Extensive WIP Storm Talon Conversion

Hey Guys,

So I *wanted* to like the Storm Talon, so much so I impulse bought one in london yesterday, and as I need some occasional hobby time to myself, I spent this afternoon hacking the kit up to see if I could get an aircraft out of GW's brick on turbojets.

I didnt have time or tools available to make all the changes I wanted, but Ive fixed what I saw as the main issues,

I noticed quite a few other Talon Conversion in this forum with some similar ideas, Its good that there are at least plenty of options for improving the kit! Heres my version-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/talon2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/talon1.jpg

Alterations-

-Assault cannons directly integrated into the nose cone.

-Rest of Nose trimmed down to make it a lot more streamlined and sleek looking.

-Missile pods integrated into the top of the fuselage. Again, to make the craft sleeker and more aerodynamic. If Id used the lascannons or heavy bolters, I would have integrated them into the sides of the nose cone.

-Old tail fin cut in half and used to make new engine wings, which are longer and thinner and have control surfaces, more realistic for horizontal flight. I cut off the old top fin completely and used one of the engine side fins to make a new tail upright.

Hope this provides inspirations for other people who dont like the original Storm Talon! very happy to answer any specific questions about the build.

Cheers,

AH

very nice work! The one thing that excites me about the Stormfinger is the improvements that excellent modellers like you are starting to make and show off...

That looks great, nice work. Without straying away from the original design too much and using the kits parts.

I like the missle rack across the top the best, I found when doing mine a lot of those parts have complimentary angles for the rest of the bodywork.

hey,

Thanks very much everyone!

Yes this conversion only used the box content, a pair of clippers, flat needle file, and some brute force where necessary!

Its still WIP, nothing is glued yet.

Here are some photos showing the tail assembly and the main modifications to the base components required to make this-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/talon4.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/talon3.jpg

A few people have said it needs a bit more work on the tail, some horizontal wings for example, which is a fair point, the easy way would have been to use the original tail fin and original engine wings.

As Ive choosen the hard way, Im going to have a think about it and see what I can come up with. Stay tuned.

AH

I still hate that model. I don't think it is salvageable as a kit. I've been considering how I would modify one for weeks. But what you've done with it is a vast improvement, lol. So congrats. The missile pods on top doesn't work for me, but it's a clever idea and it's fortunate that they match the existing contours so well.

Looks very nice, I think I'll do something similar with the one I'm gonna be picking up. I like the shoulder mounted launchers, looks alot like the stormeagle. BTW, would lanspeeder horizontal tail surfaces be too small? I have a pair that I may try & use.

It is a bit depressing that it seems the model is so easily and readily improved by everyone compared to the stock method.

Its depressing that GW mad the original so bad, but being able to easily improve it is surely, a good thing!

Thanks for futher feedback everyone.

Ive had a think and Ive figured out how to make the tail section awesomer still using the base kit, so Ill get some new photos up as soon as I find the time to work on it.

@Redstar, personally I think the land speeder ones would be a little flimsy, they are a lot thinner IIRC.

Cheers,

AH

My favorite conversion of the talon by far :tu: I like that not only did you just use what came in the box, but it has a small/nimble look to it. I personally don't like the longer tails that others convert.

P.s. keep the tail as is, it looks cooler that way :tu: besides, it doesn't need a horizontal tail if the rotating engines can perform the same purpose.

Archived