Painting a Megaforce

So, I decided it was time to show off some of what I've done and what I'm doing for E TENEBRAE LUX. My vow was pretty big, but the short version is that I got a megaforce as a Christmas gift, and now that I'm on break, I have time to paint it. That's 2 tactical squads, a command squad, a company master, a scout squad, a land speeder storm (that one doesn't count, sadly), a venerable dreadnought, a drop pod and a land raider crusader. The even shorter version of that is "a lot of stuff to paint".

Here are some pictures of what I've done so far. The pictures could be better, but it's what I have for now.

The first tactical squad:

Primed:

gallery_47252_4509_50740.jpg

Halfway there:

gallery_47252_4509_6005.jpg

Finished:

gallery_47252_4509_45481.jpg

Hanging out with the rest of the third company:

gallery_47252_4509_168217.jpg

And the scout squad and venerable dreadnought, both primed. The unassembled metal figure in the background is Azrael, and he's not currently part of my vow. That may change.

gallery_47252_4509_63864.jpg

You know, I have absolutely no use for scouts in my army, but I still have fifteen of them now, because they're just so much fun to paint. Each one of the 5 man squads has a different camo scheme, just to keep things interesting. The ones in the LS storm may get a fourth, provided I can think of one.

Better pictures to follow. (As soon as I get around to borrowing a nice camera and finding some time to take the pictures.)

--BoR

Ok, I'm back, and this time I have pictures that are actually good. So far, for my vow, the scout squad has been almost completed (more details on that later), the tactical squad is finished, and the venerable dreadnought is about halfway there.

Tactical squad:

gallery_47252_4509_2737133.jpg

Scout squad. I originally vowed to have a missile launcher for these guys, since I didn't bother to check what actually came in the box. Fortunately, the parts I needed are available online, so when they arrive I'll have to do a a bit of swapping and repainting, but these guys are basically done.

gallery_47252_4509_4021499.jpg

Just for fun, a comparison with my other two scout squads:

gallery_47252_4509_3412614.jpg

The dreadnought WIP pics:

gallery_47252_4509_1040640.jpg

gallery_47252_4509_1549447.jpg

...and I completely forgot to get the close combat arm in those pictures. Oh well.

Still to go are the rest of the dreadnought, the company master, a command squad, another tactical squad, a drop pod and a LRC. I also have Azrael, Ezekiel, and Asmodai waiting around as potential additions to my vow, depending on how fast I get the rest painted.

--BoR

• 2 weeks later...
New pictures: The ommand squad, including my (somewhat simplistic) rendition of the Standard of Devistation, the Company Master, and a group shot of everything I've done so far for ELT.

gallery_47252_4509_3581326.jpg

Hmm. The focus is a bit off in a couple of those, sorry about that.

--BoR

I am a big fan of the Standard of Devastation. I hope the new codex gives us back our variant standards.

[Off Topic]

Bringer of Redemption, is that a Command At Sea badge in the background? Yours?

[/Off Topic]

Very Respectfully,

--Unforgiven

Unforgiven, you're right, that is a command at sea badge, but it's my dad's. One of many different pieces of memorabilia from his career spread around the house.

Devastation has always been my favorite of the Sacred Standards, but I admit that the different rules for them predate my getting interested in 40K

--BoR

• 5 weeks later...

Well, at long last (and a week and a half later than I said I would be on the ELT strategy thread, sorry) I'm finished. One Land Raider Crusader and one Tactical Squad, the final elements of my vow.

gallery_47252_4509_2878589.jpg

gallery_47252_4509_329984.jpg

Group Picture:

gallery_47252_4509_4430887.jpg

Well, as much as I enjoyed painting all of that, I'm feeling kinda burned out (especially after the LRC-painting the whole thing by hand instead of finding a bone spray was a mistake) so for now I won't be doing a second vow, but I might do a smaller one later on.

--BoR

New pictures: The ommand squad, including my (somewhat simplistic) rendition of the Standard of Devistation, the Company Master, and a group shot of everything I've done so far for ELT.

You're being overly modest - 'cause it's awesome - as is everything else there. Well done on the vow.

Cheers

I

Well, in the end I decided to go for a second vow, and I got a chance to rediscover how much fun painting single models (rather than turning out big batches) can be. The vow is Ezekiel and Asmodai, with Asmodai counting as a plain Interrogator-Chaplain.

So far, Ezekiel's done, and work has started on Asmodai.

gallery_47252_4509_1971549.jpg

gallery_47252_4509_276013.jpg

gallery_47252_4509_4082722.jpg

Edit: The picture doesn't show it because the angle is wrong, but Ezekiel has an old style first legion marking on his shoulder pad, mostly just because I felt like it.

I should be done by next monday.

--BoR

Isiah, the reason I got both of these models is that they're awesome sculpts. I knew they wouldn't be used as part of an army much (though that may change now that 6th is out) but I couldn't resist having them.

That being said, my second vow is complete. Asmodia doesn't have a banner because I don't have any greenstuff to make one with, and I couldn't find a paper one that I liked online.

gallery_47252_4509_242073.jpg

gallery_47252_4509_3760322.jpg

--BoR

Archived