PtR - Oct vow

lhg033

ok - my vow for this month is to finish of an old metal librarian with staff and pistol that i had started a couple of years ago with the previous paint range

this guy was a bit of a break form my usual painting of DA/DW/RW colours and i was trying to puch myself a bit.

where i left it:

i had done the metals, face, librarian pad and staff head. i was most of the way through the armour but hadnt done any backpack for him, needed to finish of the staff and tidy up/finish the details like purity seals etc

since then he's been badly stored and suffered a few scratches here and there so i will need to correct these

i started work on this guy again last night and have finished off his armour. i actually ended up pretty much redoing al the blue armour in end

gallery_20758_4465_449955.jpg

looking at the pic now i think i will try and add a bit of depth on the gold with a purple wash and working up a bit more of a highlight as well as fixing up the details mentioned above.

note self - next time don't decide to paint on the floor, watching TV and knock over the pot of wash. thankfully the box i had the pot in didnt let any through to the cream carpet below!

I've always liked this sculpt and I think your painting is very good - I love the black bolt pistol !

I am glad to see that there are others that like the black casings ;) I think that these days most people paint them red just because GW is painting that way :)

keep them black - keep them more dark - the angels way. the way that Lion approved :rolleyes:

I started in 3E and everything was red lunchboxes. Decided I really didn't like it, painted everything black.

Came back years later, thought the black wasn't nearly contrasty enough. Back to red - though I don't paint it anywhere nearly as bright as 'Eavy Metal does - I use Mechrite Red.

i originally used the old paints a few years ago but have overpainted these with the current range as they didnt quite match up

the GW ultramarines scheme though i didnt use the 'dry' paint. i kept the highlights to upwards facing edges or pointed corners. i also id an extra couple of glazes on the undersides of the armour to give more shadow. i really liked how it turned out too and aside from drying time for washes and glazes that i did a bit to thick it was pretty straight forward and quick

at some point i need to do an old vs new painting comparison with my original DA's compared to my AoV to see whether/how far i have progressed. the danger is this will lead to me wanting to strip them all down and repaint.

i originally used the old paints a few years ago but have overpainted these with the current range as they didnt quite match up

the GW ultramarines scheme though i didnt use the 'dry' paint. i kept the highlights to upwards facing edges or pointed corners. i also id an extra couple of glazes on the undersides of the armour to give more shadow. i really liked how it turned out too and aside from drying time for washes and glazes that i did a bit to thick it was pretty straight forward and quick

at some point i need to do an old vs new painting comparison with my original DA's compared to my AoV to see whether/how far i have progressed. the danger is this will lead to me wanting to strip them all down and repaint.

Say what you will about GW the current paint guide they have up is pretty good. Yeah I am not a fan of the Drybrush ones.

Will try it on a Libby :D

Archived