LR Spartan - Bitzbox style

T14

Greeting Brethren

With FW releasing the LR spartan in the near future I thought it would be a fun project to dredge through the bitz box to build something similar out of old plastics.

The main components will be:

- Tracks: 2 old RT style Land raiders to mimic the newfangled stretched look

- Plasticcard and old metal vindicator bits for central hull and roof.

- Vanilla LR sponsons modified to fit larger laser destroyer arrays (with magnets to let me mimic any variants)

- Storm raven nose guns

- A liberal sprinkling of templariffic iconography.

The build should take no more than two weeks (months) with updates posted every couple of days (weeks).

Lets begin with the initial track mockup shall we?

Before:

gallery_6637_7162_35828.jpg

After a rough amputation. Shown along side a vanilla LR hull to show the approximate scale. Added to this will be the "snout" ofc.:

gallery_6637_7162_92638.jpg

My goal for tonight is to get each of the track sections joined seamlessly so I can start making the central hull in the next couple of days.

Cheers

-T14

Edit: hopelessly optimistic timetable adjusted

Cheers gentlemen.

Currently having fun with 100 grit sandpaper to get the joins just right. This one is getting close

gallery_6637_7162_10118.jpg

As for the detailing I will be loosely adhering to the overall shape and layout of the Forgeworld version, but detailing and greeblies will be dictated by the bits I have at hand be a mix of my own stuff and whatever bitsorder/FW stuff that strikes my fancy.

The sides will be a mix of the original LR with modern sponson and side hatches. I'll try to emulate the FW front HB turret and overall roof layout. As it will be a Black Templar vehicle it will need some gothic touches ofc. I will be looking to Dangerman's superb 3d models for some design inspiration :devil:

Cheers

-T14

Meh... time for a couple of minor niggles.

gallery_6637_7162_55593.jpg

1) I thought I could just line up track links on the outside and everything would line up square - Not so :yes:

In order for the upper and lower track sections to be straight, I need to have a "gimp link" on the bottom that's 50% longer than the others. While it isn't really a huge cosmetic issue I'd have preferred a truly seamless kitbash.

2) The tracks are not centered on the corner road wheels where I cut meaning that it is impossible to line up both tracks and road wheels underneath. I will need to remove the road wheel at the join and greenstuff a new one in. No biggie, but takes time

3) I have broken the track section seams, to get a better lengthwise alignment. The glue residue needs to be sanded down and I will then carefully realign the seams using polystyrene cement and clamps for better fit.

Cheers

- T14

• 2 weeks later...

Short update:

gallery_6637_7162_1228888.jpg

- Track assembly halves split, sanded and reglued to themselves and to each other. (4 pieces to each track)

- Vanilla land raider side armour cut up into parts for reuse on the spartan.

- 1 Laser destroyer array assembled, pending final gap filling.

My time table is shot to hell. I've come to remember how much I detest sanding, so I've ordered a motorized pen sander from Proxxon to ease my agony.

I've salvaged a derelict "modern" Land raider from the bits box and will be using the side armour and power plant in this project.

I will be making the front turret "Pill box" from plastic card in the shape of a horizontal gothic arch and the gun bits from the storm raven.

Cheers

-T14

Small update:

I am starting the herculean gap filling task and playing around with side mockups some more.

gallery_6637_7162_471438.jpg

The small gap between the rear axle housing and the door frame will (hopefully) be filled by a recessed gothic arch containing a schrine of some sort. I've ordered a set of Imperial bastion window icons on a whim. If they fit the space it will likely be them. Alternately it will be some sort of BT icon, or even some epic infantry models :D

I will have to make my own sponson struts, as the double-decker lascannons are a tad too tall for the standard sponson frames. I'll likely take another design cue from the FW version and go for a relatively unarmored look.

Say hello to my little friend: (yes, the moldline)

gallery_6637_7162_37568.jpg

gallery_6637_7162_87976.jpg

And finally I will need to order some FW bling; If I want to use FW rules it should include some FW bits, right?

BT doors #2, BT brass etch & Icon pack

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the front.

The front will borrow heavily from the FW version. I am looking for a prow that looks solid enough to ram with. As mentioned earlier I will attempt to have the armoured roof over the HB turret be a gothic arch. But I haven't really visualised all of the roof section yet.

Cheers

-T14

Hull Plans:

My first sketch is here:

gallery_6637_7162_229202.jpg

It is drawn 1:1 on metric grid paper. Each square is 5 mm to a side.

Stuff to change:

- Lessen ground clearance by 7 mm

- Push the power plant 10 mm further back

- The roof for the hull guns will need to be fiddled with "in the flesh" before I can figure out what dimensions look good.

Overall dimensions will end up being:

Length: 25 cm/10"

Width: 10 cm/4" (no sponsons)

Height: 8 cm/3.15"

Cheers

-T14

Whilst I mourn the passing of two RT style Landraiders, I'm looking forwards to seeing how this turns out :P

you sir, have inspired me to dig out my old RT LR bitz and start sizing parts up :P I do believe im going to follow your lead once my other two projects with plasticard are done. will be watching this thread eagerly. awesome stuff!

Cheers guys. :)

Well, after redrawning the outline 6 more times, I have this:

gallery_6637_7162_39264.jpg

The FW model has the snout breaking the track silhouette between the 3rd and 4th track link on the front slope. I've tried to do the same. I don't know to what extent the RT land raider and FW share geometry, but I have a feeling that the RT raider is taller than the FW one, making it impossible to mimic the silhouette exactly. I think this is as close as my skills allow.

I redrew the hull outline on the inside of the track section to make sure my measurements checked outgallery_6637_7162_71258.jpg

Sprinkle bits on top and I think I've arrived at something that merits a foamcore mockup.

gallery_6637_7162_100185.jpg

I'm not sure I'll get more done during the weekend though.

Cheers

-T14

Archived