Furioso and Furioso-Librarian in the new Edition

Lanfear

Hello,

i wanted to ask how good or bad you judge our beloved Dreadnoughts with the new edition.

With AV13 we have a good matchup vs. most infantry, as we are immune to the grenades. Its no longer a good idea to attack terminator armor with the blood talons, but thats ok.

how do you think about the Furioso Librarian?

his force weapon should get the axe rules with str+1/AP2, striking at initiative, which brings me to another point. In 5th edition, i was attacking with the dread, and if he wounded, i activated the force weapon for instant death. maybe i did it wrong back then, but now it looks like i have to choose which weapon to use. Fist for Str10/AP2, or Force Axe for Str.7/AP2 with ability to activate with a warp charge?

well, what are your thoughts on our Dreadnoughts? Bring them, leave them, do you have maybe tried a walker-heavy loadout in one of your games?

I really don't know if the FW on the Lib-Dread is an Axe however. Personally I find the cheapest versions of our dreads do their job well enough and it's less of an problem if you lose one due to early shooting.

Our Dreads are still very viable, excelling mostly in breaking the line up of your opponent's army. Walking along is also an option in a Mech army though.

I mostly field 1 with Blood Talons, drop it and see what happens. Opponents can't ignore it and if it get's into CC that's one non-terminator squad gone.

Cheers,

Assuming you are using the recent furioso model that came out, the weapon is best considered an axe by rules (Its a halberdish weapon which rules say is an axe if you aren't Grey Knights). Mine has a sword, but mine was homemmade.

In 5th you still had to decide to use the fist or the force weapon. Almost always I chose the fist.

I find that dropping dreads this edition is risky. Very risky. Odds are not in your favour for first blood with that, and if you fail (if enemy knows how to deploy) you will lose that point in those scenarios.

I've run a list with 5 dreads for 8 (I think..) games now and only lost once. That was against a tailored necron list with 7 voltaic staves, 2 doomsday arks and 6 heavy destroyers as well as the usual necron scythes and gauss. Frag cannons rule in this edition, so does talons if you keep them away from terminators :)

I'm working on a 3 frag list that drops three turn one with 3 devastators back field to back em up. three frags , a melta and a grapple also put paid to most 2+ units as well, it's quite unpleasant:)

I use 2 frag cannon + melta and 1 frag cannon + heavy flamer.

Having to pay 10 pts to lose the melta sucks, but the flamer dread always racks up more kills.

Overall I think it's better to focus on the FC dreads as infantry killers and leave the anti tank work to other units. You still have the grapple and bloodfist for dealing with AV, so it's not like you are completely lost without it.

I use a list with 10 dreads. 2 frag with heavyflamer in Pod, 1 librarian wings/might, 1 furioso stormbolter, melter in pod,

3 DC dreads with Heavyflamer melter in pod, 2 Range dreads with lasc and rockets and last but not least 1 range dread with autocannon and plasmacannon.

Since 6. Edition I played only against a Space Wolve with tailored lists (7 times now)

and I still end up winning most of them. (5) The two Frag dreads are the greatest killingmaschines on the field.^^

The Librarian is my mobile jump reserve against everything what threatens my 3 range bots.

The normal furioso is my tank hunter with str 10 and ap 2. The 3 DCs with Talons are killing infantry and Transports.

The only thing I have to reconsider is the plasma Dread. In the last Game he lost 2 hp to overheating... FU.

edit: first post^^

Why would the Furioso liby strike at his initiative and not I1 with a forceaxe? :geek:

Ive used a Furioso with talons to some great effect ;) Theyre still very nice against anything not a terminator :lol: ran one up against a big unit of ork boyz and necrons and see the sparks...er...body parts fly :)

Why would the Furioso liby strike at his initiative and not I1 with a forceaxe? :D

Walkers and monstrous creatures ignore the 'unwieldy' USR. Probably why they removed the DCCW in new chaos codex and just listed it as a powerfist.

Wow, GW actually simplifying things, imagine that! :P

I've only used the Furioso with blood talons before, so not too much experience. I can tell you though, once you get him into combat he's a beast. Took out a whole squad of ork boyz single handed, and was able to jump in and help finish up a group or nob bikers. The only trick is to protect your dread to get him into combat, but that's been an issue before sixth edition was out.

@ ohrtanc & knife&fork: hey fellas any chance you could post your dread heavy lists?

I have thread up about the list and its' performance in the army list forum;

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=259318

The list I have played the most games with looks like this;

HQ - 135

Librarian , force axe, Bike

Elites - 538

Frag Cannon Furioso, H Flamer, Grapple, Search Light, Pod

Frag Cannon Furioso, Melta, Grapple, Searchlight, Pod

Frag Cannon Furioso, Melta, Grapple, Searchlight, Pod

Troops - 825

10 Sniper scouts, Missile Launcher, Camocloaks

10 Deathcompany, Bolters, Powerfist, Infernus pistol, Pod

DC Talon Dreadnought, Grapple, Flamer, Pod

DC Talon Dreadnought, Grapple, Flamer, Pod

Fast Attack - 140

Attack Bike squadron , 2 Multimelta, 1 Heavy bolter

Heavy Support - 360

Predator AC- LAS

Predator AC- LAS

Whirlwind

I've only used the Furioso with blood talons before, so not too much experience. I can tell you though, once you get him into combat he's a beast. Took out a whole squad of ork boyz single handed, and was able to jump in and help finish up a group or nob bikers. The only trick is to protect your dread to get him into combat, but that's been an issue before sixth edition was out.

They are equally deadly against chaos marines, normal marines and well.... Anything without a 2+ save or good invul save tbh ;)

Mine loved scything through Necron warriors as well, almost single handedly killed a unit of 20 warriors. My VV's dident even get to swing :D Then he was charged by a Necron lord with Warscythe (old list) who whiffed his attacks, he had some buddies with warscythes as well and proceeded to kill all the lords bodyguards and put 1 or 2 wounds on the lord only getting stunned in the progress :lol:

That WS6 is killer against a lot of things tbh. Hitting most troops on a 3+ and wounding them on 2's (with reroll) is deadly! Now with precience you can allow him to reroll hits to! SICK!!!!

@Arryn here is my list. 3000 Points Blood Angels.

1 HQ: 145 Points 4.8%

4 Elite: 730 Points 24.3%

5 Standard: 1480 Points 49.3%

0 Fast

4 Support: 645 Points 21.5%

*************** 1 HQ ***************

Reclusiarch

- Plasma-Pistol

- - - > 145 Points

- - - > in Landraider with Deathcompany

*************** 4 Elite ***************

Furioso-Librarian

- Might of Heroes

- Wings of Sanguinius

- - - > 175 Points

Furioso-Dreadnought

- Bloodfist & Frag-Cannon

- Heavy Flamer

- Extra Armor

+ - Drop Pod

- - - > 185 Points

Furioso-Dreadnought

- Bloodfist & Frag-Cannon

- Heavy Flamer

- Extra Armor

+ - Drop Pod

- - - > 185 Points

Furioso-Dreadnought

- Bloodfists

- Heavy Flamer & Melter

- Extra Armor

+ - Drop Pod

- - - > 185 Points

*************** 5 Standard ***************

Deathcompany

15 Death Company

- 8 x Chainsword

- 5 x Powerlance

- 2 x Powerhammer

+ - Land Raider Crusader

- Multimelter

- Extra Armor

- - - > 710 Points

Assault Squad

10 Space Marines

- 9 x Chainsword

- 7 x Boltpistol

- 2 x Melter

+ Upgrade for Sergeant

- 1 x Infernus-Pistol

- 1 x Power Fist

+ - Drop Pod

- Locator Beacon

- - - > 260 Points

Deathcompany-Dreadnought

- Bloodtalons

- Heavy Flamer & Melter

+ - Drop Pod

- - - > 170 Points

Deathcompany-Dreadnought

- Bloodtalons

- Heavy Flamer & Melter

+ - Drop Pod

- - - > 170 Points

Deathcompany-Dreadnought

- Bloodtalons

- Heavy Flamer & Melter

+ - Drop Pod

- - - > 170 Points

*************** 4 Support ***************

Dreadnought

- Rocketlauncher

- twinlinked Lasercannon

- - - > 140 Points

Dreadnought

- Rocketlauncher

- twinlinked Lasercannon

- - - > 140 Points

Dreadnought

- twinlinked Autocannon

- Plasmacannon

- - - > 120 Points

Stormraven-Dropship

- twinlinked Multimelter

- twinlinked Lasercannon

- Sponson-mounted Hurricane Bolters

- Extra Armor

- - - > 245 Points

Points Blood Angels : 3000

7 Drop Pods

10 Dreadnoughts

36 Infantry

1 Flyer

1 Heavy Tank

In 5th I used smaler lists (1000 - 2500) agains many races (no Eldar & Tau) without Deathcompany but with Tactical Squads or

some Vindicators and Libys but always with as much Dreadnoughts as possible due to the fact that I hadn't build them yet.

For the tactics.

4 Pods in First round. Most of the time the Assault Squad with melters to kill some Heavy Vehicle or monstrous creature. Both Frag Cannon Dreadnoughts against Infantry or packed Vehicles.

One time destroyed 2 Rhinos, wrecked 1 Razorback and immobilised a second Razorback with both of them in one shooting phase. And the last of the four is the Furioso or one of the DC Dreadnoughts. (against Vehicles the Furioso)

With 6th there is also a big plus for the Pods, models disembarke 6inch.

The Landraider with DC drives forward. If the enemy ignores this Tank then he is going to get eaten in second round from the 16 guys inside. `;..;´ If he is acting against it.. no problem.. less damage against my Dreadnoughts in his

deploymend zone. The ranged Dreads are shooting at everything they can and are protected from my Libriarian Dreadnought who is between the frontline and my deploymend zone acting as mobile reserve.

(At the beginng I played him aggressiv but without much success.)

Second round. The remaining Pods and the Stormraven. The Stormraven is new in this list and Im still using a proxy to test it on the field. 65€.... At the moment the only Anti Air Model for us.

Thats it. :)

P.S: Any idears about the Stormraven... what models could/should I take instead of it? Mephiston.. Scout Bikers... Tactical Squads.... Baal Predator... more Dreads^^?

Mine loved scything through Necron warriors as well, almost single handedly killed a unit of 20 warriors. My VV's dident even get to swing :sweat: Then he was charged by a Necron lord with Warscythe (old list) who whiffed his attacks, he had some buddies with warscythes as well and proceeded to kill all the lords bodyguards and put 1 or 2 wounds on the lord only getting stunned in the progress :lol:

That WS6 is killer against a lot of things tbh. Hitting most troops on a 3+ and wounding them on 2's (with reroll) is deadly! Now with precience you can allow him to reroll hits to! SICK!!!!

My friend plays Necrons, and after using my Deathwing against him I might have to try some Blood Angels shenanigans as well. I never realized how many units in his list have 3+ saves until last week when we played. My Furioso is eagerly awaiting the chance to rip his robots apart.

I hadn't thought of using prescience yet, but will try it when I get the chance. Guess I'll have to find a libby model for next time.

Ohrtanc, how well do podding Death Company Dreadnought's fare? I gather you pod them somewhere safe and place the Dreadnoughts in cover where possible?

I popped a Furioso once and scatter right in front of his army :woot:

I did flame has half army but my Furioso was still a burning wreck in his next turn (acctually he only managed to immob it and then ignored it... But you know.. *shrugs* )

That said they present a huge dillemma for alot of players. If they cant get him destoryed in their turn they are getting charged. If they can they got AT weapons not firing at other dangerous stuff you might have. It works good if you have a target rich enviroment I guess :o

Archived