Clouseau Rhino Project

araekyus

While jumping back and forth between projects for my Brotherhood of a Thousand, I started going over the templates for the Clouseau Pattern Rhino. Discussed this pattern with my closest friends and they expressed their interest in seeing this pattern come to life. And seeing as one of my future tactical squads will require a rhino, I set out to create this odd chassis variant. So with some helpful advise and egging on via texts, here is what I have so far:

gallery_35302_7108_51682.jpg

Layered plasticard bottom layer 1.0mm thick and top two layers 0.5mm thick. Designed to hold standard Land Raider Doors, either plastic or FW. Guide holes drilled for rivet placement and axle bearings.

gallery_35302_7108_126098.jpg

The paper cutouts from the drawn picture usually included with the template file after a quick use of google-fu. These show the layers I used.

gallery_35302_7108_1803821.jpg

And a shot of the basic templates. These should be familiar to quite a few folks.

I will try to keep this updated as I am sure people would be interested in some new pics of how this is done. Enjoy!

Interesting project, and looks like it is in capable hands. Though one question, what is a Clouseau Pattern Rhino? Never heard of that variant before. What book is it from?

the idea came from a fan whos' name was, in fact, Clouseau who posted the template long ago on his website (Clouseau's Corner, which is now defunct, iirc). you can find the file with a bit of google searching (admist all the Inspector Clouseau and Pink Panther results both image and other ;) )

my main interest is the size. the mock up ive done with paper is a tad larger than your standard rhino, but not quite true-scale. and now that FW is going to be bringing out the Spartan (the kid in me squeed when i saw that), this version is perfect for what i want for my chapter.

Been away from B&C for awhile (a couple years out of 40K altogether and then an interest in non-PA armies) but this thread is the perfect reason to draw me back.

I too will be looking forward to seeing how this project progresses. I loved the tongue-in-cheek named Pink Panthers of Clouseau and practically drooled over his conversions. No slouch as a painter either; he made pink marines look manly. I loved his modular Razorbacks most (Quad Attack Bikes a close second) and had hoped to someday perhaps tackle them myself. A couple of HD crashes over the years have caused the templates to disappear but not the interest. Kudos for starting this project. I patiently await the next update.

Here is what i have gotten done so far this week. the track units are all but done, save for the glue down of the tread pieces. the hull is currently being analyzed the my tech priests, so hopefully i will have more updates soon. for now, i'll let the pics tell the story so far. and yes, i changed the look of the outer track detailing. it worked out for the best i think :devil: pardon the photos, iphone and shakey hands are a bad thing

gallery_35302_7108_963936.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_541912.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_144685.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_362250.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1266642.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1726679.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1748181.jpg

Looking good so far. Do you have a pic of how its suppoded to turn out in the end?

well, im slightly modifying the end result because my friends and i want it to be able to take on all the rhino variants available with little effort.

here is the drawing/template im using. oddly enough ive been using this drawing as the template instead of the bare one i posted above:

gallery_35302_7108_30363.jpg

the front turret for razorbacks wont be embedded into the body, as say land raider style. in addition, the engine will be smaller and a rear hatch of some sort will be put in. although, things may change as i build and assemble the pieces.

right now i have the main hull 'brick' i made drying. once that is done i will start layering the plates and detail bits down. assuming the glue is dry by the time i get home from work tonight, ill post that pic as well.

I'm excited to see the way this goes. It strikes me as the kind of thing forgeworld would get up to, and so far your work it looking like it's up to the challenge.

I'm glad to see that my poking and proding finaly paid off. I've been pestering araekyus for almost a year now about trying to build this. The results so far are far better than I ever expected. I cant wait to see the final product!!

Progress update here. Just finished off encasing the hull with plasticard and affixing the rear access hatch.

gallery_35302_7108_1186398.jpg

parts used here:

LR inner sliding doors

smoke launcher halves

micro beads

and of course plastic :blush:

enjoy!

Araekyus,

Coming along nicely. I like recessed hatch with panel gaps.

So, powerplant-wise - tread-sponson engines (like the rhino) or do have something else up you sleeve?

well, right now the idea is to have that lower angle panel below the rear hatch be fitted with exhaust ports of some sort. im leaning towards this idea http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/3025133.jpg

have the power plant centered but off set the tubes, so one in from the hull and the other from the plant. kinda a lo-pro look. i thought about track side mounts, but the open spaces will be taken up by details, such as vented ports, or maybe a louver block on each one in the rear after the side doors. so thats the plan their unless i get a brainstorm and change everything heh.

another small update.

treads placed in and glued down, along with the angled tread covers and armor:

gallery_35302_7108_625114.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_395336.jpg

only thing left to do with these track sections is get the rivets inserted, drop in some bearings in the three large holes, some other little details and tidy up the seams.

enjoy!

edit: ok, first track pick here is a little blurry. sorry about that:/

Completed the front hull detail tonight, complete with headlight and driver box.

two pics here to show the detail (well, as much as the glare and iphone will let me)

gallery_35302_7108_453739.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_820557.jpg

lamps are just micro glass beads; the rest is all plasticard

Enjoy!

Completed the power plant and the exhaust stacks finally after many hours of thinking what to do. Decided that putting the stacks in the rear would not have looked right, so onto the tracks they went. I may add a tad more detailing to the engine and stacks bases, but we will see.

gallery_35302_7108_422678.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_971830.jpg

also got the rivet work done as well on the track sides. Just need to drop in some larger beads for the drive bearings and they will be more or less done.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Been a few weeks since my last update. And here is the fruit of my labor:

gallery_35302_7108_109976.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1282045.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1227112.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1468252.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_1283667.jpg

Wasn't too happy with the engine stacks i had built before. The joints didn't hold very well and overall they looked rather weedy. So i tore them off the tracks and started over. These new ones do resemble the current rhino engines a tad, as i did take some measurements from the standard kit. Much happier panda with these now. (no more engine changes, i promise haha)

The top hull plate is almost complete, just need to drop in rivets and a small bit of extra plate detail. The rear hatch idea replaces the standard top doors on a rhino so you can still fire two models from the fire points. the forward left accessory turret is not glued down, as i am still mulling over any extra items to add to it. The forward turret hole allows for a standard rhino hatch or pintle mount hatch, with or w/o driver.

And finally some shots of this beast blu-tacced together, and one with a marine for scale.

Almost done! Last on the list are some custom land raider doors, seam sealing, sanding and smoothing. Then begins the steps to make more of these for my army.....

Enjoy!

Archived