Brother Nemiel's Army Blog

Brother Nemiel

Hi all!

First time poster. I've finally gotten of my lurking behind and created an account.

This is just a blog for my army. I plan to mostly use it to spur me on and thusly keep on painting. I've been painting now for about 4 weeks. My goal is to keep painting a squad a week. I've built my army from what I happen to have at home scavenging stuff from other unfinished armies I have at home plus from my bitz box. Funny thing being able to mop up an army of about 1750 points from unbuilt boxes and other stuff lying about :pinch:

I've not played with new rules (6th edition) yet. I'm going to wait until this army is built and then play with it. I have been challenged by Necrons, Tau and Nids so far. As soon as I hit my list, the first game is up.

Since everything is scrounged up from stuff lying around, there is no particular battleplan regarding except aiming for a shootier list than a CC oriented.

And as you have pickup up, it's a dark angel army. I hate to give any cred to the orks, but in one regard they are correct: Green is best!

Here is what I'm aiming for:

HQ

Company Master w/ Powerfist, Melta bombs, Combi-Plasma

Librarian w/ Melta bombs

Command squad w/ Standard Bearer, Apothecary, 2x Plasma gun, rest with bolters

Elite

10 Scouts w/ Missile launcher, 8x Sniper Rifle

Fast Attack

10 Assault Marines w/ Melta bombs on Sarge

Troops

10 Tactical Marines w/Melta Bombs on Sarge, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter

10 Tactical Marines w/Melta Bombs on Sarge, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon

10 Tactical Marines w/Melta Bombs on Sarge, Plasma Gun, Las Cannon

Heavy Support

Predator w/ Autocannon turret, Las cannons sponsons

Predator w/ las Cannon turret, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Unless my Math skills have totally failed this should amount to 1740 points.

So far, I have painted to following:

- Company master

- Tac squad w/ Hvy bolter

- tac squad w/ plasma cannon

- Scout squad

Proof of this:

gallery_67898_7492_140332.jpg

My color scheme is a classic, GW retro style, extreme highlighted, Cartoony version of the mountain dew marines:

gallery_67898_7492_131155.jpg

All greens painted with GW's new paints according to paint guide. Weapons painted with old GW colors. Bases are a mix of old foundation paints and new pelennor fields color scheme.

I am going to build a new version of the company master since I do not quite like the current version of him. I would much rather have the other older company master with the combi-plasma and hoodie.

My librarian is DIY here's a pic of him:

gallery_67898_7492_46485.jpg

That's all for now.

Blog to be updated when new models are built and/or painted.

Thanks for your time. The Emperor protects...

/Brother Nemiel

(Edit: spelling)

I hate to give any cred to the orks, but in one regard they are correct: Green is best!

Don't you mean: green iz da bestest eva!

in all seriousnes, the finished guys look good. and as my army is all salvage and second hand.......kudos, thats awesome.

Brother Nemiel:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the librarian; that's an impressive parts bash. Your army looks great. The Mountain Dew pic brought a smile to my face. Perhaps the can could double as a 'scratch built' drop pod.

FC

@furioso-prime & FinylCut:

Thank you for your kind words!

I've been at this game for a long time, but this is actually the first time I've been this obsessed with paiting an army. No longer will my friends face a sea of grey.

@FinylCut:

I'm actually a bit intimidated at the prospect of painting that much detail. I was aiming at an interpretation of Ezekiel with the model. But after I paint another tac squad it's time for my next priming session. After that it's do or die... or paint or die the be more correct.

Update: New stuff built

First there is a new Company Master:

gallery_67898_7492_57400.jpg

A try at making a Interrogator-Chaplain:

gallery_67898_7492_33423.jpg

Not really happy with his face, but it will have to do for now.

Command squad getting along:

gallery_67898_7492_58718.jpg

Apothecary coming a bit later. Still waiting for parts from a friend. Banner to be painted separately. The two guys on the right will have plasma guns. Which will be painted separately.

All flash will be removed before priming on all of the above.

Next up: Painting a third tac squad with plasma gun and missile launcher. I have until next sunday to finish up.

Should look impressive in Mountain Dew style. Company Master and Chaplain look good conversions. Chaplain's 'face' will look better when painted I think – you are being too self-critical.

Cheers

I

• 1 month later...

Update:

- Better images of old stuff (though still taken with a crappy phonecam)

- Painted Libby

- Painted predator

Several other units in various stages of production, but I have decided that I will not post pics of them until they are painted. Better to keep me going by displaying only finished units/IC:s.

Librarian

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/Agragor/Warhammer/Dark%20Angels/WP_000416.jpg

The banner still needs some work, provided I can summon up a steady hand (which is hard I think). I should paint a small version of the 3rd company logo in the small square. Perhaps I should run a poll whether people think he has a sword or a halberd... It's supposed to be a sword, but it got a bit long... Never mind, the new starter box has a brand new libby.

The non-DIY Company master

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/Agragor/Warhammer/Dark%20Angels/WP_000412.jpg

Almost no comments... I have a better DIY-version coming along...

The Troops & Scouts

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/Agragor/Warhammer/Dark%20Angels/WP_000420.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/Agragor/Warhammer/Dark%20Angels/WP_000434.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/Agragor/Warhammer/Dark%20Angels/WP_000440.jpg

Predator

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/Agragor/Warhammer/Dark%20Angels/WP_000459.jpg

Still missing minor details (headlights, a few purity seals etc.), they will be added as I go along. Now it's atleast ok to put down on a table.

They following has been added to my to-paint-list:

- Venerable dread (options for plasmacannon and lascannon)

- Whirlwind

- Another predator

- Another DIY Chaplain

- Squad of assault marines

I seem to have a nack for building stuff and not painting. I'm working on quitting the bad habit...

That's all for this time I think.

Until next time! The Emperor protects...

/Brother Nemiel

Oriignal and a good look. An original approach. Mine are 'dirty' yours are 'striking' while maintaining a dark edge.

Good choice on your company btw ;) 3rd rocks! :lol:

Thanks for your kind comments! I, for better or worse, quite influenced of GW's old school stuff so the large contrasts in color fits me. Plus it's quite easy to paint which is a huge bonus for me. Some people who run blogs here are quite scary regarding their ability to paint.

Do you have any pics of your paint scheme? I'd love to see it.

3rd company FTW! Easiest to paint ;)

I like what i see so far, so keep going ;)

Thank you for your comments and your encouragement, my good fellow!

I love the Librarian and Interrogator-Chaplain conversions. I'm honestly sort of jealous. I need to step up my game when it comes to my conversions. haha.

Your paint jobs look great in the blurry/dark photos. I would love to see better what they look like. If you lean a white piece of paper so its half on the desk and half on the wall, set your models on it, and us a desk lamp to illuminate the paper/models horizontally you'll get better shots of your models. I'd love to get a better look. :)

Those look Fantastic!!! Very nicely done! I do like the hooded chaplain conversion. Do you mind if I ask how you did that? I take it that's the hooded dark angel veteran hooded head?

Would love to see the Interrogator Chap painted. I did something similar by carving out the helm and using other pieces for a skull beneath the hood.(for non DA) What piece did you use for the chappy's face?

I love the Librarian and Interrogator-Chaplain conversions. I'm honestly sort of jealous. I need to step up my game when it comes to my conversions. haha.

Your paint jobs look great in the blurry/dark photos. I would love to see better what they look like. If you lean a white piece of paper so its half on the desk and half on the wall, set your models on it, and us a desk lamp to illuminate the paper/models horizontally you'll get better shots of your models. I'd love to get a better look. ;)

Thank you for your comments! Modelling and conversions have always been more my thing than painting. Mainly because I have trouble keeping steady enough hands... I'll try taking few images with the white background and we'll see how it goes. Trust me, they look better dark and blurry ;)

My phone seems to take ok pictures when take a photo of just one figure. Several at a time as more troublesome. But, I'll try and get back to you. Thanks for the tip!

Those look Fantastic!!! Very nicely done! I do like the hooded chaplain conversion. Do you mind if I ask how you did that? I take it that's the hooded dark angel veteran hooded head?

Thank you! Yup, the head is from the DA veteran "box" (read: plastic bag). I used a sharp clipper and snipped a "unhelmeted" head off. Then worked my way deeper until I thought it was deep enough. After that, a drop of super-glue-gel and drop in a half of a skull with tweezers. Presto! Instant skeletor... The rest is all DA veteran box, except the crozius arcanum & arms. The crozius is space wolf axe hands, axe handle from Space wolves and eagle from command squad sprue.

Would love to see the Interrogator Chap painted. I did something similar by carving out the helm and using other pieces for a skull beneath the hood.(for non DA) What piece did you use for the chappy's face?

It will be coming along with the rest of the command squad. Sooner or later it will be on my blog :)

I could be mistaken, since I found it in my bitsbox, but I'm pretty sure it's from the older orc boy box. I fiddled with an orc blood bowl team years ago and I think it's from that kit. I can't remember any other kits I have that would have had a skull like that.

Your stuff looks good! Nice and crisp, only thing I would add are decals. It gives the models a finished look. And welcome from another 3rd Company fan! ;)

Thank you! I have to take better pics of the infantry. They all have decals. The predator needs more bling. I am very aware of this. Now it's atleast table worthy.

Very nice models. Personally I would tone down the red a touch (make it a little darker), but I like what I see. :)

Thanks for your comment! I will have to see about getting better pics. The red isn't actually that bad "in normal light". My camera messes it up a bit.

I was sure I commented earlier but I must have had a computer operator input error...

Like the Mountain Dew look and the old style red bolters FTW ;)

I had a similar problem with the red looking strange in the photos and had to play with the camera colour balance before it came out right. But I would recommend going for a darker red on the weapon casings as Gillyfish has also suggested.

Brother Nemiel:

The librarian turned out wonderfully. I hope to achieve such a nice dark blue should I ever tackle one for my army. The text on the book is great.

FC

Why thank you! As I said, I was a bit nervous about it. Keeping a stead hand is a problem for me. I really managed it regarding the text in the book and the banner. Has to be a keep-it-steady record for me.

I was sure I commented earlier but I must have had a computer operator input error...

Like the Mountain Dew look and the old style red bolters FTW :)

I had a similar problem with the red looking strange in the photos and had to play with the camera colour balance before it came out right. But I would recommend going for a darker red on the weapon casings as Gillyfish has also suggested.

My thanks! I was inspired by old school GW and their garish colors of the nineties...

Is the red really that bad? It is mechrite red (two thinnish coats) with a single layer highlight of thinned out blood red.

My thanks! I was inspired by old school GW and their garish colors of the nineties...

Is the red really that bad? It is mechrite red (two thinnish coats) with a single layer highlight of thinned out blood red.

Its not bad, just bright. This clashes with the dark green armour.

When I started my 4th Company I went for almost the same red as you but have since toned it down to a Scab/Gore red washed with devlin mud then highlighted with blood red. This gives a much darker red (and works better on photos :lol: ).

Love your signature by the way :rolleyes:

Archived