Yellow Marines

smallvictory

Just finished actually painting something to post in the HoH and now it's time to get back to a WIP. My old WIP was abandoned last year so I'm starting over here, grabbed some GS this morning and put the final touches on the big guy after months of neglect. Going to paint him like my termies (see HoH post) wich should take a while but I'm not certain how the mutations should be done. Any suggestions would be great, the wings are my biggest mental block. CC always welcome and thanks for looking.

gallery_31750_4411_82216.jpg

gallery_31750_4411_92681.jpg

Thanks Squeaky, I have high hopes for him.

Well I joined the Call of Chaos so this post will now be for that purpose. I have pledged to complete three Obits, the one above and two more that I haven't even started yet. A sorcerer that I'm converting the Chosen champion from the DV box and six Flamers.

gallery_31750_4411_98552.jpg

gallery_31750_4411_49849.jpg

Pretty basic and not entirely original with the horror arm but there is plenty of work to be done. I've read on a couple of blogs to mix GS with Apoxy Sculpt and the robes are the first time trying it, it's the way to go for sure! So much more controle pushing it into shape, if you haven't tried it you need to.

To do list:

1. Sculpt warband symbol on shoulder pad of sorcerer and find him a weapon replacement for that power mace.

2. Fill all of the gaps on those Flamers, they are sooooo big....geez!

3. Make ten bases for the whole project.

That should keep me busy for now, Good luck to everyone answering the call.

Well I kind of jumped the gun, I finished making bases and filled all the gaps on the flamers so that's good. But I couldn't help myself from starting to paint the first oblit. Waiting is so hard for me, so now I have to build three to meet my vow, guess thats good in the long run.

gallery_31750_7854_54673.jpg

Finished the armor and mutant parts, just have the weapons and face details and he is done. Not sure if I should add feather stripes or just leave it alone, I never know when to stop.

gallery_31750_7854_21348.jpg

And here are the bases, 4 unprimed Oblit bases, 8 regular bases primed and one painted example I had left over.

Ordered a box of Terminators today to convert into Oblits so I have everything necisary to finish the call, thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update as much as a review, I sat down to work on my next Oblit for the call and decided to try out Gale Force 9's 1.5mm snake chain. This stuff is the easy button for tubing or mech/tentacle thingies on tech marines. The best part is my pin drill is the perfect size already. Just drill, cut the desired length and shove the chain into the hole with some glue and done.

gallery_31750_7854_78589.jpggallery_31750_7854_53533.jpg

@PipX - No, it's just a bit of wire I stole from my garage. It actually looks terrible after paint, the strands are so thin the paint hides the detail, the GF9 wire holds the detail perfectly (I sound like a commercial).

@A Kvit Ghost The bases are made out of Super Sculpy and playground sand. I wrote a tutorial for another filthy xenos site :P a while back when I was distracted by shiny objects. Here is the link

If there is any interest I'll do one on the B&C too, it's pretty easy and inexpensive.

The sorcerer must listen to a lot of heavy metal :D Ill have to copy that one some day... Concerning the wing on the obliterator i think it fits great into your overall theme with the chapter markings. Oh and those bases are cool, seeing them have actually made me rethink my own bases.

Call of Chaos November update 1

gallery_31750_7854_2763.jpg

2/3rds of my Oblit pledge done!

@Zacco- Copy away brother and thanks for the kind words. I have put Feathers/bird references throughout my army, glad you noticed.

@Dez- I never tried guitar strings, my complete lack of musical talent acts as a repelent to music stores, I do recomend giving the chain a shot though.

Next the Sorcerer....

Call of Chaos November update 2

OK I lied, started the sorcerer, hated the sorcerer, shelved the sorcerer. Instead I began painting my first flamer, I have never painted flames before so it's taken me a few tries to get a technique down. It's time consuming but I'm kinda proud of how it's going. Ignore the unfinished details, I just wanted to show some flames.

gallery_31750_7854_39553.jpg

Also it's an excuse to get my second post in for the month :P

• 5 months later...

Aaaand I'm back!

Thanks Zacco and KBA, those oblits are my favorite units in the army right now.

So I finally made a Lord to lead this merry little band (sorry for the lack of WIP shots of the GS/converting work) and have pretty much finished the basecoats. The yellows are done and the head just needs the metallics, this is the best glowie eye effect I've done yet and wanted to post it before I move on. I really struggled with the color scheme of the jugger, I didn't want it to look cartoony and I can't paint black to save my life so going red with yellow is where I landed. I'm thinking bronze collar and shin armor to finish and being more aggressive with the red shading on the body.

gallery_31750_4411_52351.jpg

gallery_31750_4411_59896.jpg

Thanks for looking and C&C's are always welcome.

Archived