Counts as Storm Raven - UPDATED 15/03/2015

Rottimus

Ok so I've never really liked the Storm Raven design enough to buy one and build it, So when the Stormtalon came out I finally had what I needed to build a 40K version of my favourite ever Aircraft. The A 10 Warthog.

This is VERY WIP... Lots of gap filling to do and bits and pieces to clean up. But I'm posting this for some C&C plus I need some advice. See below for Questions

Here goes:
gallery_34407_5666_215961.jpg

gallery_34407_5666_411749.jpg

gallery_34407_5666_46652.jpg

The Avenger Cannon! (counts as twin linked assault cannon!)
gallery_34407_5666_137560.jpg

I also didn't understand why the Stormraven had air INTAKES on the wings, so i used the thrusters from the Storm Talon.... I think it works better.
gallery_34407_5666_698007.jpg

The engines still rotate, I'll do this when it enters hover mode.
gallery_34407_5666_326532.jpg

So? I know it's a bit messy, just completed the inital assembly tonight. I built 2 simultaneously, (don't think I'll ever need or use more than 2 storm ravens)

My questions are as follows
1) I'm not 100% happy with where the typhoon ML's are... Not sure it works.... was thinking of maybe adding them to the wings?
2) Seeing as this is a counts as Storm Raven, I figure people might think 'where do the space marines go? and where does the dread go?'

The answer to that is essentially, My chapter are on the brink of Renegadism due to tech heresy, (my main opponent plays an Admech Guard army)
I built what I call a Teleportation Projection array from the some techy looking bits. (which I'll attach to the belly)
Basically I'm saying that my ship can teleport the 12 marines and dread straight into battle using ancient/illegal/xenos tech...
Do people accept this explanation?

Thanks! and be nice!

Hey dude, totally sweet conversions there!!!! As for the missile launchers, theres two easy options. Firstly cut down that mounting point and have the flush against the main body, or secondly mount them above the cockpit, the shape fits perfectly and doesn't look bad either.

Eagerly awaiting progress on this beasty,

Cheers,

Jono

Wow, I really like this idea, but I agree with you on the missile pods. What if you mounted them under the wings, something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/LE4X2.jpg

It's a quick and dirty PS job, but I think it gets the idea across.

-BCK

WOW!! and MKA10 Storm Hog!! I love this so much mainly cause I lived near Davis-Mothan AFB and would see these beasts flying around town. Pure sweetness Rottimus. Like had been requested, please with the step by steps.

Wow, I love it... Not much else I can say, look forward to the follow on work.

Captain Antonius

Beautiful conversion dude! I've got a squadron of these (the a-10's) in my back yard here at Gowen Field Boise Idaho. Can't wait to see it painted.

Funny thing Captain, thats my backyard as well lol!!

I agree that this is a wonderful conversion, and I really like where you decided to mount the cyclone missile launcers.

My one comment is that the "spine" of the A10 is very flat and featureless. would it be possible to break this up with the addition of some sensors, ariels, raised spine areas, etc...?

Man, those first two photos look awesome... Love that head on shot...

Then the model gets turned and you see it in profile. Doesn't look so good then. Not sure how to fix that unfortunately. It might have to do with the large areas that are textureless.

I do like the source of inspiration and short of modern attack helicopters, the A-10 is the only modern fixed wing aircraft that not only looks like it fits with the Space Marines, it's also the only one that, from real world application standpoint, is employed how the Space Marines are described to utilize air assets, in the nearly exclusive ground support role.

Awesome.

Epic.

The A-10 is one of my favourite aircraft, and you've done a great conversion there. Where is that cannon from, it looks bigger than a forgeword punisher cannon?

Keep the updates coming :(

It's the punisher from the leman russ kit... it's fatter and nastier looking.

But looks exactly like the GAU-Avenger cannon on the a 10.

more to come soon.

I building a teleportation array built from the center of a droppod - you know the radar looking sphere thingy.

It's going to be Necron tech for that extra heretical flavour!

Absolutly fantastic!

Love the A-10 and definetly want a step by step guide up here soon please!

I think all you'll need to break up the areas of blankness is one or two small antennas...you could even go as far as to putting the idea of a teleporter up there.

However you could also use this area and fill it with your chapter symbol.

Keep it up

Khaki

First off great idea,I did similar with a Valkryie a while back.

The wing pods must go if you want it to look like an A-10,it needs bomb racks.

I used the heavy bomb set from FW and a rack of Hellfires from a real a-10 kit 1/48.

The a10 missles had great clear plastic optics for the hellfires,I say use those first and the FW bomb rack second.

Ideally both as the A-10 is Full of dakka.

Here is a link to my a-10 valk

http://heresy-legions.blogspot.com/2012/04...g-valkryie.html

frickin love this!!

I have hated the Stormtalon (I know this is bigger and actually loving your idea to use as a Storm Raven) but this is the perfect talon for me! This is what it should look like!

Just spent a happy half hour figuring out where you cut the talon apart and how the tail booms were made up and if you fancy taking a cheeky shot from the rear 3/4 angle from a little underneath to show the shape of the plasticard that would be awesome. And yes I'll be honest, I would shamelessly copy this, with your permission of course!

And yes some areas may benefit from a little antennae here or skull there but that is really semantics,

Great work brother! :P

Archived