No Chaplain, but Corvidae...

Kierdale

Naturally, a pre-Heresy (or post-Heresy, for that matter!) 1kSons army is not going to have any chaplains in it (the chaplain order came out of the Council of Nikaea, no?) but I wondered if something could be used as a counts-as-chaplain?

I recall the 1kSons fighting on Shrike and the various cult members using their powers to aid each other, in particular the Corvidae foreseeing the enemy's actions and instructing their brothers in how to counter the enemy attacks before they even happened, directing their own attacks, etc...could something like this not be represented by the chaplain's Liturgies of Battle ability?

In short, do you see a problem with using a mini, suitably modelled to stand out from the others (heqa staff instead of a crozius, etc), as a chaplain?

Disregarding the fluff behind chaplains, from purely a TT point of view they have access to better wargear than most, they have an extra wound and inv save plus their re-roll ability on the charge so as long as you model a suitably different model that stands out from the rest you can call it anything you like (perhaps Adeptus Exemptus?) and it'd be fine. Of all the cults the Corvidae seems to fit the best as well because it was about predicting and seeing the future so the re-rolls to hit on the turn you charge could represent this ability. None of the others seem to fit as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll go for it then. I'd be tempted to go all out and convert a counts-as-Cassius, but I'll run this Cha-#ahem#Corvidae Adept Exemptus with my vanguard veterans, so he's going to need a jump pack. A vanilla Chap' then. I think I'll actually base it on a Chaplain mini...best get a reload of GS too then.

Don't rule out a converted Sicarius. If you can green stuff over the UM symbols, it has great potential for a stoic Thousand Sons character. Plus, since it's no longer just in metal, it is easy to cut up.

That is tempting! Thanks Ah-a-nothepsis. Perhaps I'll keep him for the future as a captain. That is a good pose.

Edit: a crazy thought (perhaps) but do you think something could be made from the Tomb kings BloodBowl star player? Liquid and normal GS to smooth the bandage-areas into plates, etc.

That is a pretty sweet set of shoulders and head. I've no idea how large he actually is and the quality of the model though, so can't say much about it.

If all else fails you can just cut away the lower body and start mounting it on space marine bits.

Don't rule out a converted Sicarius. If you can green stuff over the UM symbols, it has great potential for a stoic Thousand Sons character. Plus, since it's no longer just in metal, it is easy to cut up.

That is tempting! Thanks Ah-a-nothepsis. Perhaps I'll keep him for the future as a captain. That is a good pose.

Edit: a crazy thought (perhaps) but do you think something could be made from the Tomb kings BloodBowl star player? Liquid and normal GS to smooth the bandage-areas into plates, etc.

I think you could, specifically one of the Robots controlled by Kaliophosis would be cool and original

I think you could, specifically one of the Robots controlled by Kaliophosis would be cool and original

I'd suggest using a dreadknight for the basis of that conversion personally.

I'll leave Kalophis and his battle droids for another discussion in another thread another day, but I'm currently thinking about how to replace the Chaplain/Corvidae's crozius...

My first thought was to make a heqa staff (the typical sheperd's crook-looking staff) but I will also be having a librarian in the future and would prefer to keep this for the librarian (and don't want them both with heqa, to avoid confusion). I'm considering a captain at some point with a relic blade and thiught about modelling that as a flail, but would that look good as a replacement for the crozius?

Something different, a staff topped with the legion insignia?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll leave Kalophis and his battle droids for another discussion in another thread another day, but I'm currently thinking about how to replace the Chaplain/Corvidae's crozius...

My first thought was to make a heqa staff (the typical sheperd's crook-looking staff) but I will also be having a librarian in the future and would prefer to keep this for the librarian (and don't want them both with heqa, to avoid confusion). I'm considering a captain at some point with a relic blade and thiught about modelling that as a flail, but would that look good as a replacement for the crozius?

Something different, a staff topped with the legion insignia?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Use a flail, as it is quite appropriate for the theme, is my advice.

A staff topped with the legion insignia

I don't recommend it, it looks too chaplainy.

• 2 weeks later...
Bought and started on the chaplain Corvidae Adept Exemptus, remodelling the crozius and making it into a flail with some cool chain I found. A couple of rough WIP shots are in post #34 of my thread (link in signature) if anyone's interested.

Chaplains were running around in all of the Legions, IIRC, due to the Word Bearers trying to spread the Word and what not. Seeing as both the Thousand Sons and Word Bearers were both heavy scholars before warriors, it wouldn't surprise me if there were quite a few running around- they just didn't have a very large impact on what the Thousand Sons thought and what not.

Archived