two together, the counts-as Khârn was on the other thread :lol: I do apologise.

The.Latros.Sacrum

Half of the marines pretty much done. (And with the plasma changed to a melta :P )

Taking some time off from the marines I'm now doing two of the Bloodletters[/s] Generic Lesser Daemons as a change of pace. (And yeah, I'm never gonna get over how much I absolutely loath that unit name :tu: )

I'll try to get around to fixing a proper 25% mark tomorrow.

Now back to painting and watching CSI Miami, at 1 AM :lol:

TDA

Archived