Primarch of the Blood Angels Sanguinius

lilloser

The Primarch Sanguinius Lord of the Blood Angels

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/P1020676.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/P1020699.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/P1020694.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/P1020677.jpg

In celebration of Forgeworld's release of Angron, the Red Angel and the Horus Heresy supplements I thought it auspicious that my Primarch conversion is complete.

Further design notes and bigger pictures can be found here

Any comments or criticisms will be warmly received.

LilLoser

Hey Lil,

Regards this:

Excellent work!

My only crit would be he's a little womanly.

Absolutely agree with you.

What they said. Still an absolutely amazing model.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of his brothers thought exactly the same thing.

Fantastic conversion, I love the massive dynamic you have going with the wings.

Od.

The miniature is exctremely well done, looks fantastic, but again I echo that it's ended up looking a little feminine (think the base mini is female though, right?

:P since when?

I like his features and build. They work exceptionally well - Sanguinius is supposed to be beautiful, gracile above all of his brothers; if the base mini is female, it was evidently a canny choice IMHO. Those wings are just exceptional. Nice touch with the blood angel's feet not quite touching the soil. My one criticism is that I think the fur draped over his shoulder blends in too much with the wings and is a bit visually confusing - the change in colour and texture is subtle, and I think it could do with the leopard spot pattern it's usually depicted with. Otherwise this is possibly the best primarch model I've seen. It's something else.

The miniature is exctremely well done, looks fantastic, but again I echo that it's ended up looking a little feminine (think the base mini is female though, right?

:) since when?

Since forever...none of them had the heart to say so :)

OT: Your modelling skills are truly first rate LL, it is a really cool model and awesomely executed technique despite the feminine aspect.

The head is brilliant, the weapon sublime, your paintjob is up to it's usual awesome standard and the wings are wicked.

Get those legs apart so he can fly like a man and look less like he needs a toilet stop and you've got him nailed.

I don't mean to come across rude, I don't know how else to say it. Sorry.

stobz

I must say that this rendition of the primarch is an inspiration. Love this representaton. He is very graceful and beautiful. I have started sketching my ideas for the primarch using true scale techniques to make him bigger than regular Space Marine. I love the fact that you used tomb kings bits for the halo. Where did you get the wings? I am wanting to play him in a game since I found the rules for using primarchs in an apocolypse game. Keep up the good work. I would love to see you do a build of the Emperor maybe use the painting of the fall of Sangunius as inspiration. The Emperor looks kick a in that painting.

I'll echo what others have said. All around a very awesome model with nice painting to boot. You should be proud of yourself. :tu:

However, for me the model tends to be a bit too feminine. I think the model could have used more bulk and a more aggressive pose. But that is just my opinion and I never could do anything like this. :)

I think this is absoluteky amazing. Its fantastic. Personally, I think the feminine look really does set off the Sanguinus look. If he was more butch, I'm pretty sure the comment would be "he's not... Pretty enough"...

The problem with saying he's supposed to be pretty isn't a good reason for him being girly. As men we see women as pretty, but women see men as pretty for very different reasons. (no I'm not taking homosexuality into account as that would just get silly). I still think it's an extrealy nice model, but Sanguinius it's not (IMO).

Look at dem birthin' hips. That is one girly Sanguinius. Slap a pair of knockers on that sucker, and she'll be a perfect Sanguinia.

Great paint job though.

HA! That's exactly what I thought.

Paint job is great, but the conversion overall seems a tad off. The lithe build might work for Fulgrim, but doesn't really sell Sanguinius for me. Majestic and angelic does not mean feminine.

Cheers guys. The model is getting a nice response with the common complaint of it looks too girly. The placement of the legs would naturally push the panels of the thigh armour from the body creating a false outline of the abdominal area.

A note on the model and painting.

Everybody has their own opinion in how these strong characters should be modelled and represented on the battlefield. These opinions are quite often entrenched in childhood memories and evoke quite strong reactions when presented with a piece of work that doesn't match their ideal of that character. Further to this, we all carry an image of these epic heroes at different periods of their lives. Sanguinius at the height of the siege of terra would have a different aspect to the Sanguinius of Ullanor. Not only that, but consolidating official paintings, images and textual information, when such information is on flux is a challenging process and requires a certain amount of artistic interpretation.

I have made the choices that I feel best serve the character of Sanguinius. I wanted a luminous, transcendent being that is far removed from the grudging desperation of warfare.

There is a common troupe among heresy / pre heresey armies for very dirty weathered models (which I am a huge fan of). However, for a being who can be described as luminous, dirty armour didn't seem to fit. The armour had been painted with Vallejo liquid gold and shaded with oil washes.

I thank each and every one of you who has taken the time to write a reply to my humble project and I ask that, even if you don't agree with the choices I've made, that you keep posting up in the same friendly and respectful manner.

So please no more posts like olgerth istaarn's; I don't know if this was a light hearted response (which I assume it was) as the tone in which it was written cannot be translated via text alone.

Thank you.

I would love to recreate these images in model form.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg637/GreenManDruid/Sanguinius_siege_of_terra.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg637/GreenManDruid/fat_sanguinius_by_inkary-d50zgzk-1.jpg

Also would love to see you recreate the Emperor from this painting.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg637/GreenManDruid/Horus_Sanguinius_Emperor.jpg

• 1 month later...
Love the ode to the original Sanguinius although he is now considered to have black hair instead of blonde. All the old material showed him with blonde hair so I think you made the right choice with the blonde. As far as him being too feminine, I completely disagree. I think this model is fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to field it with my army.

Impressive work on the gold armour. I was going to ask how you'd done it. I admire NMM but know I'm not quite up to trying it till I improve my blending. I also find that NMM can look great from a single viewing angle, but look odd on the table top. I get the impression that this model looks good from all angles.

As for the scuplt, I don't see the female aspect others talk of. The ratio of shoulder to hips is masculine, and so are the proportions of the face. Having lower legs crossed one behind the other would make the extended thigh armor deviate out. He is of a more slim build, less bulky than most SM models but I still think he looks masculine. In that he reminds me of the Sigvald Chaos champion Warhammer miniature.

In my imagination, at least, not all the primarchs were proportioned like bodybuilding steroidal he-men. I know they are described as being head-and shoulders taller than marines, but that doesn't say anything about whether they had similarly bulky proportions. I'm re-reading First Heretic at the moment, and Lorgar is described as being quite slender in his build. I imagine Sanguinius would also be of a more slender athletic build. If Dante's helm is meant to be the death-mask of Sanguinous, the facial proportions look consistent with this model.

Archived