A new Unforgiven

Frejdruk

After two weeks of near-lifelessness, with important tests, presentations at university, followed by a test we've got in Sweden, högskoleprovet, which resembles SAT, I am told, I have finally gotten some painting time again today! I have finished the model testing the grey variation on my colour scheme.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/Gr1.jpg

A better attempt at the chapter symbol.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/gr2.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/gr4.jpg

A proud son of the Lion!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/gr3.jpg

I have to say I'm really fond of the grey colour scheme, sadly. I say sadly because this means I might have to repaint the models I've completed so far! But the army would look better for it, I suppose.

What do you think about this version?

Frejdruk, I think the grey scheme is thumbs up! Good job on the Chapter Icon as well. I like it! I know you didn't want to have to repaint all your figs, but sometimes that's half the fun of a DIY! Good luck and look forward to the results!

I have to say I must cast my vote for the grey scheme as well. And seeing as my vote carries some weight in this case, grey it shall be!

As for zoomed in pictures, I don't see why I would want to do that! That can't possibly improve your opinions about my work, the range has been chosen carefully ;)

No, I jest. Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/grz1.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/grz2.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/grz3.jpg

The lighting is a bit off here, pictures taken at night. So it looks a little shiny :D

Right then... Go have a look at my close up pix... :) I think I am an okay painter till I takes the pict.

Very nice, the only problem I see is maybe doing a bit more to highlight/shade the off white bits but overall a very nice composition. I like the blue eyes...

• 4 months later...

Hello again! After a very long while, I've finally painted something for my chapter again!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/5gra.jpg

Only four more tactical marines finished though, but it's something! These are painted a different way, with grey undercoat instead of black, which resulted in the different hue of grey, and the bone white parts are done differently as well. To the far left is the first, original one.

Which one the versions do you prefer? Keep in mind that the original is a lot cooler due to the robe alone :)

I still haven't figured out a name for these guys though! I'd want something incorporating "kings" or something equally royal, but I'd also want it to tie in with their Unforgiven heritage.

If you want to incorporate the crown into the name without coming right out and saying 'king' you could always turn to the old latin standby, 'Imperator Nox' would translate roughly to Dark Kings/Kings of Darkness* although if you're not a fan of the latin approach you could try something like 'Penitent Lords'. One that does tend to get used a fair bit but would work for your own chapter would be 'Archangels', literally lord/prince of angels. If all that fails you could always go for my personal favourite 'Scions of the Lion from Zion'. :devil:

*strictly speaking emperor, but thats close enough and Rex Nox would just sound daft

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys! I'm not too fond of latin names in general, I'm afraid, but Imperator Nox and Angelus Rex both sound kinda catchy, so we'll see.. Archangels is an idea as well.

Tried my first games of 6th a couple of days ago, I like it so far! Really, really looking forward to a new DA codex!

• 2 months later...

This time around I actually had to use the search function to find my thread, I suppose that tells me I should paint more :( Really impressed with this whole Path to Redemption thing, maybe I should try getting some more models done that way!

This time I've completed 5 scouts, bolt pistol and combat knives ready. Well combi-melta for the sergeant. These were composed during 5th edition, so I'm not entirely sure on how they'll perform in 6th. Hopefully I'll get some kind of use out of them once a new book hits the shelves!

Before showing you them, I have to admit that these have been speed painted to an entirely different degree than my other models, so their looks suffer for it. On the other hand, they look better this way than plastic grey...

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/Scouts.jpg

Been thinking a bit more about my chapter's name and background, leaning slightly towards naming them Angels August, incorporating both the angelic theme and the kingly part I wanted to use. Jotted down a few ideas for their character and background, though I scarcely believe I'll have the focus to make it into a proper IA.

Hey, look who's back!

They look nice Frejdruk although a more close-up pic would help. Join the Path to Redemption - you will find it a great motivation to get some units finished! And don't forget the background! Making a proper IA is pretty fun - it helps getting your ideas about the Chapter together and organize them... Give it a try!

Great bases too! :(

Hey Frejdruk! I joined the forums after your last post in August, so I just took a first look through your thread today. Your successor chapter looks great in the grey and bone! The green robes are also a great choice to tie them back to Dark Angels. I love the chapter symbol too.

As for making your own transfers, I recently tried my hand at this to make my Deathwing Standard Bearer. (Click Here to see a close up of the finished transfer.) I would suggest using Testor's decal making products. They sell clear and white decale sheets in half-letter paper size, and decal bonding spray (which is necessary).

You can get their "decal system" starter set, Here. It comes with one half-letter sized sheet each of clear and white transfer paper, a 3 oz. can of bonder spray, and a tiny CD of a largely useless graphics program that I didn't even bother to use.

I just used a free imaging program, like Paint.Net or GIMP, to adjust the size of a scanned image (you'd have the freedom of designing the crown+wing icon yourself instead of fussing with scanning resolutions), then printed it out on REGULAR cut-in-half printer paper until I got the actual-real-life-size correct. Then once I was happy with the results, I printed it on decal paper. The type of decal paper you use (white or clear) depends on the colors of your decal. For your red/green crown and wings on an off-white background, you'll want to use the clear paper.

Once the decal is printed on decal paper, you DON'T TOUCH IT for a couple of hours. Then you spray the Decal Bonder spray directly onto the image, just the same as you'd prime a model (you know, not too much, not too little). Then you let that dry for another couple of hours. After that it's as simple as using a regular transfer.

If you've yet to use transfers, might I suggest using Micro-Set and Micro-Sol. And follow this procedure:

1. Paint the area where the decal will go with GW 'Ardcoat glaze. Let dry COMPLETELY ('Ardcoat reacts poorly to extra moisture and will cloud over and make your model look like crap if you get it wet before it dries).

2. Cut out decal and soak in water for 30 seconds or until decal starts to shift over its backing.

3. While decal is soaking, dab Micro-Set on the area where the decal will be placed.

4. Slide decal onto the area. Position carefully (decals are delicate), then dab around (NOT DIRECTLY ON) the decal with a dry paper towel. Let dry.

5. Apply Micro-Sol directly onto decal. Let dry.

6. Repeat step 5 until decal is completely flat against your model. On curved surfaces like a shoulder pad, you may have to very carefully make incisions with a VERY sharp and new hobby knife on the decal to get it to lay flat. Once happy with the contour of the decal, let dry COMPLETELY.

7. Paint a layer of GW 'Ardcoat glaze over the area the decal is on to seal it.

8. Spray varnish your entire model to get a consistent finish, if you don't want random glossy parts where decals are.

It's very easy to get the hang of. As long as you follow the steps, everything should look as awesome as you can design it on a computer. The only skill necessary is getting used to positioning the wet decal. Most things I've read will tell you to use soft brushes, but I myself have had the best results using the flat-edge of a hobby knife and a pair of tweezers to nudge around the decal very carefully. Experiment with what works best for you, and if you mess up, Testors sells packs of clear and white decal sheets, so you don't have to worry about ruining your decal paper. Just get more and print up a new decal!

If you're gunshy about designing a decal on your own, I would be happy to do it for you and post the image on this thread.

I'll definitely look into the thing with decals, thanks a lot Avon! A very exhaustive guide, it seems like :lol: Glad to hear you like the models as well!

And captain Semper, a close-up pic will have to wait! I've carried these down to the basement my gaming club rents. I keep most of my stuff there, so I won't have to carry everything back and forth when I want to play ^_^ And honestly, I think I'm better off showing them from this distance ^_^ These are painted for speed, not quality :P

The background I am sure I will continue pondering for as long as I collect this army. As for making an IA, we'll see. I'm leaning towards a semi-early founding, somewhere around 5th or 7th or something. To go with the crown as a symbol, I imagine their character would be arrogant and quite narcissitic ^_^ Striving for the utmost, to avoid ever failing like their parent legion did with the fall and the destruction of Caliban.

Feeling contempt for the normal humans they defend, because themselves, above and beyond normal humans in every way (to their eyes), they are Unforgiven and feel the burden of an inherited debt from thousands of years ago, while humanity has countless of its own falling every day, without even feeling guilty.

Ah well, that's the current train of thought anyway! On a hobby-related note, I am torn between a few options. Painting either a MM attack bike, a Rhino, or my kitbashed librarian showcased earlier in this thread. Or gluing together a couple of bikers. Or another of the countless ideas I get and forget every day ^_^

The bike brings an interesting question...

Are you going to do different paints schemes for your chapter's Deathwing and Ravenwing?

EDIT: Forgive me, I got the bug to do some image work, so I tried making a sheet of your winged crown chapter icons. What do you think?

gallery_67890_7909_25216.png

If you need any tweaks, let me know.

The decal pictures look awesome! Wow, thanks! If you do have time and the urge to tweak, I'd prefer the wings black rather than green. And if possible make the crown just a tad less tall. But anyway, thanks a lot Avon! What program did you use to make that?

As for the Deathwing and Ravenwing (or their equivalents at least), I hadn't really thought about it and just figured I would paint them in the same way as the rest of the army. But since you brought it up I have been considering doing something else, maybe alter my colour scheme a little bit. I was thinking that maybe the Ravenwing could exchange the grey for black on their armour and bikes, which would definitely make them look more like the Ravenwing of the Dark Angels.

The 1st company would, if I decided to paint them in alternate schemes, just invert the 3rd-10th colour scheme, and wind up mostly bone-coloured, with grey hands, belt, helmet and the lower parts of their legs (is shins the correct terminology perhaps?). Though I'm still undecided if I should go ahead with this or just stick to the normal scheme. Any suggestions and opinions would be welcome :D

Archived