EPK's Unforgiven

EPK

Turning this thread into a reliquary for all my Unforgiven work. Did some house cleaning of WIP Belial photos from below. First up is him all finished:

Belial, Master of the Deathwing

gallery_49213_4130_63225.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_37257.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_139716.jpg

Here is the pre-paint version that I put together quite some time ago (A couple things changed. 1. I opted for a larger back icon and 2. The sword just wasn't fitting right. I also went back and actually removed the space hulk "base" so he sat better on his own 40 mm base):

gallery_49213_4130_72956.jpg

[original post: I was thinking about cutting the stem of the icon off and mounting it where the rock starts, directly on his armor. Seems too tall, but I certainly wanted it larger than the original (as some of my sergeants have the smaller size already). Though people often mount entire back banners to them, which are much larger... Thoughts?]

I think the back icon is fine - leave it as is. Really like the blue/yellow cable coming out of the helmet. I have to tell you the work you've put in this Termie shows! Excellent conversion and the removal of the SH base is done very carefully! I think the LC was a good choice too... It's the meanest, coolest looking termie weapon imo! I also like the choice of the base figure... As SH termies go it's one that has the most movement - a great pairing with the LCs...

Is the ceremonial blade the knife from the Vets box?

Thanks Semper, I can always count on your for some positive reenforcement.

The knife is from the Upgrade Sprue (or yes, the Vet box). Now that I think about it, I don't think I liked the fact that it was unsheathed, so I tried to fit on a sheathed knife (from Space Wolf bits) and that's the one that didn't fit right, so in the end I simply replaced it with another DA icon.

Thanks Lucifer - though I do suppose that's a lot of gold hanging down from his waist - luckily there is at least that one gem to paint to hopefully break it up a little.

Speaking of which, anyone have opinions on the gold bits? Think I should add some verdigris or leave them nice and shiny? It is said that the crux on a terminator master's armor actually has some of the melted down Emperor's armor in it ... surely that is too blessed to ever become blemished.

so I tried to fit on a sheathed knife (from Space Wolf bits)

...heresy... of course it didnt't fit!!! :lol:

I agree with Chaplain Lucifer - no verdigris. It's Belial after all! His armour must be in pristine condition!

Good call fellas. I did a light highlight of 75/25 Shining Gold/Mithril Silver... maybe I can add an extreme Mithril Silver highlight as noted.

Not sure how well it shows, but it went like this -

black primer

tin bitz base

shining gold over

sepia wash

shining gold drybrush

shining gold/mithril silver highlight.

Very nice Belial - love the use of the Space Hulk terminator there, makes for a slightly more ornate base model. :lol:

Thanks - and also a slew more little details to drive me crazy while painting.

I agree with the others, a really nice LC/LC Belial.

Get those claws painted up nice and brightly to lead the eye toward the dangerous bits and he'll look awesome.

I agree with your thoughts on the icon, chop it shorter. Belial can have other bling to make him special, after all he has an iron halo up there too (just for looks of course).

s

• 2 weeks later...

[WIP shots of Belial removed (they are in my album) - cutting down on some clutter in this thread]

And the command squad, still a work in progress. I might finish the basing and start painting them while I finish modeling the rest of the shields (was going to leave them off for painting anyway).

gallery_49213_4130_39513.jpg

Nice looking squad was about to say the same thing as Stobz about the terminator with the flail, looks dangerous.

The iron halo over the head piece on belial is a nice touch and the lightning affect on the claws is great.

Great Stuff :tu:

• * The use of green for Belial LCs was an excellent choice! Looks really, really good and provides an excellent base for the metallic contrast
    * The lightning effect is very succesful. I'm green with envy!
    * On the negative side, not a big fan of the purity seal on the chest. Like the writing don't like the extra dark (almost black) core. Now unless the picture distorts it I'd suggest adding some deep red there...
    * Termie's poses are fantastic! The power flail is pure win!!! Great idea, and great execution - this guy will be famous... a refernce!

I tried the "list" code for the first time... ;)

Thanks all. Good call Semper - I'll hit it with a touch of mechrite red. That's a deeper red and is what I use as a base for all reds.

That SH mini with the flail is one of my favorites too. I'll have to get a shot of him with the shield tacked in place - so much motion. It's like he just shield based the hell out of an enemy and is about to follow it up with a crushing blow from the flail.

Okay, Belial is complete. I'll probably see spots to touch up after looking more closely at these photos, but for now, I'm done. I tried using a piece of paper in from of my lamp to diffuse the light - not sure how well that worked, but here goes -

[completed Belial moved to the top of the post - trying to cut down on some of the clutter in here]

You know, this is a very VERY well made Belial. What have you done to the gold bits? They look amazing... he shine is so super effective especially in contrast to the stone angel on Belial's back!

Kudos on the robe - obviously. It's not only the detail of white spikes but the shades of green you made there. And the text on the purity seals? I swear I tried to read it! :( Good think you fixed the purity seal on the chest - looks way better this way!

Now on to the power flail guy! :)

And here is a few shots of that Space Hulk mini turned Deathwing with his Thunder Flail. Let me know what you guys think. Obviously I'm restricted a bit on the pose here, but does the shield sit okay like that? Sort of like he's basing and winding up for a flail swing?

gallery_49213_4130_39043.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_38229.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_62231.jpg

The shield is okay but the flail is not.. with taht position of the arm he is ready to strike but the flail direction is looking wrong IMHo. I think that the flail backwars would give more of the idea that he pulled his arm back and was beggining to swing the flail on whatever he is bashing with the shield.

Thanks Semper!

After the earlier WIPs above, I realized I had burnished gold in my paint box! I went back and did a little touch of that... so I think it would go something like this with that in the mix:

black primer

tin bitz base

shining gold over

sepia wash

shining gold drybrush

burnished gold highlight

mithril silver extreme highlight

----------------------------------------------

Good point Captain Lucifer. So you are saying, like this?

gallery_49213_4130_41112.jpg

Archived