Wraithwing's (new) Dark Angels

Wraithwing

So, after a very long hiatus, that pesky Dark Vengeance box set has got me back into modelling and painting my favourite Space Marines, the Dark Angels.

To start with, I thought I'd share my newly converted Company Master, yet to be named:

gallery_5348_1577_20029.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_41989.jpg

Only a simple head and weapon swap, as well as filing away the skull on the shoulder pad.

I'm toying with the idea of giving him a back banner, but I think he looks quite cool without.

What do you think?

Cheers,

WW

(cross-posted from the WIP forums.)

Thanks for the feedback so far folks, really happy with the results of this simple conversion.

As I have a real fondness for the old 2nd Edition look of Dark Angels, I tend to favour back banners on all my characters and squad leaders. As such, I've blu-taced a banner onto the back of this guy to see how it looks:

gallery_5348_1577_4088.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_133243.jpg

(Apologies for the photo quality, poor lighting here.)

What do you think?

I'd probably add a more impressive banner top from the DA Vets sprue if I went with this option.

Cheers,

WW

I'm a veteran of 2nd ed too so I say yes to the banner. :yes:

They were my first army some 16 odd years ago, and the Angels of Death Codex is still one of my favourites!

So conflicted, as he does look good without...

With the banner and I agree with you on the changing of the banner topper. Really liking the look of this character, but I'd prefer a different (more ornate) backpack - but that one is attached to the cape IIRC. Maybe toss on some purity seals and/or free-hand, plus an Iron Halo?

Regardless, it looks very nice, really liking the figure!

Ok, time for one last update before bed. I think I've made some decent headway tonight, only the metal areas, the plasma gun, sword blade detail and a few bits and bobs left to do. Here's what I have so far:

gallery_5348_1577_76390.jpg

And a blurry one of the helm:

gallery_5348_1577_10327.jpg

I really dislike doing wings (bad for a DA player!), so this is the best I'm going to do I think. Might get my little brother to have a pass at it (who easily paints to heavy metal standards).

what sprue is the head your using from?

It's the head from the Company Master in the Dark Vengeance box set.

Cheers,

WW

A bit more done tonight. Broke out my ancient pot of Chestnut Ink and applied it to the red. I think it makes it pop a little more. I'm not much cop at painting reds to be honest:

gallery_5348_1577_1067.jpg

And as requested, a shot of the back. I need to tidy up the chapter symbol, as for a raised symbol, it proved tricky to paint. May have got carried away with the primer:

gallery_5348_1577_110808.jpg

Can anyone suggest any nice techniques for painting the power sword like a Heavenfall Blade? Similar to Azrael's? I could just highlight the edges, but does anyone have any better suggestions on how to achieve this look?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

WW

Wow, really awesome. Almost makes me wanna do the same for my Interrogator Chaplain model, if I wasnt already in love with it as is.

Really love the green armour, it looks great. Did you use the new Citadel line colours for it? (Im assuming its the standard DA green base)

No, I can't bring myself to use the new paints, if I'm honest. Recipe is:

Dark Angels Green basecoat

Wash of Badab Black

Snot Green highlight

Wash of Thrakka Green

Scorpion Green extreme highlight

Lots more washes of Thrakka Green to tone it all down.

When I get round to painting the DV Tactical Marines, I'll use the new paints on one of them and see how it turns out.

It'll be a sad day when my old pots of Dark Angels Green dry out :)

It'll be a sad day when my old pots of Dark Angels Green dry out ;)

Check out Army Painter's Angel Green in their new Warpaints line. While I dont have any of the old Dark Angels green, it looks very much like it in all the pictures I see of Dark Angels. Maybe not quite as glossy. IT's at least something to look at as a replacement.

I'm using their Angel Green primer as a basecoat and the Angel Green warpaints matches perfectly as advertised.

Archived