BT Assault Marine Squad

Hello all. Just finished my test subject for a new 10 man assault squad with chaplain. More pictures of my painting and modeling progress will follow shortly (Reclusiarch Argon recently arrived at the local hobby shop). I am posting these pictures of my test figure to show off the color scheme and I am asking for any critiques and/or comments. I struggled with a design for the chainsword as well as a lighting effect for the jump pack. All comments welcome. Hope you enjoy!

gallery_67568_7471_53086.jpg

gallery_67568_7471_59335.jpg

gallery_67568_7471_77253.jpg

gallery_67568_7471_123548.jpg

I'm not sure about the use of unmarked bronze on the Plasma pistol muzzle, it looks like it's fresh from factory which doesn't really go well with the rest of his pose. To be honest I think plasma weapons in general should always have a bit scorching to remind everyone that they fire balls of plasma that are hotter than the sun.

I'm not sure about the use of unmarked bronze on the Plasma pistol muzzle, it looks like it's fresh from factory which doesn't really go well with the rest of his pose. To be honest I think plasma weapons in general should always have a bit scorching to remind everyone that they fire balls of plasma that are hotter than the sun.

This comment gave me something to think about and I have to agree with you. A while back I read a tutorial about making your own weathering powder by shaving artist pastels. It looks like I may have to give this technique a try sooner than I thought! Thanks for the feedback.

This comment gave me something to think about and I have to agree with you. A while back I read a tutorial about making your own weathering powder by shaving artist pastels. It looks like I may have to give this technique a try sooner than I thought! Thanks for the feedback.

I can vouch for shaving pastels into weathering powders. Works amazingly well.

~K

Finally finished the second assault marine! Whoop whoop. I am particuarly proud of his elbow armor and sword -- I have really struggled with a paint scheme for swords and I am very pleased with this effect.

gallery_67568_7471_86217.jpg

gallery_67568_7471_90909.jpg

Detail shot of the sword:

gallery_67568_7471_58440.jpg

I also finally assembled my jump-pack chaplain! Meet Reclusiarch Argon, all primed and ready to go...well actually, I have to clean him up a bit, but he is close...I ordered the GW jump-pack chaplain, but his crozius was bent to such a degree that it looked like a boomerang. The new crozius is about 60% modelling putty and though I am certainly not the best sculptor out there, I am happy with how this turned out. I will be looking forward to reading any input and suggestions about my progress so far.

gallery_67568_7471_38558.jpg

I love that huge new crozius! Very BT!

Kierdale, I was definately trying to build a crozius that could be spotted from across the table top and will hopefully strike fear into the hearts of my opponents. I am glad others appreciate the scale!

Reclusiarch Argon looks just fine to me! All he needs now is a good paint job for your nice sculpting work!

Keep it up!

Sir_Isenhar--I keep hoping to paint this guy when I get home from work, but it hasn't worked out so far this week. With any luck I will be able to post some pics of a completed and battle ready Argon by this weekend.

Thanks for the complements guys

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for posting an unfinished model, but this guy is taking me a bit longer than I anticipated ( along with car troubles, works schedule, etc etc ). I really wish I could use these guys to fulfill an ETL vow but, alas, I missed the initial vow deadline.

I still plan to add weathering powder to the plasma pistol, finish the base, touch up the gold highlights, and of course paint the jump pack. I used a slightly different technique to paint his armor to make it look more weathered than the rest of the squad. His jump pack will also have a slightly different color scheme. The scroll around his crozius states: Heretic Behold Thy Doom. I attempted an old english script but I fear the lettering lost some of the effect due to the scale of the model and my skill level. Let me know what you guys think! I hope you all enjoy.

gallery_67568_7471_51939.jpg

Archived