Great Crusade Thousand Sons

Kierdale

I haven't started a HoH thread for my army until now as I rarely feel anything is finished. There's always something I could come back and redo or do better. But with that way of thinking nothing ever gets done. So, I present the units from my army which are complete for the moment.

Scout Squad Kemnebi

gallery_63428_6618_64435.jpg

Their current (6th Ed.) incarnation, with bolt guns. Kemnebi himself has a combi-melta and meltabombs. The squad rides around in landspeeder storm Uraeus.

Their former (5th Ed.) incarnation: bolt pistols and combat blades.

gallery_63428_6618_79167.jpg

Scout Squad Wepwawet

gallery_63428_6618_48752.jpg

Bolt guns across the squad, heavy bolter for support. Wepwawet himself has a combi-flamer for flushing out the enemy from cover or countering charges. Will be gaining a sniper scout in the future for flavour.

Devastator Squad Resheph

gallery_63428_6618_17950.jpg

A simple, reliable 4 missile launchers-build. Hope to expand the squad to 10 marines in the future.

Sternguard Veteran Squad Menthu

gallery_63428_6618_115253.jpg

Combi-meltas across the squad. Hope to expand the squad to 10, adding combi-flamers and a drop pod in the future.

Won Bronze (40k Squad) at Japan's first Golden Demon awards on August 8th 2012.

Chaplain Corvidae Adept Exemptus Khaldun

gallery_63428_6618_68359.jpggallery_63428_6618_73186.jpg

Crozius replaced with an Egyptian flail (nekhakha). He and the following Vanguard veteran squad generally only get used in Apoc games due to cost. Very fun to use though.

Vanguard Veteran Squad Minkabh

gallery_63428_6618_228552.jpg

Nine members in total. My favourites are shown. All have custom Horus-pattern jump packs (not actually designed as LOS-blockers!), storm shields. Sergeant Minkabh has a relic blade, one veteran has a thunder hammer, all others have power weapons. Built for looks and fun.

To add in the future:

Landspeeder storm Uraeus

Tactical squad Nehebkau

Command squad Hathor

Librarian Har-Khebu

Captain Ramtut

Master of the Forge Shezmu

I think our models look great. You've got a very nice Thousand Sons PH red going on, and the gold on the shoulder pads looks nice as well. I like the posing and especially the weapons.

The lone bolter guy in the devastator squad, though, seems to be posed awkwardly. The other 5 models are very static, as befits devastators, but he looks like he's charging gung-ho into the enemy lines. Perhaps you can swap him out with a guy fom your tac squad?

Also, I love the idea of your jump packs, but I think they need some more stuff on them. Worky bits and gubbinz, like gears, rivents, panels, something to break up the flatness of the shape.

Regardless, great work, looking forward to seeing more.

-CH

Thank you very much, Captain, your comments are appreciated.

I hope that expanding the Devastator squad to ten men will help the running guy blend in a bit more (mk.II armour only having two leg poses, I'll convert the next four marines more). That or I add a load of missiles to his thighs and backpack and make him the ammo-gopher ;)

Yes, the vanguard do need more work on their jump packs. They do have some cabling on the back, but I agree they do need more detail. Something for the future.

I love everything you've posted except the jump packs. Compared to the high painting standard of the rest of the army they just dont stand up. What I'd do, is take the jump packs from the Sanguinary guard, those single-jet packs, and either keep the wings that come with them, or try building new ones out of plasticard.

Thanks for the feedback, MeatGrinder. Yes, the Sang' guard jump pack (or perhaps the Raptor one?) would be a good base. I'd like to keep the wing shape, but remake them with plasticard and put more detail on, paneling, pipes, etc. I made them over the last winter holiday, perhaps this winter will be a good opportunity to remake them.

Currently working on my first dreadnought, Akhenaten the Gifted...

• 2 weeks later...

I just love the hieroglyphs and the other details to the Dread :lol: Also love the wall graffiti :P

I'll have to start learning to use GS for all the things I want to do, but I'm still having trouble getting the right "mix" between the blue and yellow parts ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Techmarine Septu and his thunderfire cannon are complete!

gallery_63428_6618_106135.jpg

gallery_63428_6618_46200.jpg

That second shot shows the golden cartouche on the cannon-housing's right side, containing the hieroglyphs for his name.

Right-side shot with controller-screen.

gallery_63428_6618_81374.jpg

Left-side shot with Athanaean cult icon.

gallery_63428_6618_13904.jpg

And some more shots of the cannon itself.

gallery_63428_6618_32779.jpg

gallery_63428_6618_115728.jpg

gallery_63428_6618_33936.jpg

With that last one I only realised that the inside of the barrels weren't black after uploading the photo. They're now black.

Next up (though not for a while) is probably a squad of five snipers for sergeant Telion Maahes to command.

Archived