Khorne Renegades

Okay so I was reading Legion of the Damned by Rob Sanders and I came across a ton of new Renegades and some old ones and I thought those of you who may or may not be struggling for warband names may find some of these intriguing as none of them have any real background fluff mentioned. They are as follows in order of appearance.

Goremongers Renegade Chapter(pg 165, 333, 334, 349)[see note 1]

Sanguine Sons Renegades(pg 334, 349)[see note 1]

Angels Apocrypha Renegades(pg 334, 335, 349)[see note 1]

Blood Storm Renegades(pg 334, 349)[see note 1]

Brazen Guard Renegades(pg 334)[see note 1]

Red Heralds Renegades(pg 334)[see note 1]

Thunder Barons Renegade Chapter(pg 334, 349)[see note 1]

Skulltakers(pg 334, 349)[see note 1]

The Cleaved(pg 334)[see note 1]

Dragon Warriors(pg 343)[see note 2]

Anointed Renegades(pg 372)[see note 1]

Crimson Covenant Renegades(pg 372)[see note 1]

Sons of Skalathrax Renegades(pg 372)[see note 1]

Note 1: You will notice that only a few warbands are listed as Renegade Chapters. This is because the Goremongers are indeed listed as a Chapter on page 156. And the Thunder Barons have been sourced as a Chapter in Daemonworld and the Soul Drinkers series. However, there is a slight matter of who the Skulltakers are. On page 349 it says:

"Amongst these were bands of tainted Angels. A young and fallen brotherhood. Warriors whose shame it had been not to see the slaughter of the Heresy and the apocalypse wrought on the sacred soil of Ancient Terra: Goremongers, Skulltakers, Angels Apocrypha, the Blood Storm, Thunder Barons. It was only after the renegades - young in the ways of the blade - had thinned out the enemy, leaving only the worthiest skulls for the taking, that the Pilgrim unleashed his warbands of World Eaters."

Now, this was from the POV of a World Eater. And on both pages that the Skulltakers are mentioned as "younger" Renegades. Which would, to me at least, suggest that they are not a World Eaters warband like Forgeworld says. Especially since only one warband of World Eaters was listed by name. That warband was called the "Clysm". However, it was wiped out to a man some pages later which is why I did not list it. Basically, BL has taken the stance, or at least Rob Sanders has, that the Skulltakers are not a World Eaters splinter. Or at least it looks like that to me since the book makes an effort to distinguish the Legion from the Renegades. Glean from that what you will.

Also, every warband mentioned on page pages 334, 349, and 372 are listed as being aligned to Khorne.

Note 2: Only one Dragon Warrior is seen in the entire novel. Just one. So it is unknown if he was apart of a larger warband or if he was acting on his own. However, he was listed as a "possessed Salamander", which would suggest that he is separate from Nihilan's warband since there were ever only two Salamanders in that warband. Now, I don't know if he was a possessed Marine as the context would seem it meant he was caught up in his blood lust. Just wanted to make that clear.

On another topic, the wiki is saying that there are Dragon Warriors who were made up of the Salamanders Sixth Company led by a Captain Tellerus in the service of Khorne. They are listed as a separate warband. But there is no source for this specific splinter. The only sources listed are the Codex and the Fireborn series. Has anyone ever heard of them outside of the wiki?

EDIT: Grammar

It is not clarified if it is a different warband or not. To be honest, it could be a different split similar to the Dragon Warriors. Or they could be like the Dark Tusks from Brothers of the Snake by Dan Abnett who were Tzeentch aligned but had many Nurgling(I think that's the adjective for it) attributes such as poisoned blades, corroded armor and they smelled of disease. The Lexicanum has them listed as Nurgle because of that even though the book says "Tzeentch".

To be honest, I think since Khorne and Nurgle are supposed to have a strong relationship when compared to the other Gods that the author was playing on that. Or had a brain fart. Or he is aware of some fluff that we are not.

They are the only three who are mentioned by name but that is it. But since they were mentioned by a World Eaters who was refering to members of his own warband as World Eaters even though it was named the Clysm, I would go with rookie. But it could be either way.

Think of it like In Void Stalker Kol...

A World Eater may have had dreams of conquest, and taken his squad on their own path of bloodshed. Through years of murder, slaughter and butcher, he may have gained a following of newer Khorne converts, and he may have had the ability to install psycho-chips into their bodies. However, his original squad probably dwindled in numbers over the years.

Eventually, the warband grows to a sizeable contingent, but the original warlord is killed in a duel by a more worthy successor. Despite the fact it's ORIGINALLY...a world eater warband...it's full of new bloods who were not there at Terra.. (the reference to void stalker being towards the end..if you read carefully, there's a silver plated lord in there)

It's the age old riddle...You have a wooden ship (SS. Whatever), if you replace one beam of wood, is it still the same ship?

What about if you replace EVERY beam of wood, completely rebuilding a new ship...is it the same? Despite the fact there's nothing left of the original.

I'd say that yes, some of these warbands are just renegade khorne newbies. However, some of them may have decended from World Eater lines, whilst others may have drawn world eater elements into them, like the IA Skulltakers character. Who may also be a single lord of the Skulltakers faction.

I think I remember this silver-armored lord. He was the Raptor who took a bolt round to the face to prove one Decimus' point right?

I get what you are saying. That's why I pointed out that a World Eater who also belonged to another warband was saying that these Renegades were new bloods. It's very distinct difference than if an Imperial saw it.

Indeed. Although I didn't want to spoil that little part of the book for people. Lol.

But yeah, They'd still be legion brothers.

Sometimes, I think that Warbands are just what the Lord calls his group of men in order to distinguish themselves. Like "The Castellan's own" for the 8th Cadian, (a thousand curses on their name). Despite the fact they're a part of an original legion/faction.

Oh. I just remember that part with a fond smile is all.

And yeah, that's my opinion about warbands too. The Faithless, the Sanctified, the Scourged, the Damned Company, the Bleak Company, the Sons of Skalathrax and the Claws of Lorek. The names go all over the place. Not a bad thing.

Archived