The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

With only six more weeks until school begins and the world never hears from me again, I thought I'd post *some* of the depressingly large number of things I'm working on.

The Achilles is almost finished. I still need to paint the lamps and lenses and the iconography on the left side of the tank. I'll likely add a bit of ice and snow, rust and dirty up the treads, and maybe touch up a few other things here and there:

gallery_60019_7476_123751.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_2011.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_104495.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_380556.jpg

I just put together the Caestus Assault Ram a few weeks ago. I generally let things stew for awhile before priming. Sometimes when I go back and look, I'll see I could have added something else or that something should have been removed (I didn't do this with the EC I posted last year, and he is a bit over the top with seals). Anywho, here's what she looks like so far:

gallery_60019_7476_101324.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_31419.jpg

The chaplain dreadnought is the closest to finished that I currently have. I still need to add snow and ice, as well as touch up the eyes and paint the lenses. I didn't do OSL on the lantern, but I may. The problem is that the arms are magnetized, and the swaps don't have any light sources. That may have to change, though:

gallery_60019_7476_318903.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_124536.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_179931.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_319421.jpg

Here is my new terminator squad with marshal and reclusiarch in TDA. The 8 of them will go with a LRC I have primed but not yet built. They're some of the most recent WIPs, so I need to base them, touch up the putty in places, and possibly add a couple of tabards. I like the Space Hulk detail, though (once I de-bloodified the iconography), so I may not. Or I might. Who knows? The chaplain I'm still working on. I need to extend his tabard and templarify his other bits. You'll likely see some mold-lines on these, as they're very much just begun.

gallery_60019_7476_315577.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_42447.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_36583.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_161165.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_181704.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_24581.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_186102.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_335883.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_386498.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_114988.jpg

And finally, here's the techmarine I mentioned in another thread, along with his ancient lead bike. I'm not happy with the way it looks still. You won't see in the photos that follow, but I have increased the size of the gas tank and engine and have lengthened the front fork. I may build an over-sized front wheel out of putty also, but I'm not yet certain. It's in the sit-and-stew box.

The original bike. Nasty. Hadn't touched it in probably 15 years, maybe 20:
gallery_60019_7476_173495.jpg

The bike, cleaned up a little and chopped:
gallery_60019_7476_123481.jpg

Working on axe positioning:
gallery_60019_7476_198638.jpg

With harness. I removed the butt of the axe and will add a small skull instead:
gallery_60019_7476_12826.jpg

I really like the LR and the Tech Marine on the bike is cool but how is he driving with no hands on the handel bars?

Ahhh. He'll have cabling leading from his helmet and chest piece to the instrument panel and 'gas tank'. He's a techmarine, so he has access to all kindsa fancy hands-free equipment. :D I've not yet decided if I'll actually remove the handlebars, but if I do leave handlebars, I'll replace them with ape-hangers. I'm also replacing the extremely dated twin-linked bolters with newer models.

~K

First things first In regards to that painted tank and chappy dreadnought:

:D

Holy crap, that is gorgeous! That is probably one of, if not the best tank ever. And that dread, hot damn!

Can you please share all the relevant recipies for how you did these? (Though I'm guessing there's none for godlike painting skill)

It's kinda awesome seeing you do the same thing to the SH terminator set as what I did, and seeing how you go about accomplishing it. That chaplain solution ended up way more elegant than what I did (though, as someone else pointed out to me, the librarian tubes are still showing on him, my own suggestion was to trim them down and cover the ugly tracks with chains.)

Seriously looking forwards to your next update

Can you please share all the relevant recipies for how you did these?

Mind sharing how you achieved your black? I can never get black to look right.

Well ... for the dreadnought, I primed with black and painted over with german grey and dark grey (vallejo). Then I went up from there with whatever color struck my fancy. My photos stink (iphone camera), but I used blues, greens, and maroons as well as some lighter greys. The lightest colors I painted in parallel lines in the highlight areas. I've yet to wash over that with any darker colors (you can see on the left shoulder plate on the dread where I just started that process -- above the "Heinman" plaque.

For the tank, I did as with the dreadnought but without the parallel striping. The lightest colors on the tank are water-soluble oil paints (they thin with water and dry much faster than regular oils, but still have a long working time -- maybe two or three hours). The deeper recesses are actually airbrushed metallics. First a coat of Allclad II Baremetal jet exhaust followed by a coat of steel. I buffed the heck out of the top coat so that the jet exhaust shows through.

Really, though, I kind of make it up as I go. :mellow:

Thanks for the kind comments. Here's a pic of what I have that's painted (or mostly painted). The dreadnought in the back is my first templar piece. As such, it leaves a lot to be desired, but I'd rather paint new stuff than repaint an old plastic dread. I apologize in advance for the photo quality. It's pretty horrid.

gallery_60019_7478_191383.jpg

edit: I forgot to trim a quote.

(though, as someone else pointed out to me, the librarian tubes are still showing on him, my own suggestion was to trim them down and cover the ugly tracks with chains.)

Are you talking about the tubes coming vertically down from his collar to his waist? I didn't know what those were, to be honest. I'll likely trim them away and build up the tabard so that it looks more like a BT tabard and less like a girly BA toga. That should cover up the tracks. (Unless you're talking about the tubes hanging below the belt ... which I think are scroll tubes? I would think they'd be ok on a chaplain. (?))

Please keep the critiques coming. I can stare at these things for the rest of my life and not pick out something that someone else might see at first glance. I appreciate any help I can get.

~K

Loving the colours mate! look similiar to mine im doing at the moment :mellow: Is it ok if you were when you have time to post some detailed pics of your Initiates and your Speeders :) ??

Regards Brad.

First off, excellent work. Everything looks really impressive. I am jealous of the olde english script work and I am definately going to work on my lettering. This is exactly why I keep coming back to these forums. Looking at the projects other people are working on makes me want to run to my bits box and start building something.

With only six more weeks until school begins and the world never hears from me again, I thought I'd post *some* of the depressingly large number of things I'm working on.

Amen brother. I am trying like hell to finish my assault marines and jump pack chaplain before school starts in eight weeks-- at which point I will be locked away in a library far, far from my paints and clippers. Oh, and today I ordered 3 kits to finish out the two crusader squads (one cc, one bolter) that I started this winter...

Thank you for posting these during the calm before the storm.

Amazing work so far brother. Not only am I jealous of your painting skills, but I wish I possessed half the figures you displayed in the first post. That Achilles alone would suffice. And youve truly made it look even more awesome than I thought was even possible for the model. Since I first saw it and the Space Hulk figures I knew I wanted them for my crusade but was always hesitant on ruing such awesome pieces without a benchmark to go by. Very inspirational work in the templarifying of these models. Look forward to more!

I tacked on a tabard for the reclusiarch to get rid of those annoying tubes. (No closet librarians hiding in my crusade, thank you very much!) It's a bit rough right now as the epoxy is still wet. Once it hardens, I'll use a scraper and smooth out the imperfections. I'll also add something to the iron halo where it joins to the skull so that it doesn't look glued on, but I knocked off the IH while modeling, so the glue has a little while to cure first.

gallery_60019_7476_312382.jpg

~K

Very impressive Brother!

I especially love what you've done with your black on the Achilles and the Chaplain dread. I really like dirty, gritty Templars and your are just marvelous. I can hardly wait to see what you do with the Caestus.

Cheers,

Is it ok if you were when you have time to post some detailed pics of your Initiates and your Speeders :yes: ??

Sure thing.

Here are two squads of initiates and associated neophytes (and HQ in the back in a couple of shots):

gallery_60019_7478_94101.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_368591.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_490768.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_108781.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_99930.jpg

And here are the speeders. I have two more, but they're only half finished, if that.

gallery_60019_7478_312924.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_122251.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_157985.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_633622.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_611996.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_124608.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_104517.jpg

And here are some old models. I posted them last year, I think, but had cleared out my albums since then. Please ignore if you've already seen them -- I'm just posting these for the new guys.

Marshal's LRC. I'll probably add some ice and snow to it sometime soon, assuming I get the time...

gallery_60019_7478_511009.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_194645.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_86408.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_485688.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_320705.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_288446.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_459857.jpg

And my Templar Dread:

gallery_60019_7478_265980.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_510574.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_512671.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_30989.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_25258.jpg

~K

Stunningly beautiful mate. :( This really is top tier stuff.

Edit: Set up proper photography booth and get some quality shots of your models done. Such splendor needs to gain a wider audience than just on here. Show them on CoolminiOrnot and send pics to Forgeworld. I'm willing to bet that FW would love the opportunity to showcase them on their facebook feed. You do your Chapter proud!

-T14

Some seriously awesome stuff you have Krikey! Well done, both on the modeling and painting side! You are making me question my decision not to get the BT etched brass from FW (and my painting...).

May I ask where the TDA marshal's sword and TDA chaplain's head come from? Those look great!

Very nice, rugged look to them and great iconography!

can I just ask what you used for the text?

I hand letter the text, but I cheat a little. I print out the script using Old English Text MT in a similar size. (For the LRC, I even made a templar cross template and cut my finished text in the cross shape so that the corners would give me reference points.) Then I copy it to the model with a soft pencil (pencil shows up on pretty much anything except some metallics, as it has a metallic sheen itself) and cover the pencil with paint. The paint on the model is cured pretty well by the time I do this and also has a dullcote finish, so if I foul up the lettering, I just use a stiff brush and erase it with water before it sets. I usually paint the edges and then fill the center (or leave the center blank). If I'm doing light text on a dark background, I wash it with sepia-tone washes with more wash toward the center of the line of text. It's probably not as difficult as I'm making it sound ...

You are making me question my decision not to get the BT etched brass from FW ...

May I ask where the TDA marshal's sword and TDA chaplain's head come from?

I love the etched brass. It's reasonably inexpensive, and one sheet usually details two tanks and multiple other models. It makes painting detail much, much easier. It's also malleable enough that you can place the etched side on a piece of hard silicone and tap the back with a ball-peen hammer -- this lets you fit it to curved surfaces such as shoulder pads with a minimum of fuss.

I believe the marshal's sword comes from an old metal chaos terminator cast. The blade had a screaming demon face from which I removed the upper portion, leaving the mouth. I covered the empty area with a brass templar cross. The TDA chaplain's head comes from the inquisitor-scale (54mm?) Eisenhorn model. It's the head of his daemon staff. I had to cut off the iron crown and adjust its position to get the head to fit properly.

I...just...ugh.

Your work makes me want to quit trying.

Accept any challenge, no matter the odds, brother! Such work is an inspiration. It blows the limit in your mind as to what models can look like. Once more, awesome work Krikey.

Archived