Harleqvin's WIP, 7/2/22 Azrael conversion WiP post

Harleqvin

As said in my vow on the ETL thread http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...2368&st=175
I am vowing a 5-man Assault Squad with a Rhino (Power fist, 3 Plasma pistols, Combat shield, Meltabomb, Pintle-mounted Storm bolter and Hunter-killer missile,) and a Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought (Heavy Conversion Beamer, Graviton Gun, Extra Armor, Searchlight, Carapace-mounted Cyclone Missile Launcher and Targeting Augury, from IA: Apocalypse 2nd Edition pages 24-25,) from Codex: Dark Angels of total value 526 points

I will update later with a full break down if it is needed (let me know if it's needed.)

Here are 3 pics of the units.

Edit - I deleted links as Photobucket sucks!!! Sadly lost the three photos... :biggrin:

Edited by Harleqvin

Thanks! I actually have several of those old rhinos. I have some of the new ones but am thinking of just finishing them and sell them so I can get the Deimos pattern because it reminds me of the old one. Lol

Edit - some minor spelling errors.

Edited by Harleqvin

• 2 months later...

Well I have finished them to a tabletop goodness. I didn't get as much done to them as I had wanted to do but a bunch of RL stuff happened, one of which was my Grandfather passing away, so I had less time to paint and whatnot but that's ok. I think I would be a big :censored: if that stuff didn't get in the way :smile:

So I have several shots, a group and several closer ones.
So here is my painted Pre/Heresy style Dark Angels Assault Squad with Rhino and Contemptor.

Group

Closer shot of the Assault Squads Rhino and several of the Assault Marines without JumpPacks

Closer shot of the Contemptor and Sergeant and another Assault Marine from the Assault Squad

and a Closer shot of the left side of the Sergeant

I hope you guys like them.

Edited by Harleqvin

These are just sooo cool. Great looking models and paint scheme. Love the old style rank-denoting helmet and shoulder pad markings used on the sarge. And the freehand chapter icons. Really great work here!!

Cheers

I

These are just sooo cool. Great looking models and paint scheme. Love the old style rank-denoting helmet and shoulder pad markings used on the sarge. And the freehand chapter icons. Really great work here!!

Cheers

I

+1(x 1Krillion), we don't see nearly enough pre-HH stuff around here this stull is epic!!

Love the extra armour and other gubbinz on the Contemptable, it really suits the C-beamer too, well done.

Sorry to hear about your loss, remember the good times, they are forever.

stobz

Edited by Stobz

These are excellent looking models, man. I'm glad you decided to get into the challenge after all! As soon as we get a chance, I'd like to get some photos of these in the JAC Games photobox, and get them on the shop FB page. They turned out just incredible.

Thanks guys! and thanks Stobz, I will definitely remember the good times =D

True, Zerorunner. We need to get these up at the JAC to get some pics to go up on the FB page. When I get a chance I will put pics up on my FB, too. lqtm

Very, very cool.

How have you made the extra shielding on the front of the contemptor, as I'm sure that's not part of the full kit.

The glows on the plasma are bang on as well - people seem to have been going really over the top with the whole OSL thing recently, but yours are spot on for my money.

Thanks, Eeps! The extra armor is actually from an old Rhino. It's the same type of front doors as the ones on the Rhino I have in the pics. I just cut them a little and pieced them together. Funny thing is it makes me think of the front of an inclosed IG Sentinel. lqtm I have it magnetized as are almost everything on the Contemptor. I went a little overboard on it so I could see what I will magnetize for my next Contemptor which will be a Chaplain Styled. I even got a NecroSphynx Skeleton head for it :)

I was going to use some old Chimera treads for more around the legs but I kinda was running low on time and went without it.

I was trying to not go too overboard on the plasma glow and hoped it didn't seem to much. I know if I were to make a plasmagun marine, where the coils are really close, I might make it a bit more then but not with it as far away as it was for these MkII Assault Marines :)

Also I will later add some pics of the Contemptor without the Extra Armor as it is magnetized so you guys can see what else I did to it. I will probably add them onto this thread just to make things simpler and not just make a bunch of threads that deal with the same army lol

Edited by Harleqvin

Congratulations on Your vow completion Brother; great work!

It is never enough pre-heresy Unforgiven goodness; so on top of your great painting skills You get a huge bonus on the theme too!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Uhr! :biggrin:

Testing something with pics hopefully it works. lqtm
closer pic of the Contemptor without all the clutter

and a shot of the right side

WooHoo!!! I can use FB instead of Photobucket for pics! :laugh::cool::laugh: Edited by Harleqvin

Yeah. It is magnetized and that was the original spot then I put the Extra Armor on and went "but it would be shooting right into his face now." So when I use the EA it will be put onto the Shoulder as it has a ball magnet in it and attracts it too. Also it is more on the abdomen... :rolleyes: Edited by Harleqvin

Thanks, FC! I had fun doing this and am glad that people appear to enjoy what I did. I sometimes feel like it's not good enough but that's just how I am with myself when it comes to art, painting and drawing. Been that way for the longest time and my advanced art teacher from high school had told me that my only real problem was that I am a bit of a perfectionist =/ so the compliments are very appreciated! I will do more to these as said I feel like it's not complete for what I "really" want but once again that's me being how I am :yes: Most likely it will be weathering powders and some other detail stuff like altering the color of the basing on some of the bases, maybe throw some grass on there some where. I got this stuff to a table quality atleast :HQ: You guys may see what looks like more stuff done to the one Marine with the cloth on the left shoulder pad. I had done that one first so it had a bit more done to it as it was when I had a lot more time to work on it and then stuff started happening slowing my hobby time.

I plan on doing more in this style, all my army, but may be waiting a little bit to see what ForgeWorld does with The Horus Heresy books it's doing dealing with the Legions. I will most likely still be doing the same style I currently have done but may add some things. I know I don't plan on changing the markings style for ranks and vet status but it may be that I will be adding stuff. Yae! More to do lol As said it all depends on FW for how I continue my Pre/Heresy styled Dark Angels.

One of the things I am planning on doing as mentioned above. Lol. I just based them so they could be table ready. But they will look more like the marine with the cloth on his left shoulder. I may even do more to its base too. Once again as mentioned in the above I quite often never feel finished with stuff.....

I need to do the same with the ballast on the edges on the Vet. Capt. Contemptor's base as well. I need to name him & the rest. But I will set promethium to that bridge when I get done with all the details I am going to do.......

• 2 months later...

I haven't done anything new to my previous models to make them more than just table ready. Except got painted up the assault cannon so it could be used in a game.

but I did get some work done on my Int-Chap (Brother Redemptor) model in TDA while I was putting together more Warmachine Cygnar for someone.

I added some swords to a couple of wings. Cut the top of the Crozius off and added a more DA styled top to it. Removed the crux terminatus from the left shoulder. Added some DA dreadnought Leg covers as additional shoulder pads. Cut off the Stormbolter and magnetized it, so I can then magnetize the Combibolters I got from FW from their Tartaros weapons pack. I also removed the Aquila from it's booty plate. Why in the name of the emperor there was an Aquila on it's booty plate I will never know.....

I know it still has quite a bit of Icongraphy on it for it supposed to be Pre/Heresy but I think the top guys would have abit on them. Edited by Harleqvin

^^^ :lol: :D ;) ^^^

Does anyone have an idea if they will leave Chaps in TDA how they are and not let them take a powerfist? I am contemplating magnetizing his bolter arm. I know the PA Chaps can have a powerfist. Wondering if any think it would be worth magnetizing the arm just in case?

Edited by Harleqvin