Raptors chapter Rhino APC

This is a Rhino I painted in Raptors colors and this happy fella will be entered in a local painting contest on August 18th. Being new to the hobby (since February of this year), it is a couple of first for me; first contest, first completed vehicle, first post her on B&C! Feel free add comments and criticism!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2z4OiAhsJVo/UBxz9DJBBuI/AAAAAAAAAFI/I_S3eyQU5WQ/s1600/DSC_1035.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gMDGq4gAshw/UBxz2BPfWMI/AAAAAAAAAFA/vicWAJKmTG8/s1600/DSC_1040.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ouk14D2M760/UBx0mYqjbhI/AAAAAAAAAFU/LH-uBvRd09Q/s1600/DSC_1037.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1lsR8inYGnM/UBx0zYsHAWI/AAAAAAAAAFc/sCkQlQz97jc/s1600/DSC_1034.JPG

Wow, that's your first completed vehicle, and you've only been in the hobby since February? You sir, disgust me with your great painting skills :o Seriously, that's a great job there. My only beef is that from the ground up, its dirty, then all of a sudden clean. But that's just me, I believe in battle-worn vehicles... other than that its a great paint job. Good luck on the contest.

EDIT: just took a closer look at the pics. I see more wear and tear that I didn't notice before. I'll just stick my foot in my mouth now and shut up...

Welcome to the board. -_-

I second everything HellHunter said. I feel there could be some more weathering on the upper-half of the vehicle as well, but that dirt looks damn good. What'd you use to create it? Are you creating a Raptors force or was this a one off thing?

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I felt the same way about the battle damage, but I was afraid to over do it. I added paint chipping along all the top hatches and sides if the engines. I have though about adding more and I might very well do so... we'll see.

As for the mud, I use Vallejo Sandy Paste and stippled it along the bottom. After it dried, I mixed a few pigments (natural umber, dark yellow ochre, and burnt sienna I think) with water and gave it two coats of that. I added pure pigments above the mud to simulate dust. After I dullcoated it (should have done before all this), it killed most of the pigments and I had to do it again. Growing pains I suppose...

I do plan on making a Raptors force. I have a MASSIVE amout of unpainted/unbuilt models. I have some Raptors scout painted and an almost complete assault squad. The problem with the scouts is that I changed from a more lush green I painted them with to the more drab and muted colors I used for the Rhino. Rest assured that I will post some troops when I get some I am happy with color-wise.

Ah yes, good catch... damn, I never noticed that! The eagle on the rear hatch is in the "correct" position, looking to the left. I used the Forge World Raptors transfer sheet and it has icons looking both ways, I must have cut the wrong one out in my haste to complete the model. Now I have to talk myself out of try to fix it...

Primed in Vallejo Surface Primer Grey, base coat of Reaper Master Series Olive Drab, shadows done with RMS Olive Shadow, and highlights done with RMS Worn Olive. It was my first go with the Reaper paints and I was reasonably impressed. The thing I really appreciate about them is the triad system. It makes choosing a shadow, mid-tone, and highlight much easier, especially for a novice like myself.

This is a great piece, congrats on a fantastic first tank! You should be more then happy with the results you achieved here.

My only suggestion:

Don't try and fix the transfer that is facing the wrong way. You have have finished a great piece and you will be more upset with yourself if you try and fix it and mess it up, then you will be if you leave it be and move on to the next project. Trust me.

Archived