10 Things About Your Marines We Should Know

CKO

This is a challenge to anyone who has their own Chapter, I want you to tell us ten things about the average marine in your chapter! It may seem easy but I struggled with it a little, try your best to make your marine seem unique and not blend in with the crowd. Here is my attempt!

Undaunted Predator

•Greatest attribute fearlessness

•Greatest flaw pride in their fearlessness

•Unforgiving

•Courage is most important trait

•Punishes those who commit errors due to fear

•Thinks that hesitation is a weakness

•Combat is a test of will

•Fear is a weapon or illness

•Is a master of fear

•Believes that a full out assault is only way to fight

Is at least six feet tall

Is at least five feet tall

Is bigger than a breadbox

Has a nose

Has both hands

Has a spleen

Has eyes on the front of his head

Wears power armor

Doesn't like heretics

Damn. This is hard. ;)

Hmm... this may take a while...

The Steady Hand

•Greatest attribute - adaptability

•Greatest flaw - finders keepers

•Martial pride - close quarters combat may be the crucible of great men but do not shirk ranged combat

•Waste not, want not - is known to scavenge and re-use (a Mechanicus embargo forces this)

•Brotherhood is valued higher than individualism

•There is no greater traitor than those who were once brothers

•Haste does not always equal speed

•The battlefield whittles down those who do not possess enough skill

•Sacrifice must be made at the highest price

•Can be relied upon to adapt to the task at hand

This brother is relatively atypical of his chapter, with few individual traits showing through (3, 5 and 8).

Damn. This is hard. ;)

Yes, but with just one more fact you have a list that pretty much applies to all of your chapters! :D

I'll have a go at this with the Infinity Knights, I think.

-=-=-=-=-=

1. Very accepting of even the wackiest practices of brother Chapters; providing said Chapters don't object to the Infinity Knights freezing and re-using bits of dead marines.

2. Reverant of the ancient Dreadnoughts; those machines that allow Astartes to transcend mortality.

3. Not exactly at home with the idea of bionics, although they won't make a fuss about anyone who has them.

4. Eager to see more of the Imperium, to view the myriad works done in the Emperor's name and so forth.

5. Willing to treat Guard, Navy, Inquisitorial and Admech forces with the same honour and respect that a brother Chapter would recieve. And any other Imperial forces I've forgotten, of course.

6. Has a lot of respect for Apothecaries, in accordance to Asharan tradition where medics are treated with utmost respect.

7. Hates traitors with a fury that reminds others that despite their relatively pleasant attitude, the Infinity Knights are still Space Marines.

8. Has no problem doing the mundane work (like guarding supply lines or simple covering fire) so that others can triumph in the Emperor's name.

9. Not the sort to just blindly charge an enemy, even a hated one, unless there are no better options or he's run out of bolter rounds.

10. Not really worried about dying. If he does, and the enemy leaves any part of him in decent condition, it'll probably serve another brother well in the fullness of time.

-=-=-=-=-=

EDIT:

Since Octavulg pointed out I didn't actually follow the brief so much as waffle about my chapter, thought I'd try again.

EDIT:

Emperor's Vintage Wines, this would have been so much more fun with the Sons of =][=DELETED=][=. Maybe next time.

ok ere we go!!

Paladin of the Imperium

• Never Leaves a brother behind
  • Never gives an ounce of ground to the enemy
  • Grants no quarter to an enemy
  • Never forgets a fallen Brother
  • always aims true
  • Listens to the voice of the lost
  • fears no evil
  • destroys all evil he sees
  • hears no evil words
  • Redeems his lost Brothers

hope this fits, that is a tough one to be sure ;) thanks for the brain teaser!

3rd brotherhood

• hates demons
  • loves to squash things with their hands
  • think that normal marines are grunts
  • are proud to never fail a moral test
  • never left a fallen comrade
  • fights harder faster and further than any other
  • surrender is not a 3rd brotherhood word
  • and OH they hate anything chaos

Sanguinary Crusaders

1) Noble and humble like their Blood Angel parent chapter.

2) Their flaw is their personal crusades. Ultimately, for a battle brother to take a leadership position, he must embark on a crusade with 10 chosen battle brothers and retrieve an relic or something to help stop the cure. Needless to say, this can leave the chapter one leader short for a time.

3) The flamer is the SC special weapon of choice. It is able to cleanse the galaxy of it's guilty.

4) Does not kill the Death Company that survive a battle, instead locks them away until the cure is found. Astorath never comes around to end them.

5) The Chaplains do not preach outside of battle like the other chaplains do, and spend most of their time among those brothers who have fallen and are lost. They will lead regular brothers into battle, and do the litanies of hate and blood to their regular brothers. It is just off of the field that their role changes.

6) The Sanguinary Priests often lead their own crusades when they believe they have found a means to a cure. They take with them as many troops as is seen necessary. The largest crusade like this was a whole battle company.

7) They were originally fleet based but have recently settled, and their flagship, the battlebarge Leviticus was found in a ship graveyard.

8) They have strong ties with several chapters, and would gladly send their full chapter to help those chapters should the call ever come. The two main ones are the Iron Flames and the Frost Wolves.

9) It is *rumored* that the Sanguinary Crusaders drink blood instead of their usual wine right before a crusade begins, and when one finishes as a reward for self control. Only those that controlled the thirst get to do this however.

10) They have no tolerance for poor leadership and command, and several Imperial generals who have wasted men have been known to have "accidents" or commit suicide when their armies are fighting with the Sanguinary Crusaders.

Immolation Angels

1) They burn litanies into their skin

2) They despise lack of self-control

3) Collateral damage is necessary

4) Versatility is the key to victory

5) Flamer, Melta and Plasma; the "holy trinity" of destruction

6) No chat on the battlefield unless necessary

7) Never remove helmet on the battlefield

8) Always learning, always adapting

9) Tactics > Firepower

10) Ground warfare is a last resort

Time Lords

1) Genetic mutation of the prognoids causes them absorb the memories of the Space Marine,

2) They then use this to 'regenerate,' activate the memories in the prognoid, certain members of the chapter after they die

3) After regeneration the person assumes the role of their namesake

4) There seems to be a strange mix of incredibly serious and joking around in each marine

5) Hate a certain xenophobic sect of Tau and a certain Necron Tomb World that converts people

6) Considers the Emperor to be the greatest human to live, thats it

7) A Time Lord's sarcasm is always turned on to maximum

8) They Time Lords try to win a battle or a war before it even begins

9) Bolters can be called 'screwdrivers'

10) Time Lords often take aspiring Inquisitors as 'Companions' on their mysterious adventures, they strangely all seem to be comely females

*Edit for relevance

Blood Dragons

1. Fear our fire

2. We use our claws to tear down foes.

3. Fear nothing

4. Rage is a tool, not a curse

5. Strike quick, leave nothing but ash in our wake.

6. We love the smell of slag in the morning

7. Better a xenos on the end of a sword.

8. We dominate the skys

9. Aid unlooked for.

10. Praise Sanguinius, and hail to our leader Conrad

Angels of Adamantium, mostly because they're my most unique chapter, and I want to finish them next -

1) Uses a jump pack in combat always

2) Is a cold, arrogant astarte, probably doesn't care much for your average citizen

3) Works really well with his brothers, to the point of daily synchronization

4) Could use a patch up on his armour

5) Has a short life span, for an astarte

6) Typically favors speed and precision over brute strength

7) Respects the Inquisition

8) Doesn't respect the Ad Mech, thinks they make his tech-brothers far too slow and unwieldy

9) Even though they follows their chapter's organisation as opposed to the Codex, most Angels have a deep respect for Guillemann as their primarch

10) On the flip side, most Angels dislike the Space Wolves for perceived lack of discipline - think nobles vs. barbarians, at least to the average marine

For my upcoming Vanquishers Chapter:

. A descendant of the Crimson Fists and Rogal Dorn

. An expert in Urban Warfare, both in defence and in attack

. He can be as stubborn as their gene-fathers and retreat only if they are forced to at times

. He possesses a hatred for the Orks and the scions of Nurgle

. For every campaign the he fights in, the name of the battles are tattooed onto his body, successful campaigns in red and failed campaigns in black

. He's recruited from their homeplanet of Caeron, which is a Necropolis and was more than likely recruited from the under-hive gangers

. Like every Astartes in the chapter, he has the Imperial Aquilla and the name of their Primarch branded over their hearts when they become fully fledged Astartes to represent their duty and commitment to the Emperor and their genefather.

. His armour is customised to have extra armour in places for urban combat and includes increased sensors on his helm

. Carries a combat knife in battle he himself forged as part if his initiation rite

. A stern, blunt individual.

+++

Cambrius

Not directly mine but I put a lot of work into them.

The Emperor's Nightmare

1. Raven Guard successor from the 23rd founding.

2.The chapter was founded to guard an entrance to the Veiled Region in the galactic southeast.

3. In addition to all Raven Guard faults, the chapter suffers from an unusual mutation that causes them to alternate between months of restlessness and months of comatose-like sleep.

4.Is codex deviant and instead is formed into two battlegroups of four companies each, with the veteran and scout companies split between them. The first focuses on direct attacks and attempts to blind or shock the enemy. The second on sabotage, subterfuge, and assassination.

5. The chapter's homeworld is the hiveworld Icelus. The planet is covered in thick layers of pollution, thousands of miles of salt flats, and a massive rail system.

6.Because of their mutation, the chapter does not allow normal marines to carry heavy weapons. All heavy weapon support is relegated to dreadnoughts, of which the chapter boasts a large number of.

7. The chapter's mutation can grow worse, causing them to lose the ability to sleep permanently. These former marines, known as the Sleepless slowly go mad as their restless bodies drive them into a permanent state of "bullet time". The chapter will still make use of them in designated units, but they know

that eventually a sleepless will begin to hallucinate and see his own brothers as the enemy.

8. The chapter lacks sorely in terminator armor, starships, and vehicles. While they have some of all three, it is anemic compared to most other chapters.

9. Their first and only chapter master, a former Raven Guard dreadnought named Randolphus, was given the position after banishing the daemon prince khaliman prior to being interned in a dreadnought. The followers of Khaliman had their revenge by stealing Randolphus's soul and leaving him in a permanent coma. But because he isn't technically dead, the chapter has yet to replace him and command of the chapter is done by a council of captains and the heads of the two battlegroups known as The Wake.

10. While they are sleeping, those who are warp-sensitive in the chapter can enter a regions known as dreamscapes. These are locations where the warp is distilled down into something where daemons can manifest fully, meaning they can be killed instead of just banished. However, a marine who dies in the dreamscape will still die in real life.

OK, guys.

Ten things about the average marine in your chapter does not mean ten things about your chapter. It means ten things about the AVERAGE MARINE IN YOUR CHAPTER.

When your chapter was founded, why they use the colors they do and their location are NOT things about the average marine in your chapter.

OK, guys.

Ten things about the average marine in your chapter does not mean ten things about your chapter. It means ten things about the AVERAGE MARINE IN YOUR CHAPTER.

When your chapter was founded, why they use the colors they do and their location are NOT things about the average marine in your chapter.

Derp I misread it horribly. Excuse me whilst I go and edit and find solace within the Pain Glove. :)

Cambrius

CKO

Oct you cannot control your inner critic can you, as the OP I welcome all post some of them are a little off but this is the internet. Are we critiquing answers now?

No, "a little off" is the guy who posted eight things about the average marine in his chapter, or a guy posting ten things about the average Sister of Battle in his Order. :huh:

10 things about the average marine in your chapter gives us insight into character and aspects of chapters not usually discussed or explored here. Almost everyone talks about their chapters generally, or about individual exemplary marines. Talking about chapters from the viewpoint of what the average marine is like is unusual, and interesting. I've developed a much better picture of some of my chapters from doing this. 10 things about your chapter just gives us the same information everyone always presents. One is interesting and makes people think. The other is the same stuff as always.

If people don't understand the difference, that's their business. But I suspect there's some people who didn't really think about it or really read that closely, and it'd be a shame if they missed the neat opportunity in favor of the humdrum one.

Stone Hearts

-Have a pronounced attachment to their home world and culture that defies logic.

-Have long ago accepted the idea of leaving their world to find honor, fortune, and battle, both due to mercenary heritage and the fact that Cathe is insufficiently prosperous to allow much else.

-Tolerate other cultures and even xenomorphs with the happy condescension only true security can bring. After all, off-worlders aren't Cathians, and once you're reduced to that poor state of existence what does it matter what color your blood is?

-Grew up in a rural, agrarian setting with a medieval level of technology. Probably knew no more than a few hundred people until he joined the chapter.

-From an early age, took weapons lessons in local village from a grizzled veteran Space Marine, who told him of opportunities for glory and honor offworld, and of the marvels of the galaxy.

-Will nurse a grudge for generations.

-Stalwart and reliable. Will stand when others run (and complain about doing it).

-Generally level-headed, but with occasional bursts of temper. He knows better, but sometimes cannot help himself.

-Is less concerned with what is lawful, and far more concerned with what is honorable and what is fair.

Steel Dogs

-Hates himself.

-Hates his brothers.

-Hates his chapter.

-Spends much of his life as a prisoner in his own body, unable to exercise his own will.

-Has minimal or no bionics. Bionics are for assets worth preserving.

-Will die horribly, his memory forgotten by all but his squad members within weeks.

-Spends most of his free time trying to figure out ways to kill his superior officers.

-Is expendable, and knows it.

-Thought he would be a hero.

That's two. The other two have been more difficult. Yes, I've been working on them since the thread went up, off an on. ;)

Bahltimyr Reavers:

Hates their Primogenitor Chapter, the Raven Guard A for not accepting them as a Successor and B for the flaws within their Gene-Seed.

Hates their Primarch Corax for the above.

Whilst they are a Chaos Undivided force, the average Marine feel a lot of derision for the Gods themselves.

Feel that their fate was decided for them even before becoming renegades (see above).

The average Marine of the 'Reavers, sneers at the squabbling the other traitor War bands indulge in, feeling that it is beneath them to get involved.

Many Marines in the Force are driven by only the most basic (and Primal) urges. Very few within the War band are now capable of anything near rational thought.

Those that still have higher brain functions are all plotting to become the leader - at any cost.

Those that aren't are only concerned about when they are next able to tear something asunder.....

Whilst hating the Imperium of Man, they still consider Xeno's to be utter filth and should be purged.

Will do what it takes to accomplish their current mission. Nothing will deter them, nothing will stop them, nothing will distract them. Ever.

It took a while for me to think of the above. It has, however helped me to finally figure these guys out. Once I've gotten a chance, I'll give their IT a clear out and see if I can't get the above realised......

Sons of Lightning:

1.) Hates the Eldar

2.) Yearns to prove himself against a powerful foe.

3.) Envies his brother psykers.

4.) Studies his enemies as much as he trains in combat

5.) Has no qualms about slaying allies that have been "tainted" by Eldar contact.

6.) Believes his home world superior to the other two recruiting worlds.

7.) Trusts but competes constantly with his brother marines.

8.) Constantly comparing his kill markings to the others of his squad, being the least of his brothers is the worst possible scenario.

9.) Stands in awe of his Captains and Chapter Master, whom he views as demigods

10.) Loathes the Eldar.

The Blades:

1.) Desperate to prove his personal strength.

2.) Constantly obsesses over melee glory.

3.) Extremely, obsessively, loyal to the Imperium and its ideals.

4.) Fanatically suspicious of everyone who isn't a Blade.

5.) Raised to see women in charge of everything, utterly obedient to woman in authority positions.

6.) Fears that he will assigned to the Devastator squads or armored brigades, where his skills might rust and his glory won't be seen by all.

7.) Terrified of the Chaplains; an ancient, primal, cultural, fear.

8.) Is constantly reminded how his ancestors and relatives betrayed the Imperium, and how his entire life is one of atonement.

9.) Responds to every situation, no matter how minor, with overwhelming and terrifying force. (Awkward at parties...)

10.) Full of contempt for Psykers and Tech-Marines, despite the important role they play.

You should see 11-15... I have a whole thesaurus. Decry, Despise, Detest, Scorn, Revile, Abhor... The list is endless really. Frankly, I don't even know what 2-9 are doing up there...

Archived