DAD's Dark Angels

Hello there,

This thread is going to be about my dabblings in the Dark Angels. here are some of my objectives;

1. To have at least 5-10 marines painted per month.

2. To eventually have the entire 5th, 1st and 2nd companies (maybe a bit less with the 1st and second... maybe B) ).

3. To try and experiment with painting techniques.

4. To try my hand at conversions.

So to start with i bought the Dark Vengeance limited box set and traded the chaos for more DA (sort of miss those chaos models now... :D ).

gallery_67223_7661_956789.jpg

gallery_67223_7661_2136329.jpg

gallery_67223_7661_1009676.jpg

You might be wondering why Balthasar is undercoated white? Well i did it because he's mainly garbed up in his fine dining dress, so it's easier to paint from white.

recently i managed to finish 5 tactical marines

gallery_67223_7687_681705.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_844446.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1577136.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1468693.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1476009.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_443246.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_542527.jpg

For my first start i'm quite chuffed with them, it's been years since i painted power armour!

next up will be my reward for doing 5 tacticals, the librarian.

DAD out.

Haven't posted in a long while, but the new DV boxset has piqued my interest in the hobby once more.

Just wanted to say that these Dark Angels so far look really good. Well done.

I paint mine in a similar fashion, but find a coat of black and green wash mixed together help tone down the highlights and blend the two colours together nicely.

Love the Sergeants Skin tone, very well done.

Im in a similar situation, DV has spurred me to galvanise my Power Armour Efforts into one force, rather than the smatterings of Crimson Fists, Imperial Fists and Red Scorpions that i have all over my painting table.

These are an inspiration.

May I suggest thinning your paint down slightly it will help with the highlighting and blending of the colours. Looking good so far got my own Dark Vengence set to work on soon although I'm going the Chaos route!

Hey people, thanks for the replies!

Nice work, especially the face on the Tac Sarge; the skin looks nicely blended and natural :huh:

Thanks Razblood! it took me a while to do the face, a lot more different shades for the skin to look good. i went with just the standard three, but found myself going on till it looked right.

Hi DAD! B)

Really nice, you really have skill and I look forward to seeing more :)

Thanks Dark Apostle!

Well done!

Great job on the armour and of course the Sergeants face.

Thanks Mr.Malevolent, it's been a while since i painted power armour. but i'm loving it so far!

Brilliant so far, you've captured them nicely

Cheers Shaun carlin!

Haven't posted in a long while, but the new DV boxset has piqued my interest in the hobby once more.

Just wanted to say that these Dark Angels so far look really good. Well done.

I paint mine in a similar fashion, but find a coat of black and green wash mixed together help tone down the highlights and blend the two colours together nicely.

Same, the DV set just made me think of an old edition of white dwarf that had the dark angels dreadnought on it (wish i still had it!!). My first ever marines were the Dark Angels so it only felt right to come back.

Love the Sergeants Skin tone, very well done.

Im in a similar situation, DV has spurred me to galvanise my Power Armour Efforts into one force, rather than the smatterings of Crimson Fists, Imperial Fists and Red Scorpions that i have all over my painting table.

These are an inspiration.

Wow thanks for the complement! happy to inspire like minded people!

May I suggest thinning your paint down slightly it will help with the highlighting and blending of the colours. Looking good so far got my own Dark Vengence set to work on soon although I'm going the Chaos route!

Gk_fury - i know what you mean, at first i wasn't happy with how they looked. the sharp edge highlighting wasn't my thing but i've come to love it. i galazed them like 3 times with waywatcher green but it hardly toned them down lol!

i will put up some WIP pics of the librarian tomorrow

DAD out

Yo peeps, howz it hangin?

..... errrm yeah, well i promised a WIP shot of the libby. i finished the inner cloak, i'm quite happy for my first try, although you can't see it it's a tad grainy. but ok for a first try nonetheless!

also, i'll get more pics up, just need more batteries as they ran out and my camera just kept moaning at me by beeping so i could only take one..

gallery_67223_7687_1182960.jpg

i've tried thinning my paints down a bit and it's worked a treat, so thanks for that GK fury, even though it takes longer it yields a better result.

Yo peeps, howz it hangin?

i've tried thinning my paints down a bit and it's worked a treat, so thanks for that GK fury, even though it takes longer it yields a better result.

1. Long.

2. No probs your highlights were theoretically very good and in the right places just a little strong for my tastes, in the end what you like counts but glad I could help some way. I'm still on my own journey of learning to paint and theres a lot of things I need to work on to get better, but the best thing I ever learnt was correct consistency for paints, helps no end to get a better finish no matter what you're painting.

It's been a while B&C......

So, Turmiel is done. well... basically. i'm a bit stumped for choice on how to do the force weapon, so i thought i'd ask the lovely folk of B&C on thier opinions on the matter.

here's some pic of him at the mo.

gallery_67223_7687_241525.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1213665.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_536036.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1420076.jpg

i tried a bit of freehand on the book.... meh, it just came out ok lol but it was good to try something new

as well as bumping this thread, i'll also show you guys what i'm thinking for the power/ force weapon on the libby

i found this online and it's conveniently from B&C. i thought as the libby is blue and going on what the colour wheel says, this should look appropriate..

gallery_42800_6895_1816447.jpg

if i go down that route though, what do people think about red power weapons on DA?? i was thinking, if i could pull it off, trying out how the swords are originally painted on the box. but, red and white instead of blue and white??

That looks awesome, how, pray tell, do you get that effect?

UptheIron - i wish i did that mate. someone else on here did it, with an airbrush of course. (well i think so.. lol) I, on the other hand don't have an airbrush, so i'll be trying to achieve this effect the good old fashioned way - with a paintbrush and some liquitex :o

Very Very nice Dark Angels DAD. Are these Pre Heresy? ;)

To be honest mate, i'm not sure. i'm getting pretty senile these days! lol ;)

I'm a fan of your work too Yak, love raptor school. maybe i should paint some flowers on my 'dresses' lol

Hello all

So i managed to buy some orange.... and get roped into buying Malediction. It's not my fault ok? i couldn't resist.... :D

Anyways i thought i've let this thread dry up a bit of late so here's my progress on the libby sword

gallery_67223_7687_1208781.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1159136.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1259522.jpg

it still needs to be highlighted and i might try some osl too. i just don't know what it is but, it feels like it's missing something. or am i just being too poncey?? lol

cheers

DAD

Another small update;

Second squad of five should be done by tomorrow.

But for now...

Orangey force sword blade finished. I'm sort of ok with this. i think it's taught me that wet blending with 2 colours = average. More effort with the colour transition will yield a better finish. I'm gonna leave this sword arm semi attached, because i have other ideas on how to do orange force weapons and i want all of my stuff to look uniform.

gallery_67223_7687_898235.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_1073068.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_495991.jpg

gallery_67223_7687_931231.jpg

more pics tomorrah!

DAD

Archived