Varnishes, when and how to use?

irwit

Hi all

Ordered myself a set of vallejo model air varnishes, gloss, satin and matt. Having some plus and minus point with them so far.

I'm using the gloss to help with the washes as I am told they flow into the creases better. Well I tried this stage and it worked really well, I was much happier with results vs putting the wash straight on the paint.

Then I put a layer of matt varnish and things went very wrong. Basically i ended up with a powder layer all over my model, like dust? Did I do something wrong? Hopefully someone can let me know where I went wrong.

Anyway, did another test later and the matt varnish worked a treat, kind of. EG. I use an airbrush for the marine paint then paint sections black. Now before using varnish I never liked using black as it always had a gloss finish next to the matt finish from my airbrushed layer. Now using a matt varnish over everything the black looks correct. However the final finish of the model now looks a bit flat? Should I be using satin ?

Basically just after some advice using varnishes with an airbrush, any help much appreciated ;)

just found this guidance for your issue bud, hope it helps

Step 1: Try warming up your models. Sometimes, on rare occasions, that might be help enough. For some reason the heat can melt the layer of varnish or something and restructure it... I don't know the technical reasoning for this, but it works. If it doesn't, don't put your hair dryer away just yet.

Step 2: Apply a gloss varnish (any make will do but I noticed the GW and Vallejo work best). Before you do it, warm a model just a little bit as in step 1.

Step 3: After the gloss varnish has dried out, heat it up again and apply matt varnish. This should fix your problem.

just found this guidance for your issue bud, hope it helps

Step 1: Try warming up your models. Sometimes, on rare occasions, that might be help enough. For some reason the heat can melt the layer of varnish or something and restructure it... I don't know the technical reasoning for this, but it works. If it doesn't, don't put your hair dryer away just yet.

Step 2: Apply a gloss varnish (any make will do but I noticed the GW and Vallejo work best). Before you do it, warm a model just a little bit as in step 1.

Step 3: After the gloss varnish has dried out, heat it up again and apply matt varnish. This should fix your problem.

Hey man

Thanks for the advice, will definitely try it out. To be honest had another try and the Vallejo matt varnish really seems to be sucking the life out the paint, I may try applying with a brush to make sure its not my lack of airbrush skills being the problem.

|Cheers for the links, I will get hold of some asap.

So in terms of quantities. For The vallejo varnish I am currently using around an even ammount of drops of thinner to drops of varnish in the airbrush.

What would you guys suggest in terms of ratios.

How many drops varnish/flow improver/ thinner/ water ?

Also would these be any different for the windsor newton matt varnish, Im going to try and get hold of that too as it sounds like it may help.

I don't get too worried about being precise. Usually I'm thinning varnish with a roughly equal amount of water with a good few drops of flow improver.

If you thin with an airbrush type medium that's alcohol based, the medium will evaporate VERY quickly. If your spray distance is long, this means your paint is dry when it hits the model, and effectively you're just coating it in dust; the varnish droplets don't flatten out (level) when they hit, and you get a chalky finish. You could spray with less flow (ie don't pull the trigger back so much) and much closer, but for varnishing this would take too long; better to use plain ol' water and flow improver; both of these keep the mix 'wetter' when it hits.

You want the paint/varnish to look slightly glossy when it goes on (even with matt for the most part), you DON'T want it looking wet/runny - that just means your flow is too high.

W&N varnish is pretty much the same as the Vallejo stuff in terms of behaviour (and hardness / protection). Still not as hard as a gloss lacquer, but it's good enough, so long as you (or your mates) don't pick up minis by the fist full and keep them loose in an ice cream tub.

I don't get too worried about being precise. Usually I'm thinning varnish with a roughly equal amount of water with a good few drops of flow improver.

If you thin with an airbrush type medium that's alcohol based, the medium will evaporate VERY quickly. If your spray distance is long, this means your paint is dry when it hits the model, and effectively you're just coating it in dust; the varnish droplets don't flatten out (level) when they hit, and you get a chalky finish. You could spray with less flow (ie don't pull the trigger back so much) and much closer, but for varnishing this would take too long; better to use plain ol' water and flow improver; both of these keep the mix 'wetter' when it hits.

You want the paint/varnish to look slightly glossy when it goes on (even with matt for the most part), you DON'T want it looking wet/runny - that just means your flow is too high.

W&N varnish is pretty much the same as the Vallejo stuff in terms of behaviour (and hardness / protection). Still not as hard as a gloss lacquer, but it's good enough, so long as you (or your mates) don't pick up minis by the fist full and keep them loose in an ice cream tub.

Thanks so much for all this advice, its such a great help! Sounds like I am doing a multitude of things wrong so Im really hoping this will help. I guess with varnish you'll only know if you have done it right after it is too late!

A dusty finish with AB'd on varnish is almost always drying in flight. Bad varnish reactions tend to result in firing stringy masses (which you should notice and stop immediately, unless you're doing it on purpose for a spiderweb effect). Wet a brush (water) and brush it on the model. If the dusty / fogging goes, you're safe to put a coat or 2 of gloss on to hide the dustyness (it's an artefact of the rough surface given by matt varnishes). Then, once dry, hit the model with satin or matt again.

Dudes.

Save yourself a ton of money with gloss varnishes and buy some Johnsons Klear multisurface floor wax.

You get 750ml for about £3 and it goes a LONG way, is very easy to airbrush and brush paint and is very high gloss,

therefore is perfect for an intermediate layer for applying decals to, before applying a final flat coat.

Its found in most supermarkets and places like Robert Dyas too.

I realise it sounds odd to use floor wax, but it is acrylic based and ive been using it for years with very good results

on all my models, (mainly plastic aircraft models) and furthermore its so relatively cheap compared to a specific modelling product you can spray many many layers

and have multiple stages of chip protection on your models.

It also aids blending of paintwork and gives a good filter effect like "propper" varnishes do. CHECK IT OUT!

for the flat coat I would recommend Xtracrylix flat varnish

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XA1FF

its easily thinned with water for spraying and is DEAD FLAT when dry.

Dudes.

Save yourself a ton of money with gloss varnishes and buy some Johnsons Klear multisurface floor wax.

You get 750ml for about £3 and it goes a LONG way, is very easy to airbrush and brush paint and is very high gloss,

therefore is perfect for an intermediate layer for applying decals to, before applying a final flat coat.

Its found in most supermarkets and places like Robert Dyas too.

I realise it sounds odd to use floor wax, but it is acrylic based and ive been using it for years with very good results

on all my models, (mainly plastic aircraft models) and furthermore its so relatively cheap compared to a specific modelling product you can spray many many layers

and have multiple stages of chip protection on your models.

It also aids blending of paintwork and gives a good filter effect like "propper" varnishes do. CHECK IT OUT!

for the flat coat I would recommend Xtracrylix flat varnish

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XA1FF

its easily thinned with water for spraying and is DEAD FLAT when dry.

I thought they stopped making that? I tried to find some the other day. So does it need thinning in an airbrush and how much better is it than Vallejo? Also would you rate that. At finish any better than the Windsor? I'm sure I.l end up trying them all but be good to hear if you have tied both.

They still make it as far as im aware, the bottle has changed from clear to white, but im still able to find it in my local shops ok.

I havent tried the Windsor, im sorry.

You wouldnt need to thin it at all, its thin enough to go in the airbrush neat.

I find it alot easier than vallejo because it seems much less prone to clogging up the nozzle.

Klear doesn't need thinning. The new formula is slightly milky but dries clear. Stocked at morrisons, waitrose and Asda I think. Well worth having. Downside is cleanup, I find an ammonia solution is needed to clear my AB. This said, for canopies, you can coat in klear and it'll protect it from fogging with CA. A cotton bud soaked in ammonia will remove the klear and the fogging with it. Handy! You can matt it down with Tamiya flat base, but this is a pain in the arse compared to just using a big tub of premixed artists varnish of the required finish, hence me recommending the W&N.

Cheers guys, ill try and get hold of some of the klear too. So I would use klear for the gloss stages and then the WN matt I think for final coverage.

Couple of questions.

"Protect it fogging from CA" what is CA ?

When you say an ammonia solution to clean, what would that be? I have the vallejo airbrush cleaner, would this be what i am after or something else?

Cheers guys, ill try and get hold of some of the klear too. So I would use klear for the gloss stages and then the WN matt I think for final coverage.

Couple of questions.

"Protect it fogging from CA" what is CA ?

When you say an ammonia solution to clean, what would that be? I have the vallejo airbrush cleaner, would this be what i am after or something else?

CA = Cyano Acrylite...aka...superglue.

I normally use vallejo airbrush cleaner straight after Klear use and it seems to be fine.

Just make sure you clean the needle aswelll or it can work its way into the brush,

set and then you have a stuck needle!

Hi all

tried the WN matt varnish and have to say its not matt at all, its definitely more of a satin finish. Used a brush to put it on. Is this right? The Vallejo matt is seriously matt, I'm going to try painting it on and see what it should look like as "correct" so I know if my result with the airbrush is correct or not.

I quite like the idea on using the WN for everything then using a matt for the rubber and material sections, should hopefully give a slightly more realistic finish. May even a gloss somewhere in there too, on gems, eyes etc. What does everyone else think on using multiple types of gloss finish?

Archived