Dress wearers challenge

truesonofruss

I have completed my second Vow and here is the proof

gallery_65719_7331_1446174.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_117548.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_5372946.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_3446769.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_4223226.jpg

I know its not the best painting job or modeling in the world but I enjoy the playing more than the modeling and painting so I am just starting to learn more about how to do OK Work.

they look good trues! don't worry! my suggestions would be to give them a wash with badab black, this will fill the recessed areas and give a better look to those flexible areas as well as create some more depth into the models :tu: and it's not hard at all since applying such a wash doesn't require any painting skills (well you do need to know which is the business end of a paintbrush..)

what kind of a basing theme will you apply?

paint boltgun or leadbelcher on to the flex part of the armour joints, back of the legs and hips, even the elbow then wash it with nulins oil or what ever they call badab black these days

apart from that looking good, keep it

and welcome to the brother hood, have a horn of ale on me

paint boltgun or leadbelcher on to the flex part of the armour joints, back of the legs and hips, even the elbow then wash it with nulins oil or what ever they call badab black these days

apart from that looking good, keep it

and welcome to the brother hood, have a horn of ale on me

Straight black works too.

I use a lot of Nuln oil for somethings like when I make wolf pelts, the only problem I have with it is it darkens my colors way to much and gives them a nasty dark color. I don't think I am applying my washes correctly or something because it looks like a cartoon was trapped in an explosion. Thank you all for the advice if anyone can help me with the wash issues then I think I can improve a great deal. I will try out some of the other washes and maybe due the lead belcher to the flex points with some wash on those. I will be adding up one of my newly painted lone wolves shortly has some of my wash effects on it but only for the runes on the SS and CF.

gallery_65719_7331_55854.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_875564.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_2453460.jpg

gallery_65719_7331_2618312.jpg

So I use the Nuln oil to darken colors(obviously) such as the cloak... But it always gets that nasty look and I have yet to figure out how to make that stop. I have tried mixing it with some water, Brushing it out further and further, I have tried to keep the model flat or get less on my brush but that is always how it comes out SOOOOOOO... for the most part I stopped using the washes because it makes it look dirty and like crap. Any suggestions. Also He is a WIP that giant blob of blue was meant to be his eye and now it looks more like an Ice Troll bled onto his face.

Oh and Hendrik I haven't done a single model in my army yet(and it is a decent sized army in my mind). I have been stuck on the how and what of it as I am an amateur in the modeling portions of this game. I would love to give it The old Snowy base with some dead grass like I see on some of the best SW models but I have no freaking clue how to do it though. I need to look it up.

To avoid the dirty look over the surfaces of the mini you can paint the wash directly into the recesses. Essentially you just paint the shading as if you were painting with any other type of paint and the washes will pool into those recesses nicely to create the shading for you.

What exactly did you have in mind for the snowy bases? A flat layer of snow with the dead grass showing through or a more heaped up snow drift sort of look? Depending on how you want it to look there's different methods.

To avoid the dirty look over the surfaces of the mini you can paint the wash directly into the recesses. Essentially you just paint the shading as if you were painting with any other type of paint and the washes will pool into those recesses nicely to create the shading for you.

What exactly did you have in mind for the snowy bases? A flat layer of snow with the dead grass showing through or a more heaped up snow drift sort of look? Depending on how you want it to look there's different methods.

I will try painting it directly on to the locations. Is there anyway to fix the look of the cape I have there any way to make that just darken out or am I just using the wash wrong in that concept. thanks for the advice too.

As for the bases I was thinking a little of both so it doesn't all look the same.

Is it the red of the cape? What I'd try is going over the red again to give it a clean look once more and try painting blue wash into the depths of the folds. Blue shades red really well. You can use paints to do it but I generally shade red with Asurmen Blue (not sure what the new name is now). The washes just painted over a model are great for giving it a dirty look and on rough surfaces like furs etc they're really quick for shading but I find for other shading you generally just have to use them as a watery paint.

Well the snow on my bases I normally do by mixing Wood Glue (PVA is fine), water, Bicarbonate of Soda and a bit of white paint in a pot to get a paste. I then apply this in the areas I want the snow on the bases and you get a nice snow drift sort of look. Once it's applied I normally then sprinkle some GW Snow onto the mixture so that it sticks once it's dried and it gets a fresh snowfall look. For the flatter areas you can probably just apply the GW snow without having to build it up with anything first.

Hope that's of some help! :cuss

hmmm makes sense that blue would shade with the red so much better. Im thinking of leaving this one as it since he is a LW and is constantly on the run looking for some way to die a glorious death anyway. As soon as I can get materials from games workshop(it takes em a little while to get here in Hawaii) I am going to try that Snow mixture of yours and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help I'm hoping that I can get a good habit down with some of these tips and take my painting and modeling to the next level. Here's an ale brother, on me.

Always a top tip: Water your paint down a bit, and apply 2/3 thin coats instead of one thick one. Gets rid of all streaks and brush marks. Looks much nicer.

So far off to a good start! Welcome to the Forums!

Always a top tip: Water your paint down a bit, and apply 2/3 thin coats instead of one thick one. Gets rid of all streaks and brush marks. Looks much nicer.

So far off to a good start! Welcome to the Forums!

Do you use any specific amount of water to paint or is it just something you do by eye until you get the amount right?

Archived