Black is the Badge of Hell: A Black Legion Blog

Noctus Cornix

Thirteen times shall the Traitor King go forth.

In the End of Times the iron fortress shall be cast down,

Its walls breached and its Gate force open.

Those that dwell beyond shall spill through it.

The air shall burn and the ground shall melt,

The Daemon shall lie down with the Machine,

Brother shall slay Brother with fire and sword,

And the sky-wound shall pour its malice forth.

The Eye shall stare unblinking at its prize,

And the Traitor King shall cross the bridge of stars.

He shall return to finish the Warmonger's red work,

Upon holy soil shall the fate of Man be decided.

- The Liber Malefact

Good Evening Brothers and Sisters. It's that time again where Noctus says he is going to start an army and he says he will be serious about this one and see it through to the end.... How many times have we gone over this before? 6? 7 times? Well no longer shall I go back on my word and leave my army in a pile of unpainted bitz. I have heard the Warmaster's call and I march beneath the banners of black. I will see the Imperium burn with my own eyes.

So, once again without drooling like a fan-boy, I love this new codex. There's so many things in it that I just find amazing and inspiring. One thing in particular that this codex has done, and was never achievable before was get me to like the Black Legion. Original, I had always loathed the Black Legion with a passion. They had always been this boring and bland army of failures and idiots who can't get anything right. There was nothing unique about them, nothing that peaked my interest. With the Horus Heresy stories, I had grown a fondness for the Sons of Horus and the Warmaster Horus, beloved by all but, I still couldn't get into the Black Legion. Then the new codex came along and it all changed. There's something about this new codex that in some subtle way changed the Legion 360 for me. The word BLACK CRUSADER somehow resonates with me. I'm not sure why but the idea of that word really sits on my soul. In my head I no longer see failures. I see the very epitome of a knight of chaos, warriors and murderers who butcher their foe as much for the dark gods as they do for their own seething hatred. The Black Crusades do not feel like mere failure any longer but now it really does feel like something grander. It makes sense now that Thousands of warriors pledge their swords to the Warmaster Despoiler. And now I will forge my warband of the Black Legion, whom I will bestow upon the title...

The Covenant of The Abyss

To help kick start my new army, I decided to pledge myself to the Call of Chaos and create my new army from the ground up. I put on a hefty load for myself with 5 entries but I have faith in myself to get it done. My Oath was set in stone on the Call of Chaos thread but, I'd like to post it on here aswell.

Gods of Chaos! Lords of the Warp! Fathers of entropy, bloodshed, desire and change, hear my call!

I Noctus Cornix hereby pledge my soul, my allegiance and that of my warriors, to Chaos Eternal.

I swear to you that I will paint and present Warmaster Abaddon: Traitor King of the Black Legion, Two Squads of Chaos Space Marines, One Squad of Terminators, and One Chaos Dreadnought(Hellbrute) who march beneath the banner of the Traitor King Abaddon and for the Glory of the Black Legion, before January 18th, 2013.

I also promise to provide a project update, at least twice per month.

Noctus Cornix

So I make sure you guys don't fall asleep on me, I'll just shut up and post some pictures. ;)

Why don't we start off with, of course, the Traitor King Himself. This is my interpretation of Warmaster Abaddon, the Arch-fiend. I wanted a very basic but bad-ass feel for him. I considered giving him the Chaos Terminator Lord cloak but, I thought it would seem just a tad bit gaudy. Didn't really fit his style, in my opinion. His tabard needs a little work and there's still some filing to do but otherwise, he's done.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000157.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000158.jpg

And what would the Warmaster be without the fabled Talon of Horus? Now one thing that struck me as cool is that this weapon provides all Blood Angels with Hatred (Abaddon) and I think that's the coolest thing in the world. But, I thought simply having the weapon would not be enough... I'll give those filthy Blood Angels something to really hate... The design is inspired by the awesome piece of artwork in the codex.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000160.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000161.jpg

And last but not least, the champion of my Justerian retinue for Lord Abaddon. I went for a very classic sword and shield loadout to fit with the Black Crusader theme I want for my army. In game terms, these fellas will be counts as Chaos Terminators with Mark of Tzeentch with Twin Lightning Claws.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000168.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000169.jpg

Comments and criticism is always welcome. As always, enjoy. :o

both of those models are amazing and at the same time i hate you because now i want to rip all the rocks off my 100 or so painted guys and use cork board! jk don't hate you but i can see that looking so much better than my bases haha. also where did the shoulder pads and shield come from on your champion? they are both very cool bitz.

both of those models are amazing and at the same time i hate you because now i want to rip all the rocks off my 100 or so painted guys and use cork board! jk don't hate you but i can see that looking so much better than my bases haha. also where did the shoulder pads and shield come from on your champion? they are both very cool bitz.

Nah man, I know exactly how you feel. I used to use fish tank rocks for my bases and I hated them so much because almost none of them would be flat so I was always frustrated. I saw Dan the Daemon using cork board and I thought it was so awesome but I could never find any. Then, not too long ago, I was helping my mother clean out her classroom for accreditation and while I was shifting through stuff, I found just two stacks of random cork board lying around, each package had 4 sheets of the board. I asked her about it and she just said 'whatever' about it and so now I have enough cork board to base three armies over and I know where to buy it now. Its awesome.

The Justerian Champion's shoulder pads are from the Fantasy Chaos Knight set. Which brings up a question for you guys. So, I have 15 terminators. The plan is to make 10 of them regular chaos terminators with terminator helms and shoulder pads but, for the Justerian bodyguard will have fantasy chaos warrior helmets and knight shoulder pads to give a more antique feel. Now my question is, does this seem out of place? I'm not not sure because Abaddon will have standard chaos terminator lord shoulder pads so will it look weird with him and his bodyguard not having the same type? Weird question, I know.

yeah i don't think it would look as good as if they were all the same, or if maybe just your champion had them? i wish i had as extensive of a bitz collection as people on this forum do, but alas although I've been playing forever i have not started too many armies, mainly just made a stupid huge chaos 40k force.

if your in the states where do you get your corkboard from? cause now i have to get some. i use the galeforce 9 rocks so they look ok but at the same time i just don't like them as much. maybe i won't rip all of them off but certainly a bunch of them. i do have about 20k more points to paint though so maybe I'll do the unpainted stuff first then start ripping off bases if im still inclines too haha. also what about that shield? im determinately going to be stealing that idea for one of my nurgle foot lords. figure its a good way to explain the +1T without having to make my IW guys all...you know, nurgly.

Alright, sorry for the double post but, its a quick update time.

So now I give you my Chaos Dreadnought (I will not say Hellbrute), Champion Xaphan.... Well.... What's left of him atleast. Now he is just a raving lunatic forced inside the sarcophagus of a Dreadnought and butchers all life before him to bury his own agony. It's safe to assume he's not a nice fellow. :P

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000162.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000163.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000164.jpg

One of these helmets is not like the others...

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000166.jpg

Comments and Criticism always welcomed. Enjoy.

Loving the Dread......wait a minute, what it this Treachery? VIII Legion Trophy helms? for shame Noctus!

What can I say? I've been playing the VIIIth Legion for a long and for some reason, I can't say why, they've fallen out of favor these days. It probably has something to do with me constantly arguing with all the new kids on the block who have this imaginary idea of 'puritan' Night Lords who never use chaos and Blah Blah Blah... I'm not completely dropping the Night Lords, no sir. In fact, I will be having a contingent of them in my Black Crusade army but they'll be showing up in a way nobody will be expecting. :lol:

Kol- Oh ya, that was fun to make. :)

Steve- Glad you like it. :lol: I'll be using a shield for my Chaos Terminator Lord Xian, Leader of the Covenant of the Abyss. He'll have the MoT with Sigil of Corruption so he'll have a 3+ save.

Archived