Knights of Blood

Hellooooo everyone

So, recently I decided to start a new army, take a step back from the Shadow Remenants renegade marine army that has taken up much of my time and more of my wallet of late, and move on to something different, something unusual, something that isn't space marines...

And picked up the blood angels codex, read about the Knights of Blood, and decided to do some more Space Marine Renegades.

This is, in point of fact, the first time I have ever done a named army, and not some collection of homebrew nonsense. I'm aiming to take this army to 5 Dragons next year (A welsh warhammer 40k tournament held in Warhammer World), so I decided to build something competitive and killy, with lots of assault marines.

They will be made of a mix of standard marine parts, blood angel parts (of course) and black templar parts, which is always fun

Being knights, psychotic, bloodthirsty, heretical knights, but knights nontheless, I decided to give everyone that mattered a name from Arthurian Legend, expect to see a librarian called Merlin if I take one.

Anyway, first up is my chapter's Honour Guard, made primarily from the Death Company parts because I'm an idiot and don't plan to run any.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0292.jpg

Sir Erec the Standard Bearer. Since I couldn't find any left-handed power-swords in my collection of bitz that has been building up over the years, I did a little chopping and changing to give him one. He'll be carrying the standard marine banner, which I will attempt to freehand on, I'm atrocious at painting, so it will fail horribly, but learning curves are fun ^^.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0289.jpg

Sir Yvain the Smiter. Made good use of that wonderful thunder hammer that comes with the DC kit, he looks kinda like he knocked someone over as he landed, and is about to turn them into a fine paste.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0287.jpg

Sir Lancelot the Bloody. Named 'most likely to betray his lord', and the resident nutjob of this honour guard, the two falchions are from the Grey Knights kit, and here represent Lightning Claws

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0288.jpg

Sir Gawain the Brave. Resident axe-man and holder of the holy Plasma Pistol. Named 'The Brave' in reference to the fact that he'll actually hold the dangerous gun

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0291.jpg

Sir Bors the Healer. The local Sanguinary Novitiate, he makes sure no-one in the unit dies, and is the only non-horrifyingly-psychotic individual in the group

Moving on from the calvaclade of nutjobbery that exists among the Honour guard, I'm also planning to take a 10-strong unit of Sternguard, mounted in a rhino, because Sternguard are horrifying, and their bullets more so. Here's their boss.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0294.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0293.jpg

I gave him a power fist, they're not meant for combat, but sometimes things get too close and need to be rendered two-dimensional. He keeps the bolter though.

Barrels will be drilled out as soon as i remember where i put my drill

C&C very much appreciated

S

Very flavorful army, looking forward to seeing the painted version as I don't think I have ever seen a complete Knights of Blood army. Also how did you not have a left hand powersword? I'm pretty sure the Honour Guard box come with one.

Thank you for the reply, I always like flavourful ^^

It's entirely possible that the honour guard box has one, but I've been working out of the Death Company Box

I have, however, since noticed that the Black Templar sprue has one, but I like this one better, so it stays ^^

It's not that I don't like them, and I may include them at a later date, when I expand this army beyond my initially planned parameters, but I like my models controllable when I'm planning a tournament list, and as I've been suffering crippling defeats in every game in the tournament for the last two years running, I decided i want something I can keep on a tight leash

an I'm going more for 'noble' than 'nutjob' with this army

1000 point doubles tournament, and the organisers are the staff members of 5 of the GW stores in wales, they're always pretty good about conversions and 'counts as', provided the counts as is consistent across the army and you make it clear what's what to your opponent beforehand, it's a pretty relaxed tournament

Oh I played in a doubles once. My BA and my friends Chaos marines, we rhino rushed the hell out of 'em. Except the first round, when we fought Tau and Orks. The funny thing is I said when we built our list 'This should deal with eveything except the off chance someone plays Tau and Orks.' I guess there was no way the Gaming Gods were letting me get away with that one.

Great start looking forward to seeing them painted up in the knights of blood colours. What colour are you planning on doing the robes? I think black would look good to go with the silver and red armour.

Good luck with this project

...something different, something unusual, something that isn't space marines...

And picked up the blood angels codex, read about the Knights of Blood, and decided to do some more Space Marine Renegades.

I very, VERY rarely do this, but...

LOOOOOOOOOL :lol:

I switched from Loyalists to Traitors myself so I know what you mean. But hey, stick to what you know, right? Anyway, the models are looking pretty characterful, and while I can't ever approve of any Matt Ward army for their rules or fluff or anything else, I can appreciate effort being put into building and painting awesome minis. And those, sir, have the potential to be awesome minis.

Good luck!

Od.

Looking good... Only thing is that technically the Knights of Blood aren't "renegade" in a traitorous sense, only that they have been branded it, as they are said to still "purge the galaxy of the enemies of the Imperium". They were just a bit too crazy...

Keep it up!

Thanks for the replies everyone ^^

@The Yak: I -was- considering blue to act as a contrast colour, or possibly doing each set of robes in a different colour to perhaps represent different bloodlines, or each one having its own little coat of arms, depends on how lazy I feel when I get to painting.

@Osdox: Glad to see I made someone laugh with that :), since there's not much fluff for the Knights of Blood, I will be writing a little myself for the army, so you can read my terrible writing instead of Ward's

@Forgefather Vulkan: Indeed, much like my previous army. I've always had a thing for the marines that, while not technically liked by the imperium, are still working for it, just without all the beauracratic nonsense

Also, some updates!

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0295.jpg

The rest of my sternguard, led by the recently-named Sir Cador the Eagle-eyed, while not the fanciest of all sternies, their paint-job will mark them out from standard tac marines, as well as the fact that they have shinier boltguns than all the rest. Veterans will be getting red helmets rather than silver, and anything in the HQ slot gets a gold one

Also, i dug out a conversion I did aeons ago, and thought I might have him leading my Vanguards

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0296.jpg

He was originally going to be a librarian, but i think this role will suit him much better, his name shall be... Sir Tristan the Unyielding.

C&C always very much appreciated

S

Wow! They look awesome!

And I dig the names of the guys in the jump squad. Kinda like Monthy Python on high quality crystal meth.

Updates, tasty, delicious, updates

So first up, Gawain the Brave, as suited to his name, has been chosen by his lord and master (me) to be the paint-job-testy-person. just the initial silverification done so far, but here's how he looks

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0306.jpg

The silver's a bit bright in person, but nuln oil will take care of that

Next up, the big bossman, and some fluff

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0304.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii631/Terrofex/IMG_0305.jpg

Captain Artorias, made largely from spare parts and bitz cannibalised from older models. And going from my theme, his name -has- to be Artorias (not Arthur though...) He'll be getting a loincloth before long

Artorias looked over the battlefield, noting with a twist in his features that the orks were swarming the plains below like so much vermin. He held out his hand and Bors placed his helmet in it. He fastened it into place, the hydraulics and life support systems sealing him against the elements.

"Green scum." He grunted, pulling his blade from the ground in front of him and hefting his storm shield into a comfortable position. The customised item had been gifted to him as thanks for help rendered by one of the younger Blood Angels successor chapters, who had inherited it from the parent chapter. The gleaming bronze feather-like structure crackled with energy. The sight of their commander preparing himself for battle had his honour guard making similar preperations. As he watched the battle below, he spotted an assault squad fighting beleaguredly against a mob many times their number. They were holding out well, but for every Ork they slew, two more took its place. He gestured down to the melee. "There, hit them hard."

He gunned the engine of his jump pack and ran forward, trusting in his men to follow him as he lept forward. The twin turbines roared as he lept from the cliff, driving him straight into the midle of the mob, where he landed on a suddenly very two-dimesnional Ork. He lashed out with his power sword, slicing two of them apart with practiced ease. Moments later, the rest of his Honour Guard landed in a similar fashion, the ground shaking as Yvain landed hammer-first rather than feet-first, knocking several of the foul creatures to the ground.

Blocking a choppa with the shield, a burst of energy knocking the offending attacker to the ground, where he was quickly crushed by the sheer number of Orks trying to get to grips with this shining sky-warrior, Artorias began to fight his way through to the embattled assault squad. Glancing back, he saw his leiutenent, Lancelot, carving through legions of the foe. His twin swords sending bursts of lighting where they struck, the jolts speeding his movements, and making any wound he caused that much more grevious. Bursts of plasma fire and the meaty sound of power-axe meeting green flesh marked where gawain was fighting, and the low boom of thunder hammer strikes and the sight of flying Orks showed that Yvain had his enemies were well in hand.

On the other side of the mass of foes, Sergeant Palemedes looked up from the Nob he had just dispatched and saw the chapter's banner flying proudly, and heard the sounds of battle unique to his captain and the honour guard. He grinned beneath his helmet and lashed out with his power fist, pulverising the Ork in front of him and coming face-to-face with Artorias. He nodded to acknowledge his superior. "My lord, thanks for the help." He shouted over the din of combat, turning to fatally backhand an ork that had decided to try and sneak up on the marine. Artorias chuckled. "Couldn't let you have all the fun, could I, any of your men injured?"

This conversation occured while the two marines were still cutting their way through the massed foe. "Two of my men have suffered broken bones my lord, and Richard has fallen. I don't think he's dead, but a choppa took his arm off, so he's probably in bad way."

The captain nodded at this, shouting through the communication array implanted in his helmet. "Bors, see to Richard, the rest of you, fight your way to this position and be ready to execute maneuvre Beta-four." An explosion rocked them as a looted Leman Russ landed on some Orks nearby, pieces of the machine flying everywhere, cutting several of the monsters apart with shrapnel that bounced harmlessly off the powered armour of the marines. Artorias looked up at cliff him and his honour guard had lept from, zooming in on five figures standing up there. One of them gave him a half-salute, while the other four trained their long guns on another target, lances of energy cutting the air in front of them. He chuckled, then turned back to the task at hand, slaughtering the greenskins that packed around him.

C&C as always, greatly appreciated

Archived