Land Raider Ares Conversion

SickSix

So, I got a lot of feedback on my Big Momma Cannon that the cannon was just too big for the Rhino chassis. The_Chaplain mentioned he wondered what it would look like on a Land Raider as an Ares pattern Land Raider.

So I ordered a 3rd 'Big Momma Cannon' kit. And this kit came in a cream colored resin and is a better cast overall. Too bad I kind of hacked it up with my amateur sawing skills.

gallery_61777_7803_726103.jpg

Here you can see I cut down the main piece quite a bit to just these two pieces.

gallery_61777_7803_1144870.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_783326.jpg

So this is a ruff dry fit without the resin hatch part.

gallery_61777_7803_1692995.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1900125.jpg

This is with the resin hatch part.

Which do you think would look better? I am also frustrated that either way there is only one hatch on top. So I am thinking of getting more creative to try and keep two hatches.

From a "Rule of cool" stand point That thing is outrageously awesome!!!

From a more practical stand point, I'm afraid I think the canon is simply too large for anything smaller then a Baneblade chasis and even then as the main cannon. Seeing it on a Land Raider makes me wonder A) how the thing manages to fire with out throwing itself backwards in the process and :) how does it carry more then 2 or 3 shots in total.

I don't think they would need to worry much about firing more than two or three shots. All they would have to do is land one and any wall would fall to that machine.

On a modeling standpoint, that thing is AWESOME and I want one of those cannons for my up and coming Iron Warriors War band... A cannon like that would look mighty fine next to some iron siege masters. Where did you get it from? and about how much do they run?

Keep up the good work man!

-the lifeguard

Off to a neat start, tell me are you gonna mount the siege shield the big momma comes with in the nook the assault ramp usually occupies? Because if you are, I am dying to see pictures!

Okay, thoughts I had about this project, looking at it in more detail:

I dont think the big momma top hatch is gonna work- mainly because the resin is too thick, and youd have to make special plasticard armor to mount it on the top and potentially cut out place for it. At the same time, the top hatch on the land raider is clearly designed to mount a pintle weapon like a multimelta, and doesnt really give off a siege tank vibe.

If you were to maybe sand down that area, you could expand the vents, and maybe even put in some vindicator style cooling turbines on the top (similar to my crappy ms paint render here): http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/8062567499_3e7da02418_c.jpg

Second, I agree with someone's previous comment (I believe it was maverike_ prime), who said that the recoil from this monster would send it lurching back. I tend to agree, maybe you could build some kind of fold down recoil absorber on to the back similar to cannon/howitzer platforms fused with the placement clamps of industrial equipment?

Third, I think such a beast of a tank would need a bigger engine than the regular land raider, have you thought about bulking up the engine block on the back? I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the company that makes sci fi engine stacks, but if you were to combine them with a baneblade's shrine like back engine plate- you'd make for a holy buttkickin' engine block.

Lastly, how are you planning on making the heavy flamer sponsons? Have you thought about making some kind of improved armor paneling for the sides and front? I get the impression the ares is armored in a similar fashion to the achilles, as naturally these tanks would attract a lot of firepower from the enemy who would be rightly terrified of the firepower this behemoth can bring to bare!

Edit once again: Ah, found a picture of the engine bit I mentioned, and it provides a link to a store on the website. (Not sure if this violates anything, but I don't want to incur the wrath of mods accidentally, so not gonna give a direct store link.)

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95974&d=1283577691

More pics can be seen here: Neat engine block

Very nice conversion. To add what The_Chaplain said about recoil, you could model a large bulldozer blade on the rear. The one from the Vindicator should be convertable to fit and look like it belongs there.

What are you using to cut the resin? Olfa has a fine saw blade (Narrow Saw Art Blade, 3-pack (KB4-NS/3)) available that fits into the standard X-acto handle as well. It cuts a very smooth and fine line and works well in tight places.

Looking forward to seeing your work progress. :yes:

Off to a neat start, tell me are you gonna mount the siege shield the big momma comes with in the nook the assault ramp usually occupies? Because if you are, I am dying to see pictures!

I have to see if I can widen the siege shield and have it look 'production' quality. If not I may have to fabricate a totally new shield, which I would really rather not attempt.

Okay, thoughts I had about this project, looking at it in more detail:

I dont think the big momma top hatch is gonna work- mainly because the resin is too thick, and youd have to make special plasticard armor to mount it on the top and potentially cut out place for it. At the same time, the top hatch on the land raider is clearly designed to mount a pintle weapon like a multimelta, and doesnt really give off a siege tank vibe.

If you were to maybe sand down that area, you could expand the vents, and maybe even put in some vindicator style cooling turbines on the top (similar to my crappy ms paint render here): http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/8062567499_3e7da02418_c.jpg

I think you are right. And I have some ideas. I may cut up the turbines from the Big Momma back hatch and use those on top.

Second, I agree with someone's previous comment (I believe it was maverike_ prime), who said that the recoil from this monster would send it lurching back. I tend to agree, maybe you could build some kind of fold down recoil absorber on to the back similar to cannon/howitzer platforms fused with the placement clamps of industrial equipment?

I thought about this and know exactly what I want to use. Someone happens to already make the parts.

Third, I think such a beast of a tank would need a bigger engine than the regular land raider, have you thought about bulking up the engine block on the back? I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the company that makes sci fi engine stacks, but if you were to combine them with a baneblade's shrine like back engine plate- you'd make for a holy buttkickin' engine block.

Well..... I've already glued the LR engine block. So it's staying.

Lastly, how are you planning on making the heavy flamer sponsons? Have you thought about making some kind of improved armor paneling for the sides and front? I get the impression the ares is armored in a similar fashion to the achilles, as naturally these tanks would attract a lot of firepower from the enemy who would be rightly terrified of the firepower this behemoth can bring to bare!

Extra armor has definitely been on the list. The flamer sponsons will be either be Redeemer parts or I will get the Bane Blade flamer bits.

Edit once again: Ah, found a picture of the engine bit I mentioned, and it provides a link to a store on the website. (Not sure if this violates anything, but I don't want to incur the wrath of mods accidentally, so not gonna give a direct store link.)

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95974&d=1283577691

More pics can be seen here: Neat engine block

It's quite prescient of you. Those parts will be in the mail to me Monday, but for a different project.

Got the vents on.

gallery_61777_7803_102694.jpg

I got a nice cut on my thumb getting rid of the closed hatch area.

gallery_61777_7803_1070391.jpg

A mock up to see how it looked.

gallery_61777_7803_784018.jpg

I was very happy to see that the vent piece I had clipped off, fit perfectly next to the turbines on the bit of plasticard.

I am still trying to figure out how to properly fill the space between the back of the cannon and hatch/vent area. I think I'm going to have to build a plasticard box of some sort. Or maybe an angled piece...

Ok, I was running into concerns with the cannon placement as shown above. The cannon was very high relative to the dozer blade, and that gap behind the gun was really proving difficult to fill with my amateur plasticard skills. Not to mention (the biggest reason for changing the layout) is that there would be no where for a twin-linked assault cannon.

So let me know how you feel about the below layout:

gallery_61777_7803_970625.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_905585.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1210965.jpg

Looks like a proper bunker buster there. The size of that cannon is ridiculously silly. In a good way.

Now then, the layout looks okay but I reckon that middle/hatch section will need to be fettled until the top of it is level with the fan section - whether that'd be by sanding, converting the land raider underneath so that it fits or whatever. The more uniform the silhouette, the better.

Looks like a proper bunker buster there. The size of that cannon is ridiculously silly. In a good way.

Now then, the layout looks okay but I reckon that middle/hatch section will need to be fettled until the top of it is level with the fan section - whether that'd be by sanding, converting the land raider underneath so that it fits or whatever. The more uniform the silhouette, the better.

Well right after I posted and read your comment, I found a spare razorback/predator plate! After some clipping and sanding, TA DA!

gallery_61777_7803_1382062.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1975988.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_116016.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1840724.jpg

I'm getting a moto-boner looking at this. DO WANT.

I think it would be easier to use the Land Raider Redeemer's Flamestorm Cannons.

Here is what I have done today. I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves, but if you have questions, please ask.

I think I am going to attempt to use lots of liquid greenstuff to smooth out the dozer extensions. I just couldn't get it with regular greenstuff.

gallery_61777_7803_167438.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1351706.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_723608.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1096759.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_588223.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1729958.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_347955.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_758529.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1117652.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1591166.jpg

gallery_61777_7803_1036993.jpg

Decent work - a bit of filing here and there might help, provided you've got the right shaped files for it. It's either that or some fine grit sandpaper. ;)

Well I just had a thought... I think maybe I could remove all the rivets, and then cut out very thin plasticard to overlay the entire face of the plow. I think that would be easier than continuing to fight with all that greenstuff. I will have a couple days to think about as I probably won't have any modelling time for the next couple nights.

Loving this! Best use of the BMC I have seen to date.

On the greenstuff I would stick another, thinner layer of regular greenstuff over the top and then file it down, but hey, thin plasticard all over would work too!

Either way, keep up the good work!

Archived