Wulfebane's WIP Projects (Pic Heavy!)

Wulfebane

Ok, so I got the impression we should be making our own threads for these. This is a re-post of my original first update that I put in the Winter's Advance thread:

(Jan 11) Got ahead of myself and started painting soon as I got home before unpacking my camera.

Still a WIP.

gallery_59676_5870_2640504.jpg

Guy on the right is their adjoined WGPL. Didn't include him in my vow b/c I wasn't sure I'd be painting him.

gallery_59676_5870_83057.jpg

gallery_59676_5870_2463895.jpg

interesting choice for the PF combi-melta wolf guard battle leader. i do have to admit i think the grey hunter with the poweraxe in the middle looks more impressive ;)

i also noticed some of them are painted in a darker colour, are they still WIP's or is there a specific reason for this?

Still WIPs. I've been dawdling on the armor shading most... it takes upwards of an hour per hour for me to get it the way I want it. Even then, I still see imperfections, but have to turn a blind eye to get this finished on time!

EDIT: And yeah.. I know that WG is a bit meager by comparison.. He's the only model I've put that dumba** helm on that I've managed to like, so I use him most often in my lists out of all my PA WG.

Very good job!

Personally, I don't like the "gun turned sideways" thing. I saw a Mythbusters episode where they tested the accuracy of various "movie" gun grips, and the "gun turned sideways" was one of the worst. But that's a personal aesthetic of mine.

Hehe.. well the idea behind these 6 is they're each a diff. personality (aren't all SWs?) and that particular GH is the newest edition to the pack, freshly promoted from a BC. Sometimes I can see him foolishly firing it sideways....other times, he's not firing at all and more focused on swinging his chainsword.

Very good job!

Personally, I don't like the "gun turned sideways" thing. I saw a Mythbusters episode where they tested the accuracy of various "movie" gun grips, and the "gun turned sideways" was one of the worst. But that's a personal aesthetic of mine.

Were any off those tests done by an 8ft super enhanced being using wrist sized explosive rounds?

I...don't...believe...it!

You've made that wolf helm look good :)

In fairness, I had to modify it by filing down the nose bridge to separate it from the brow line.

I'll bare that in mind. Huge improvement.

other times, he's not firing at all and more focused on swinging his chainsword.

focused on swinging his chainsword? nonono mate! bitchslapping a xenos/heretic with his bolter that's what he's doing! :)

One down...

The rest are more or less in the 80% finished range. Coming down to the wire!

med_gallery_59676_5870_1542758.jpg

This guy is fantastic, truly inspirational to me and reminiscent of what a Space Wolf should look like. If only GW's wolf helm sculpt was as good as the figure you've dreated with it!

I am really loving the old school goblin green bases! These guys are looking great! The only thing I can offer you in the way of possible improvements is to add a little brown to the two wolf tails on the backpack. I know they're only 80% done, but I figured you might want something a little more than "good job". Which, by the way, "Good Job!" :D

I am really loving the old school goblin green bases! These guys are looking great! The only thing I can offer you in the way of possible improvements is to add a little brown to the two wolf tails on the backpack. I know they're only 80% done, but I figured you might want something a little more than "good job". Which, by the way, "Good Job!" :jaw:

Yeah, I can see your point. Initially, I just wanted them to be grey, as though coming from a different pelt than what's draped over his back, but even so, it's a bit TOO grey. Maybe some dev mud w/ a touch of watered kommando khaki.

As for the bases.. it's a touch of nostalgia for me, since I've been doing 'em in this color for 15+ years now... but I imagine if/when I get up the energy to make a "parade" display, I'll have to heavily modify the bases on my whole army to suit.

Thanks for the praise!

Wulfebane how did you do the stubble on those guys? and man those look so crisp i wish i could paint like that. oh well that to shell come with time.

It's mostly trial and error on which non-wash color to use, but I start by going back over the stubble "area" with ogryn flesh/badab black wash in very thin layers (1:1 mix) after I've finished highlighting the skin. Once I've got it dark enough, I'll go back in with astronomicon grey and tanned flesh mixed (or P3 equivalents) to highlight it lightly. For shaved heads that aren't black hair, I'll do the same process, but switch badab black for dev mud or gryphonne sepia, but I always use ogryn flesh wash to keep the purplish undertone.

You've got some really nice wolves there. The mix between the grittier look of today's models and the nostalgically bright overall look and green bases really sets them apart.

My one specific critique is that I don't like the grey wolf tails on the WG's backpack; with the grey armor, you'd be better served either making the tails white or going to a completely different pelt color altogether.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final result of your vow.

Archived