Heresy/Scouring Era Ultramarine Captain + Command Squad

tagsta

Hello Community,

I converted a Heresy/Scouring Era Ultramarines Captain from the Helbrecht Model. I have to say finecast is incredible, I would have never managed to convert a metal Helbrecht that way and scrape off all the templar details...

Anyways, I need suggestions/help/input:

Cloak Design / Freehands/Decals on the Cloak:

Do you think that a Large Ultramarine Symbol or Imperial Eagle would work well on the back?

Should I paint the inside of the cloak with a different color, other than red?

Background:

Do you think the model works well to represent Captain Remus Ventanus from Know No Fear, or does he look more like a generic Chapter Master

(E.g. 11th Chapter - Chapter Master Vared)? I believe Remus Ventanus was described with MK IV or Praetor pattern armour which wouldnt quite match the armour on the model, hence the thought..

Anyways, here are the WIP pictures: (Please keep in mind that light conditions are not perfect)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/IMG00389-20120610-1520.jpg

This member of the XIII Legion is equipped with Artifcer Armour. It is likely that the Legionaire is an early veteran of the Great Crusade that replaced damaged parts of his original Mk II suit with parts of the heavier Mk III "Iron" armour.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/IMG00390-20120610-1520.jpg

the blade is yet unpainted and will be blended from different metallics..

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/IMG00391-20120610-1520.jpg

UM decal/heraldry will be added to the little shield on his pauldron.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/IMG00392-20120610-1520.jpg

Combi Melta was largely remodelled from plastic parts and is unpainted yet

I am highly unsatisfied with the backpack and might close the vents with GS, since the matt varnish messed up the vents!

Cheers,

Tagsta

Yay you started a thread anyway ;) Awesome dude!

If you want him to be remus you could easily do that, just say it's prior to his armour upgrade to mkIV :P And yeah definitely do some white iconography on his cloak! Maybe a white trim/edge with an aquila incorporated or something like that ;)

Yay you started a thread anyway :D Awesome dude!

If you want him to be remus you could easily do that, just say it's prior to his armour upgrade to mkIV ;) And yeah definitely do some white iconography on his cloak! Maybe a white trim/edge with an aquila incorporated or something like that :)

thanks! yes there will be some U's on the armour + cloak!

ok i will think about/researchg a design for the trim/edge, sounds like a good idea!

until then some traitors (also WIP):

see Alpharius, and... erm... Alpharius:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/IMG00397-20120610-1635.jpg

From reading the books that feature AL, it seemed logical that these traitors would disguise themselves with loyalist looks, also in the 41st century.

I could picture the Stealth Cell leader acting like an imperial Space Marine Captain to mess up whole formations of imperial guard and to gain access to certain facilities...

What do you think? :)

just had an idea, if you can freehand it, try the ultramarines U, with aquila wings coming out of it (like how sometimes they have a skull in the center instead of the eagles body)

thanks for your suggestion! I might patch that together from 2 decals and cover it with white paint... seems a little easier than freehanding it :D

looking good mate :D

i especially like the alphas!

one thing though, the paints on your ultra look quite thick compared to the alpha legion paintjob.

The Ultra Captain got my attention, but the Alpha Legionaires.... holy crap, they're beautiful! I'd giive my right arm to know how you painted them!

Great job, man!

The Ultra Captain got my attention, but the Alpha Legionaires.... holy crap, they're beautiful! I'd giive my right arm to know how you painted them!

Great job, man!

Would you tell us for two arms, tagsta? ;)

Ludovic

Love that captain. Really nice model their, and the paint job is very good as well.

thanks mate!

I love your Alpha Legion! And the use of the BT's High Marshal body is great :P

Ludovic

thanks for the compliment!

looking good mate ;)

i especially like the alphas!

one thing though, the paints on your ultra look quite thick compared to the alpha legion paintjob.

sounds like a bad excuse but it is a little too much daylight combined with matt varnish that hasnt dried 100%

but...you...you...

You managed to convert Helbrecht. That's a huge feat dude. Props, he looks fantastic. ;)

And on closer inspection, would you mind sharing your recipe for the gold? It's perfect.

thanks! I think metallics are my greatest weakness and this is the only model where i managed to pull it off halfway decent:

recipe is:

1. Step: 50% Vallejo Beasty Brown + 50% Vallejo Model Color "Brass"

2. Step: Vallejo Model Color "Brass"

3. Step: Drybrush with GW Burnished Gold

4. Step: Drybrush with GW Shining Gold

5. Step: Wash with GW Gryphonne Sepia and a tiny bit of Devlan Mud

6. Step: Drybrush with 50% GW Shining Gold + 50% GW Mithril Silver

I think the Mitril Silver edges really make the metal 'pop' a lot more!

A sword... and a scabbard?

What heresy is this?!

Seriously though, great conversion and the metallics are looking very nice too.

thanks! gotta love the GW scabbards!

Great job, man!

Thanks!

The base color is 50% Vallejo Model Color Deep Green + 50% Vallejo Game Color (...) Turquoise (sorry the label is rubbed of on the bottle, i assume it is the Vallejo equivalent to GW hawk turquoise)

the highlights are blended with GW scorpion green while the shade is blended with the base color + some regal blue + some black...

Sorry for the difficult explanation, I painted the alphas using a wet palette and it is really difficult to get the colors together. I hope you get the idea, if not let me know and I will attempt to explain better

Great job, man!

Would you tell us for two arms, tagsta? :cuss

Ludovic

please see above, now get me your arms!!!

How exactly did you convert helbrecht, did you replace his entire torso?

exactly... chopped of the torso and replaced it with a FW mkIII, then i scraped of the combi bolter and remodelled it with plastic bits and then remodelled the cloak around it.. that light thing that helbrecht carries in his left hand was also scraped of along with the scrolls and purity seals

Pretty sweet Helbrecht conversion, tagsta. My one citique is the combi-melta - it doesn't appear to be attached to anything...

Maybe a chain between it and under the backpack might help?

Pretty sweet Helbrecht conversion, tagsta. My one citique is the combi-melta - it doesn't appear to be attached to anything...

Maybe a chain between it and under the backpack might help?

very fair point! i am going to add one of those mini forgeworld chains!

Archived