Land Raider Prometheus Angelis Imperator

wacca

Hi guys, this is my first WIP post so I hope it goes ok.

I've been collecting and painting for a while now and after a break whilst the kids where smaller I'm back into the swing of it again.

for a while now i've fancied doing some interior work on my Rhinos and Raiders, my biggest thought was "how do they drive that then"

I have just finished reading Siege of Vraks and thought now would be an ideal time to start a display table for my growing collection.

In the book Azreal rides around in his LR Prometheus The Angelis Imperator.

this is going to be my log on how I am creating that legendary vehicle. It is going to include a fully detailed interior and all the doors and hatches will be hinged.

I hope you will join me on my journey and if you have any comments and advise I'd love to hear it.

so work starts with the sticky question of just who does drive that thing. thanks to imperial armour there is a drawing.

tucked up into a swing seat the driver sits front right under the cupola. The problem is in this position he partly blocks the front right exit. Solution, I've never been keen on my marines exiting in front of the tanks main weapons anyway so guns to the fore exit at the back.

I have used the sidecar form an attack bike and trimmed it slightly.

med_gallery_58293_6947_569529.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_3835416.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1331766.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2827372.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2698261.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_602844.jpg

med_gallery_58293_6947_59875.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1964366.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1051065.jpg

med_gallery_58293_6947_221992.jpg

These are all just rough fits at the moment the level of finish will be improved according to how much of it you can see

the next job was to fit a control station

med_gallery_58293_6947_1803153.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_463197.jpg

This will be neatened up soon. Also going to drop him back a bit to give more view of the drivers control panel

Good work on the interior but... why mount the chair by the hatch if he's stuck staring at the rim of the cupola? He'd had to stand up slightly to look out if it was open thus negating the chair and there's no screen for him to look at to drive-by-wire. Also if the hatch is shut he will get a headache fairly quickly if they go over bumpy ground.

Good work on the interior but... why mount the chair by the hatch if he's stuck staring at the rim of the cupola? He'd had to stand up slightly to look out if it was open thus negating the chair and there's no screen for him to look at to drive-by-wire. Also if the hatch is shut he will get a headache fairly quickly if they go over bumpy ground.

the blocks on the rim of the turret are glass viewing panels like these ones....

http://steel-thunder-one.synthasite.com/resources/Copy%20of%20Cupola.JPG

looks great so far mate. looking forward to more :D

Thanks for the pics wokkers, the finished model will have the hatch doors on and they will be hinged so I needed to set the driver low enough to be able to close them. since some of our vehicles have been up-armoured the guys do get head aches when they go over bumps lol the space where the cardboard is will be a larger screen made with green stuff. the driver will use the windows in the cupola when driving in battle and i have given him a screen to use for driving with night vision gear my thoughts where that the control staff could input target locations and routes on there screens and it would show up on the drivers screen as well. there will only be a limited view of this if you peer down the hatch.

• 3 weeks later...

Woop Woop, kids are finally back at school. time to crack on with some work on my command Landraider. I've started putting together the control panels.

med_gallery_58293_6947_151127.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2920817.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2754559.jpg

There's a bit of sanding to do here but otherwise I'm fairly happy, the termie is part of Azreals HQ party. I was never happy with the Azreal model so I'm planning on upgrading him in time.

I have also decided to magnetize the top so you can see inside the wagon.

As usual all comments are welcome :devil: :D :D :D :D

I'm not much of a commenter (if that is a word) but seeing this makes me want to say how wonderful this is. I love the termie and how he looks like as though he is telling the crewman what to do. Absolutely fantastic work.

thanks guys.

had a couple of hours spare this morning so i started to paint the inside, quicker i get this done the quicker I can put it together and start on the outside.

Needs some washes but I'm fairly happy with the Base colours.

med_gallery_58293_6947_3995537.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1894057.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1292950.jpg

med_gallery_58293_6947_170853.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_45368.jpg

All the screens will be blended darker to the top corner with some radar type imagery on them

Hag a couple more hours spare this week so I did a bit more work on the raider. I got the inside weathered, for this I used a base coat of Chaos black, the floor was then airbrushed elf grey, the walls where airbrushed with elf grey then dessert yellow then a 50:50 mix desert yellow and white. i tried to keep it a bit patchy. This is the first time I've tried this so it was all a bit of an experiment really.

i then used a sponge and stippled(?) on black and then snakebite leather, this failed to give me the look I wanted. I think I should have mixed the paint together. It took a couple of black and brown washes to get it a bit more natural. I used some Raw sienna oil paint and made a very dilute wash to add some grease type effects. the screens were Dark Angel green with snot green and goblin green highlights. I tried to keep the tones down and stuck to just 3 colours Red, space wolves grey and blue for the buttons, the displays I wanted to look like data streaming in on the smaller screens, a map on the large display and a radar image on the large round display. It looks a bit harsh in the pics but better in real life lol

I am really pleased how the scrolls turned out, these are dessert yellow with a couple of washes of gryphonne sepia and highlighted with dessert yellow and bleached bone, I then went and ruined them using a new pen 0.5 size and I'm really not happy with the end effect. Pointers and help would be appreciated

med_gallery_58293_6947_4592965.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_441603.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1381110.jpg

With the inside done, apart from the marines, it meant that I could get the 2 half's glued together and start work on the out side.

So the termies helmet got some high lights and the seats had a bit of work doing as well. I think the flash has hidden the data on the screens and those pics are from before i ruined the scrolls.

So to work on the outside then

the front hatch and the track guards both have been given some frag launchers, my vision was the Land Raider plowing into the enemy, the grenade launchers on the ramp fire and cut a swave through the enemy as the ramp drops and Azreal and his Honor guard pile out.

med_gallery_58293_6947_2943128.jpg

the marines are yet to be painted but this is the view you get when you lift the lid to look inside.

med_gallery_58293_6947_462552.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2813120.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1977164.jpg

The rear view shows the extra comms gear, when looking inside this area of roof/vents I found that it isn't over the engine bay so I thought it safe to cover up.

you can also see a further 4 grenade launchers and the Crux termis.

med_gallery_58293_6947_224399.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_449408.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1670841.jpg

med_gallery_58293_6947_362429.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2905016.jpg

To show the age of the vehicle I decided to go with the Pre-heresy style sponsons and las-cannons, It is going to be painted green and not black though to represent the era the rest of my army is in, I know the purists out there will tut at the deliberate mix of parts but this is how I wanted it to look.

the white plastic will be gold trim and will be wrapped around a few parts.

The next problem I have is I don't like the tracks being so close to the bottom of the armour. it gives the vehicle an un-realistic ground clearance. as my ramp has extra width it also means it wont open fully. What I want to do is have the road wheels visible to give it some more ground clearance and to give it a certain look. (similar to the baneblade type vehicles) the only problem I have is sourcing said wheels, Anyone got any ideas?

I'll leave it there and hopefully I'll have some more to show mid week

Thanks for looking

The next problem I have is I don't like the tracks being so close to the bottom of the armour. it gives the vehicle an un-realistic ground clearance. as my ramp has extra width it also means it wont open fully. What I want to do is have the road wheels visible to give it some more ground clearance and to give it a certain look. (similar to the baneblade type vehicles) the only problem I have is sourcing said wheels, Anyone got any ideas?

Go and have a look at a couple of Revell or Airfix cheap tank kits and use the running gear from there you may need two of the same kit to get enough bits. alternativley something in 1/35 scale Tamiya would be the best bet (lush casting and the bits are a more apropriate size)

What I want to do is have the road wheels visible to give it some more ground clearance and to give it a certain look. (similar to the baneblade type vehicles) the only problem I have is sourcing said wheels, Anyone got any ideas?

Try Machinator's stuff for road wheels and tracks

http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry

Brilliant work so far.

Cheers guys. NemFx the keyboard, seats, marines and radar dish are from the Damocles Rhino command vehicle from forge world, I got 2 cheap from ebay awesome model in my opinion. Thanks for the ideas for wheels I was a bit put off paying for a whole model 40 odd quid just for the wheels and cost time and shipping from Machinators is a bit much too.

gallery_58293_6947_9062.jpggallery_58293_6947_21743.jpg

so I found these from a local supplier

a few days for delivery so I'll let you know how it fits.

Tonight I spent a bit of time making hinges for the side doors

med_gallery_58293_6947_642541.jpg

I've had a busy few days at work so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the project. both set of wheels turned up and I put them together, The centurion wheels where ace, rubber rims and working suspension, just a little to large for this project they would be more at home on a baneblade.

The M4 Sherman Medium tank wheels where fairly fiddly to put together but where better suited.

It took quite a bit of hack and slash to get them in place, the guide rail for the tracks had to be removed the length of the Landraider and the spacers had to come out. the opening mechanism also offered up a challenge, the inside wheel will go on when the track arrives (I've decided not to use the supplied tracks through a lack of detail on the inside). As I write this I'm just waiting for the GS to cure before I can flip it over and put the base coat on.

I also had problems with the inner doors sliding to far into the recess and getting stuck. The side sponsons came off and I added door handles to the sliding doors, this has insured that they no longer slip to far and also I can use them to close the doors manually

med_gallery_58293_6947_1020631.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_1740195.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_3808224.jpg

hey all

Been busy this week working on the tracks, I'd love to say these went together easily but that would be a huge fib. these have got to be the most fiddly build I've done for a while.

med_gallery_58293_6947_2864296.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2325763.jpg

Each link has a middle bar and two end connectors 24 tracks on each of the 8 spruce, I think this may take a while lol, oh and to top it off you dont glue any bits so it can wrap around the tracks and the side bits keep sliding off grrrrr

This is how far i have got so far. what I am doing is building so far and then wrapping and gluing to stop the sides falling off.

I hope this is worth it.

Mikhail I'll post a pic as soon as I've got the tracks on, the height was pretty varible, the more they where pushed in the less of the suspension detail you can see but I pushed them in as far as I could so it didn't look too silly (well I hope not anyway) .

Finally, someone making a driver's section in a 40k vehicle. Definitely a great idea. One question though - why not torsion bar suspension? I know 40k tanks suck compared to modern ones, but some modern effects can go a long way.

Thanks Andrew, its been a labour of love so far and I've just been hoping it will work. Twopounder, this is 1 of 2 that I'm going to build, this is Azreals' and the other will be Belials' command. I've been learning by making mistakes so far, the choice of suspension was governed more by what I could find that was reasonably cheap and that would fit. I would be interested in a Torison bar set if you know where to find one. the first set of wheels I got where fantastic but where too big compared to the raider.

med_gallery_58293_6947_909499.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_944723.jpg

so in the end I went with the Sherman medium tank in a scale 1/35

Finally I have got 1 side done, the second side should be a bit quicker as I know how many links I can glue at the start.

This is the first side on the raider.

med_gallery_58293_6947_3542216.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2821295.jpgmed_gallery_58293_6947_2681417.jpg

I wanted the tracks to protrude from the front slightly as I feel this will give it more ground clearance, let me know what you think.

Wow its amazing what a little change like that can produce. It looks much more real and your choice of suspension really blends in well. It would be hard to spot the difference once fully painted, yet it would look so good at the same time.

Archived