Storm Hawk

sar mikael

Hi one and all,

This is going to be a progress log of my pre heresy/ heresy era emperors children that I am going to make for a campaign Im taking part in, in December this year. The campaign build up and ideas and all the gumf is being put together by one of my friends over on Dakka Dakka and we're looking for other people to join in with us. There are plenty of factions you can play as, not just PA, but ill let you check that out on your own if you want, here:- http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/440020.page

So I have have decided to play as the Emperor's Children, I dont have any of the models as of yet, but have a fairly good idea of what I want to achieve. Im going to be basing the army choice around the Tempus Fugitives rules for the 40k expansion - Age of the Emperor (download linky http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/pdf/40k/A...0Expansion.pdf), but also make it so I can use the force in normal 40k games. More or less. Since reading the black library heresy books ive wanted to field the loyalist Emp C's, with either Solomon Demeter or Saul Tarvitz leading them, so original colours will be used, however as I am playing as the chaotic force I think if I field one squad of Noise mairnes going all mad and Kiss style rocking crazy with their sonic weapons- may have to make some guitars, and possibly one squad of termies with human flesh stretched over their armour this should keep in line with the fluff that happens in fulgrim and the force can be used together or seperately.

As all armies need transport Im wanting to make something a bit special for these guys. A Storm Hawk. Thats right, Hawk, not Raven or Eagle but Hawk- found in the Age of the Emperor downlaod. Funny how this was released well before the FW storm eagle release but the rules seem more or less the same. bar that here is the description:-

The Storm Hawk is a smaller, more agile transport from the same design lineage as the

Storm Bird. Used extensively for small operations, as the Heresy progressed much of the

STC data to build the Storm Hawk was lost although the Mechanicum have kept copies

so that if it were to fall completely out of service a variant could be reintroduced at a later

date.

I read this as an interim transport to bridge the gap between the Storm Bird and Thunderhawk so would have aspects of both craft. here is where i would like some advice/ help. this is my idea

gallery_41292_7126_1418356.jpg

storm raven fuselage, get 2 lay them down tail to nosecut/chop and plasticard (red bits) to make a Thunderhawk style fuselage.

gallery_41292_7126_997898.jpg

now do i keep the wings and engines on the rear storm raven or do i go for a larger, osprey/ harrier hover style mid fuselage mounted engines to have the Storm Bird styling incorporated there.

gallery_41292_7126_1662781.jpg

gallery_41292_7126_1597229.jpg

So let me know what all of you reckon to help me on my pre heresy way and thanks for taking the time to look.

Borderline, no... Straight up Illegal, yes.

You don't own the rights to the models, you can't make copies of them period.

its too bad too, since this has the potential to be very cool.

This varies from country to country, in many places it's legal as long as he doesn't sell them.

Still think the end result is too grainy, I'd switch to another material.

Yeah, it has the potential to be cool, but you should only ever use Instant Mold and stuff like it to replicate small details for press-molding and you should only ever cast converted pieces or full models you've made yourself. By replicating Forgeworld models you're essentially stealing the revenue they could get from multiple sales of the model, and GW and FW will have your kneecaps for it. Also, you haven't left any space for resin to be poured into the legs on the silicone mould.

This is what i was lead to believe. I agree and have read the same as Freakiq. so long as it is for self use, not selling, not for profit i should be ok. the amount of people i have seen on forums similar to this, doing exactly the same as i have is quite high. however if this causes any more problems or stirs up too much hassle ill drop it and just leave the storm hawk idea running. thanks for looking none the less. any comments on the paint scheme??? storm hawk??

In the UK, as long as it is strictly personal use and you don't profit from someone else's creation in any way then it's legal. Though it means in any way: No trading for normal marine legs for example, or entering it into a modelling competition which offers a prize or benefit and so on. I'd be careful and read up on the legal ramifications. Other than that, your storm-hawk concepts are promising.

HA HA, the chaos gods have removed any possible indescretions and only good stuff remains. thanks for the genuine concern people and i have taken this on board. All of this would never be for sale as i like my mini's too much, profit was never i thought and would have only ever been for personal use. never the less this never happened. ..................................................... so STORM HAWK??????????????????

Well I like the profile view of the SH although in my somewhat limited experience of making flyers even I would say that a front view is important for getting an idea as to what the model will look like :) Also, have you had a play around with the pieces you're suggesting? I would recommend getting your hands on the kit and seeing how it might fit together using two.

One other thing is that the fluff details that storm hawks are from the same lineage as stormbirds. For this reason I would suggest not making it simply a longer storm raven (ie, a thunderhawk/ storm eagle) but to make it something else entirely. Perhaps knock up some concepts for bulkier flyers, or even a landing craft rather than an assault craft. It's fluff says it's for smaller missions. I reckon that these missions will have less focus on ramming the enemy in the face and more on getting power-armoured boots on the ground. Is your call of course.

Of the two engine systems you've suggested I would go with the middle set engines (closer to the storm bird)

GV

In the UK and US you can cast anything for personal use alone. Sharing templates and such breaks those rules. Our founding father, Bother Argos, cast his own Steel Legion models, because he never ever intends to sell them or replicate them outside his own personal models. Its one of those rules as long as you abide by the spirit of the rule you'll be ok.

Thanks Marshall2 Crusaders. i thought that was the case but, lets err on the side of caution. Never the less that has settled my mind a little.

Gawain Veteris, yup your right, so ive done a quick sketch and hopefully itll give the right perspective from the fore quarter for both the standard raven wings and the possible uber fans.

gallery_41292_7126_627971.jpg

gallery_41292_7126_190912.jpg

Now im know im no artist but you get the idea. what do you reckon of the 2? i get what your saying about it being a baby storm bird a la:-

http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crusade/ar/t3248.htm

but that would open a whole can of worms, granted it may pay off but going that way may mean possible bulking out a valkyrie and then use the uber fan idea?? thoughts anyone?

I'd remove the Storm Raven Dorsal vent thing and go with straight wings, to keep the Thunderhawk aesthetic.

I agree, though id also expand the width of the hold and reduce the length to make it more squat and less like a fighter and more like a strict mass transport.

Any easy version (and what I did for my own Storm Hawk at the TF events) was to use the Chapterhouse extension kit.

I kept the intake, but removed the turrent and put a chin mount on instead.

If I get time later, I'll post pictures so ou can see.

Gotta say though, I really like the original idea and would keep the down angled wings for definite.

I agree with Emperor's Immortals; That is I think that the storm hawk should look like a smaller storm bird and not just a longer (and ultimately too thin) storm raven.

That said The first image that you posted seems to me to look far too much like a thunderhawk. Something more squat and mass drop like I think.

Have you considered combining the Valkyrie and Storm Bird Kits. My suggestion would be to cut the storm raven into halves and set each half either side of a converted Valkyrie gunship fuselage. That way you will have the bulk and to a certain extent the length if you put the storm raven rear on the back of the valkyrie. Just a thought. I'm interested in this project so I may knock up some sketches if you don't mind me doing so?

Cool beans, yeah feel free to post your ideas as to what it would like, the more ideas the better I reckon. I think that after a while I have to totally agree that the twin raven length would be too much, and as you said ultimately too thunderhawk like. So I was searching the net and messing around with a few ideas and I reckon something more like the star wars trooper transport- think its called a LAAT17 or something like that, but with the block like subtlety of marines added to it. I'll get drawing tomorrow and post it up here so you get an idea. I think I'm going to have to buy lots of plasticard!

Archived