Flesh Tearers + BA Chars W.I.P

Gondow

Hello.

I desperately needs help on how to make the power axe of Astaroth look good.

2012-07-01%2000.49.57.jpg

Link to the pic

I have never done a powere weapon, and I don't want the standard blue on Astaroth.

I thought that a warm yellow would compliment the red/bone of the figure...

C&C very welcome.

Hello.

I desperately needs help on how to make the power axe of Astaroth look good.

2012-07-01%2000.49.57.jpg

Link to the pic

I have never done a powere weapon, and I don't want the standard blue on Astaroth.

I thought that a warm yellow would compliment the red/bone of the figure...

C&C very welcome.

hello there, i think if you want to make that power axe look a bit more striking, you should try and paint a brighter colour inside the lighting you have already painted. and if you can, do an even brighter yellow - maybe even white or bone - to make it glow

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, any tips on how to better freehand this?

Something I came up with for the Flesh Tearer I painted was to paint the shoulderpad black, then paint a white circle in the middle of the pad, as neat as you can. Tidy this up with black.

Them, with thinned black paint, draw diagonal dashes going from a mm or two into the white circle out into the black pad, do this all the way around at regular spacing.

I can get a pic up to show you if you like.

• 2 months later...

The first thing I'll say is that colored lightning isn't one color... or at least, bright, colored light isn't.  It's a white hot core with an aura of the color that surrounds it.  You can fade some of the color into the white, but look at these pictures of colored lightning:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xuzDUDvyzi0/UATeaBPZ8-I/AAAAAAAABjU/vfPMP8cdmfc/s1600/pink_storm.jpg

http://www.examplesof.com/photography/lightning/yellow-lightning.jpg

Second thing I'll say is that you could complement your model better by not even doing lightning.  Maybe fade a black blade by the haft into a bright blood red on the cutting edge... If you want to stick to the black blade, though... I'd say make the blade black, then fade in red, to orange to yellow in glowing patches and then strike with the brighter core color.

To add to what exetus has posted, when I painted my (really) old Space Wolf Rune Priest, I came across this youtube video on how to paint runes.  It helped me a lot.  It shouldn't take too much to "translate" what he shows in the video into painting lightning etc.

Hope it helps! ^_^

Thank you for the advices!

Hmm, He did take a fall to the floor...
I could take that as a opportunity to repaint him for the ETL! ^^

some more WIP pics, actual models this time!

2013-05-19%252023.07.37.jpg

2013-05-19%252022.28.45.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'll post the pics of the finished vow, have to do the once over before declaring :)

Contemptor

2013-06-17%252013.46.45.jpg

Baal + Razorback

2013-06-16%252012.28.37.jpg

Land Speeders

2013-06-11%252021.39.30.jpg

Captain Tycho

2013-05-30%252020.46.26.jpg

And the Devastators!

2013-05-25%252011.52.53.jpg

oh, any tips on how to better freehand this?
2012-07-01%2023.14.07.jpg
Seargent

In the case of the fleshtearers shoulder pads (admittedly a fairly narrow field) you can pick up a pack of ten finecast ones (that are okay, not brilliant ho) from GW, as well as a transfer sheet.

This isn't to discourage you or imply that its impossible, just that there are other ways of doing this particular thing :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived