***Progress Report***
September:
October:
November:
December:
January:
February:
5 Deathwing Terminators with Assault Cannon and Chainfist [250/245pts]- Done
10 man Tactical squad with Power Sword, Flamer, and Missile Launcher [195/185pts]- Done
Techmarine with servo harnes and 2x servitors [150/95pts] - Done
Predator Destructor (autocannon turret, heavy bolter sponsons) [95/95pts] - Done
DV Ravenwing Bikers [135/105pts] - Done
Finish my oldest dreadnought [135/120pts] - Done

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a habitual failure when it comes to painting challenges (i.e i've never completed one. Ever.), so i'm going for the Path to Redemption with all the fervour required to make up on much lost ground.

For September i've vowed to complete my AoBR terminators. They have received some light conversion work to include an assault cannon and chain fist. Now, i've had these since the 5th ed box was release and only ever got round to painting them bone. So i sat down the other day to continue painting and forgot to take a before shot. I dropped the brushes and lined them up for a quick snap:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/bonsai-al/IMG_7025.jpg
They started like this but were bone all over, i just got a bit carried away. The one on the right was finished a while ago as a test model; my paint scheme has changed slightly since then.

I've also got the rest of AoBR and DV to paint up, plus misc other units (dreads, scouts, devs etc) so i've got plenty to keep me going throughout this six month painting campaign.

Wish me luck folks, the Path to Redemption may well be my last chance to achieve forgiveness msn-wink.gif
Al

Well even if you haven't completed much before, those termies look really nice! Only painting black models so far, I dread starting to paint the DV DA models with lighter colors... if I succeed even half as well as you have here, I'll be happy :wub: With that said, good luck with your vow!

Well even if you haven't completed much before, those termies look really nice! Only painting black models so far, I dread starting to paint the DV DA models with lighter colors... if I succeed even half as well as you have here, I'll be happy :lol: With that said, good luck with your vow!

I've actually got roughly 3k points completed. I just always found it easier to finish models in my own time and as the mood took me. Trying to keep up with a painting challenge has always been my downfall, but not this time! And don't despair, i'm sure you'll succeed in your endeavours too! My deathwing are painted over a black primer but i give them a coat of Bestail Brown as the first colour. I like how well it covers the black and leaves a good foundation to build the bone colour. No idea what the new paints are like though, i'm sure there is a better way to paint bone ;)

Well, good luck! You paint to a very high standard Alys, I really look fwd to see your finished stuff - and complete a Challenge, finally! :yes:

Thank you; I'll try to take a spoon full of your enthusiastic motivation each morning and keep up with the challenge! Fingers crossed i'll get all 6 months of PtR under my belt.

They look great so far Brother Alys, keep up the good work.

Thank you, i shall try my best!

Quick wordy update - only weapon casings, eyes, and badges left to paint. i'll try and get a new pic up tomorrow and move on to complete this leg of the challenge by the end of the week (fingers crossed).

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Bryan, i'll keep Mournfang in mind when my dwindling supply of Bestial runs out.

And Brother-Sergeant Bohemond, as you were sure, i have indeed pushed through and got them finished.

It's taken a little longer than planned to get some pictures up, but here is my finished vow for September!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/bonsai-al/IMG_7094.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/bonsai-al/IMG_7095.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/bonsai-al/IMG_7097.jpg

It feels good to finally finish a vow after so many years of failing. Now i'll have to have a think and decide what to do nest month.

Al

Congratulations Alys, these look fantastic! I especially like the deep red of the bolter casings and the individualized shoulder shields! I think you've broken the bad spell of non-completions! Now enemies of the lion tremble! :lol:

Hi all,

Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot and should keep me on the painting wagon :huh:

To business though - it's time to decide what i'm vowing for October. I'm torn between several things. Thing is, i've got all these cool DV models to start painting but i'd feel a bit guilty cracking on with them when i have so many half finished projects lying around. Surely it's the spirit of Redemption for me to get my current models up to scratch before i start adding new projects to my army? Hmm... in that case i think i'll have to go with the following:

For October, i shall vow to complete the AoBR tactical squad (195pts?).

So that's 10 men with a flamer and missile launcher, and the converted sarge who's got a power sword. At current they're up to the point of being DA green with little else done. I'll post a beginning shot later. The good thing is they shouldn't take too long to get done so i may be in a position to expand my October vow in a week or so. We'll see :lol:

Al

Deathwing squad awesome -- liking the white[r] approach. Also cool use of personal heraldry. Grey/black bases an excellent contrast to set the models off.

Many thanks again for the encouraging words. I like my marines to look gritty and grim-dark so i try to paint them that way. It does mean they won't be winning any trophies but they looks really rather good en-mass on the tabletop.

Anyways, on with October! I dug these guys out of storage and took a photo to share as my begining point:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/bonsai-al/IMG_7119.jpg

If i'm honest i'd forgotten how far along the painting was on them. Still plenty of work to do though to get them up to a finished standard. And seeing as there is less to do on them than i planned i may get finished early and be able to expand my October vow - if we're lucky!

Al

Good to see that you have continued along your Path. I did the same little conversion with the right arm concerning your Sergeant; I used a plasma pistol instead of a power sword. Also, the Corvus helmet is a nice touch, I might have to steal that idea. :P

Good to see that you have continued along your Path. I did the same little conversion with the right arm concerning your Sergeant; I used a plasma pistol instead of a power sword. Also, the Corvus helmet is a nice touch, I might have to steal that idea. :P

It really was very easy to swap out that arm :( The head was more work but was a must - the bald head on the model was silly and the whole "pointing to the left, looking forward" things was just silly IMO. The corvus helmet fits the model very nicely though. It's quite a simple sarge but he's one of my favourites.

Excellent marines there... Nice to see you're sticking to your production schedule! Nice green shade too - you sure paint to a high standard Alys! ;)

Thanks. I wouldn't say it's a high standard, but it certainly comes out looking good enough for gaming :)

Man, your start point for the tacticals is the one I'd hope to achieve in a year if I paint almost daily... Those terminators came simply awesome!

That's the joy of the Path to Redemption! It's an excuse to finish all those painting projects i've failed in the past, and i can get on with actually getting my army painted. I've got roughly 3k pts of DA and i don't think a single unit is fully painted. Whilst this is the 'start point' for now, it has taken a couple of years to get them even this far! I'm a terrible procrastinator and my motivation seems to come in fits and starts.

With all that said, i'm not sure if ill be able to pick up a brush for the next week or so :( Starting a new job on monday and need to finish my MSc thesis over the next 7 days. This could be a fun week!

Al

Nice work on those Terminators! The Tactical Squad looks great already.

As someone who never completed a challenge until PtR, I say welcome to the club! It's quite the rush (to me anyway) This is why I find this group the best online.

Keep up the excellent work!

Archived