Maverike Primes Conversion challenge #8, Litanies and Legend

Greetings to all. I welcome to what is quickly becoming a regular event on the Bolter and Chainsword forums, Maverike Prime's Conversion Challenge. We've tried this a number of different ways and each version brings new obstacles to overcome. In our first challenge, we did a required Part. Beyond the required part being used in the conversion and being identifiable in the finished conversion, participants were free to do as they pleased for the challenge. The Required part was the Chronus Torso. The second challenge we did we used the main part of Lysander as the required part. With the third Challenge we changed things around and made it a "Counts as" challenge. In this case participants were challenged to make a Counts as Mephiston. WarInHeaven took over the next challenge and issued a challenge to Update an older model to stand along side the newer releases. Following that I returned to run the a Counts as Azreal challenge. Then I ran the “Make it work” Challenge. With the 7th Challenge we again changed formats by requiring participants to create a character by writing a short story and then creating a model of that character. In that particular challenge, the directive was for it to be a Squad level leader so Space Marine Sergent, Grey Knight Justicars, Chaos Aspiring Champions and Wold Guard Battle Leaders all made appearances.

In this challenge we are once again doing a story requirement, but this time it will be for a Chaplin style character. Basically show us a character who gives the motivation to your forces. The Wolf Priest leering over the battlefield as he selects the next aspirant to join the Space Wolves, the Word Bearers Dark Apostle performing a sacrifice to the dark gods, The Dark Angels Interrogator seeking the redemption of his captive, The Grey Knight Commander Leading the charge against the hordes of Chaos, or the Ultramarines Chaplin standing resolute against the monsters of Hive Fleet Behemoth. These are some of the ideas of what We are seeking here. Lets see you bring to life the motivator of your army. The Will that will burn a world or set it free. The heart that will see a crusade launched to the stars, or the light extinguished forever at the whims of fate. Give us a story, and then show us the model.

Now, the nitty gritty.

Rules and Information for the challenge:

What is this Conversion Challenge?

This conversion Challenge will be a 1 month challenge where in each participant will create a converted model within the guide lines set down for the challenge. In this challenge, the guide lines are to represent a particular character that you have created in a short story. This MUST be a character of your own creation. You can not just lift some info from a Black Library book, drop it into a post and call it a new character. You will need to submit a short story based on your character. Minimum 250 words. Try to keep it to less then 2 pages single spaced. We want stories, not books. The Story must be submitted either before the model, or at the same time as the model.

The Challenge is recorded has having started Friday the 18st of May, 2012. All entries must be submitted prior to 12:00 noon EST June 16th, 2012. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!

Limitation 1:

The conversion must be appropriate for this forum (Remember, we are on BolterandChainsword.com after all)

Limitation 2:

All submissions should be based on game appropriate bases, 40mm base or 60mm base are appropriate for infantry based models, while biker and 100mm bases are acceptable for mounted models. Try to avoid putting the conversion on bases larger then those.

Limitation 3:

The Story MUST be submitted before, or at the same time as the model.

Limitation 4: .

No Vulgarity in the stories. In-universe passages such as "Emperors Black Bone" and "By the curse of the Dark Gods!" are acceptable , however phases such as " :D You!" and "You god :cuss piece of :cuss " are not.

When is the Challenge?

The Challenge is recorded has having started Friday the 18st of May, 2012. All entries must be submitted prior to 12:00 noon EST June 16th, 2012There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!

How do I submit my conversion?

Post pics of it. There are several free image hosting services available online including Photobucket and Flickr. You can upload your pictures to those services and then post links to them in a thread on this forum. If you encounter difficulty in getting the pictures uploaded, I encourage you to ask for help. For additional information on taking good pictures of your miniature, We suggest you take a look at the B&C's Photoshop Tutorial: Profession Pics of your Minis.

What do I need to submit?

Pictures. for simplicity sake, I ask that you submit 5 shots of your conversion.

1) Front or head on shot

2) A shot from the left side

3) A Shot from the right side

4) A shot from the back side

5) A 3-view shot from the front-right, or front-left. You're choice.

Here are Examples of Each shot:

head on shot

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/head-on.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing right toward the camera.

Left Side shot

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/left-side.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing To the left edge of the frame. This helps give the judges a sense of the depth of the model. What may look like a flowing cloak from the front, could be shown to be a flat panel from the side

Back shot

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/back-shot.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing directly away from the camera.

Right Side

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/right-side.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing To the right edge of the frame. This helps give the judges a sense of the depth of the model. What may look like a flowing cloak from the front, could be shown to be a flat panel from the side.

3-view

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/3-view.jpg

This is the "Damn! Does this guy look hawt!" shot. It also helps give the judges a better sense of the model as a whole.

Where do I send the pictures?

On this forum. Submit a post in this thread.

What about painting?

As already stated, this is a Conversion contest. Not a Golden Daemon or Golden Bolter. You will receive no extra credit for a good paint job. In truth, painting your conversion before we announce the winners will probably hurt your chances at winning as painting tends to hides a conversion.

If you have any questions about this challenge, please post them in this thread: Interested in a conversion Challenge? I want to keep this thread for Submission of entries only. I will post in the thread to keep it visible until the end of the submission period.

If you have any questions about this challenge, please post them in this thread: Interested in a conversion Challenge? I want to keep this thread for Submission of entries only. I will post in the thread to keep it visible until the end of the submission period.

Yes I just said the same thing 6 times. In the past there have been issues with people submitting questions about the challenges in the submission thread rather then the discussion thread as directed and these situations have lead to some rather heated exchanges from other individuals in response to the breach of understanding. So I am making every effort to bring this point to the attention of those interested in competing in this challenge.

And with that, the challenge is now officially offered and begun. Good luck everyone. We look forward to what you can throw at us.

Niiiicccee!!!! Participating in dirge caster's A Tale of 17 Gamers and the Dark Angels painting and DIY:IA challenges has most of my spare time covered, but I'm gunna try. I can see which bitz I want to use already....

Cheers,

Jono

Yeah, I am in too now.

So here is my story. Sorry its a bit big.

Jarak squinted in the half dark, peering down the dirty hive street. Here and there other hive dwellers went about the daily meagre existence. Jarak smiled coldly to himself. Theses mewling cattle had no idea what lay beneath their very feet. Soon though, the Herald promised, soon they would be brought into the light, just like he had. He unconsciously touched the amulet beneath his grey clothes, a sign of his devotion. He cast another quick furtive glance around the street then quietly slipped unnoticed into the darkness of an old building. Once this had been a hab block, but now it lay mostly empty. Glaring lights flickered on and off down the halls, each flash temporarily stealing his night vision before plunging him back in the dark. Vermin scurried out of his way as he moved along the rusted passages. Jarak had walked this path so many times now he had little to fear of becoming lost. In his mind he counted his steps from the door, thirty one, thirty two, thirty three. He stopped and, feeling around in the dark, gripped onto the large mat covering the ancient trap door. He shoved the mat aside and then, heaving on the ancient rusted door, swung the trap door open. Pale light from beneath flooded the hall way and, despite himself, Jarak glanced around nervously. Swallowing his fear the young boy dropped down onto a ladder and then climbed slowly into the room below. As his feet touched the cold iron floor below he whispered the pass phrase,

“ The light comes ” his small voice was swallowed up by the pressing darkness. Jarak waited for the reply. He knew to move forward before he did would likely mean his death.

“ Its Herald is here” eventually came the reply. Jarak moved forward into the dimly lit room. At the far end of the wall stood another of the Herald’s mortal servants. This one was Kalise, once a Hive Ganger Kalise had turned her attention to a far greater cause. She held an autogun, likely stolen, in her hands and she gave him a quick look over.

“ ‘bout time you got here, Jarak. The Herald’s been waiting for ya’ and with that she entered a code on the panel behind her and the door she was guarding slid open. Jarak walked quietly into the room.

This was the room the Herald had turned into a shrine. The heady smell of incense filled the room along with the dull droning of chanting. At the far end of the room Jarak knew was where he would find the Herald, surrounded by his five giant bodyguards. The five guards had come from off world, along with the Herald. They never spoke outside of their chanting, at least within his earshot. Like the Herald they would be wearing thick robes, their only visible skin covered in scars. Jarak was sure each of them could easily tear a man in too just with his bare hands.

As Jarak approached the back of the room he came to a complete half. The Herald and his guards were where they always were, chanting as usual, but instead of robes they wore armour. Vast plate sheeting, covered in iron trimming with horns and baleful runes shimmering in the half light. Now they looked like the Angels of legend. Towering over the five warriors was the Herald. Clad in similar plate to his guards the Heralds plate was black instead of the burnt orange of his followers. Various skulls and holy books hung from his armour and he held a dark black smouldering mace in one hand. The weapon seemed to draw in the very light around it, projecting an air of despair and longing. The only thing that remained of the Herald’s previous appearance was the iron mask he still wore. Jarak had never seen him without it. The mask was an expressionless human face, and yet it seemed to draw the eye. When one looked at it the iron face seemed to stare back. It seemed to see all your failing and desires, all your hopes and dreams. And it you would feel in your heart that they were nothing compared to the desires of the God the Herald’s foretold. Jarak fell to his knees before this emotionless God of War whom stood before him.

Herald Icarin looked down with disgust at the boy cowering before him. Such human frailty disgusted him. Yet that was why he was here, at the bidding of his master, the Lord of the White Talons, and indeed at the bidding of his God. This world was soon to fall to the forces of the Dark Covenant and he had been sent to sow the seeds of the planets fall. Icarin raised his hand and the chanting of his five brothers ceased.

“ Speak Jarak. What news do you bring?” Icarin’s voice was cold and emotionless from behind the steel mask. The boy took a moment to gather his thoughts before he spoke.

“ Word is that most of the PDF are being pulled off planet, something about too many pilgrims headed for Tasryn…” Jarak said, his voice breaking mid sentence. Although no one in the room could see it behin his mask a cold satisfied smile spread over Herald Icarin’s face.

“ Good, my master’s work is coming together. Jarak, gather the Faithful. It is time to bring the light to this blighted world.”

I can't be left behind on the story front, so here's mine:

Miranshah was weary. Very, very weary. The battle had been hard, lasted for days longer than either he or his charges had had any expectation of; he was starting to feel his years and he had endured his last ritual sojourn in the home deserts perhaps a little longer than had been wise.

“But such is the duty of my office.” He reminded himself sternly as he surveyed what was left after five weeks of warfare. “High Priest Tefnut once told me rather sharply that if it was easy, any fool could do it. So it is again.”

Adding to the problem was the simple fact that his augmetics had for too long been neither physically tended nor their spirits supplicated and were making their displeasure abundantly clear. He whispered a quiet prayer of forgiveness, hoping more than expecting that this would suffice in the short term. Pulling himself to his full height, leaning on his Crozius-staff a little more than he would have liked and donning the ritual jackal mask of his calling, he prepared to rejoin his brothers. Their spirits and souls required his attention as much if not more than those that kept him alive. For in truth it was his brothers’ faith which sustained his as in turn did he sustain theirs.

“All is in readiness.”

He looked back from the horizon and found one of the Anubian Guard before him, helmet doffed and looking solemn, pained and low even within the great bulk of his armour.

“Then we proceed.” He replied simply, nodding and allowing the terminator to proceed him down the slope as the assembled members of his Chapter shook themselves out of their respectful silence and began to congregate around the trestles upon which the fallen lay. Miranshah felt inside the pouch at his waist for his obsidian knife, reassuring himself that it was still sharp enough to perform its’ duties as he hoped he was to perform his. It was time to serve once more. To remind them and himself of the things that were truly important in their souls. A duty that would never end except in his own death.

“And perhaps not even then?” He wondered in a murmur as his eyes noticed the hulking form of Venerable Reshp, interred in his dreadnought armour centuries before, and unlikely as it seemed he smiled within the mask. After all, that wasn’t such a bad thought to keep in mind, was it?

So today is a good day. Not only did my results for cancer come back negative after a doctor's visit- but my bits for the conversion challenge arrived via the mail today as well! The Emperor's glory has shone upon me this day!

So today is a good day. Not only did my results for cancer come back negative after a doctor's visit- but my bits for the conversion challenge arrived via the mail today as well! The Emperor's glory has shone upon me this day!

WOW! That is a glorious day brother! :)

WOW! That is a glorious day brother! :lol:

That is not a good day. That is the very definition of an epicly superb day.

To be fair- it was just a test for skin cancer not something overtly serious like lung cancer, but still- not needing some skin grafts is good news. This whole ordeal has convinced me to quit smoking as well though. No sense dodging one C bullet only to take another though, haha.

With any luck, I can have some conversion wip shots up by the weekend.

Sounds like fun. I am just starting a Raptors force so I fancy doing a little model to inspire me.

Count me in with 10th Company Chaplain Egrim Kalistor

Cheers

The Yak

Archived