Pingo's Space Wolves

pingo

Hi all!

I'm currently working on a Space Wolves army and wanted to keep a log of my progress. There's a lot of inspiring stuff in B&C's Works in Progress forum, so I hope I can live up to the standard.

To start things, off, here's pretty much the most important model in my army: Rikkard Threadcutter, the White Wolf, Jarl of Fyf.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kHp3HeYrjws/UI2GgBRmW_I/AAAAAAAAACU/XOJl9vdqibA/s1600/2012-10-27%2016.33.55.jpg

A few more pictures are available on my blog here, where I'll be posting in more depth about my progress.

Thanks for looking. I'll try to respond to as many comments and questions as I can.

That's a very nice Wolf Lord you've got there. Dynamic pose, great big axe, cool Forge World torso and pads. Just needs some paint and some buddies now :)

Ludovic

Thanks, Ludovic. All in good time, my friend, all in good time :P

(Need to wait for a decent day to prime him! lol.)

(Need to wait for a decent day to prime him! lol.)

Yeah that can be a real pain in winter :) Hopefully you'll get such a day sometime soon! And I'll try and be as patient as I can :P

*N..n...need...m...more...pin-...go...updates!*

Ludovic

That is one hell of a Space Wolf!

I wish there mini's like that when I had a Space Wolf army :) The nearest thing to awesome back then was the Leman Russ mini, which looks very dated now (I still have him, but Freki and Geri are gone :P )

Are you going to paint them how many do (light/baby Blue), or Grey (how I used to paint them)?

His base (and the terrain on it) is huge! I hope he can look after himself! :P

Rikkard laughs in the face of True Line of Sight ;)

Hopefully you'll get such a day sometime soon! And I'll try and be as patient as I can ;)

*N..n...need...m...more...pin-...go...updates!*

My plan is to get things ready to go at short notice and keep my eye on the weather. I finished all this building a bit late in the year really.

Are you going to paint them how many do (light/baby Blue), or Grey (how I used to paint them)?

Thanks, Aquilanus! My Wolves will be grey, but a cold and slightly blue grey. I like the GW pale blue well enough and it's a very effective paint scheme, but there's something about grey Space Wolves that feels right to me. Should be easier to paint too – I've been formulating a 'quick and effective' method which should hopefully work out when I test it.

Thanks, Aquilanus! My Wolves will be grey, but a cold and slightly blue grey. I like the GW pale blue well enough and it's a very effective paint scheme, but there's something about grey Space Wolves that feels right to me. Should be easier to paint too – I've been formulating a 'quick and effective' method which should hopefully work out when I test it.

I'm an old school 'Wolf fan (I only painted Russ in Grey blue because of the pics around then), and to me Wolves are grey. I've had a look at your Ultras awhile ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing him painted :P

Run for your life ...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OKUXLf6MqFo/UI7O69RoM3I/AAAAAAAAAEo/Q7DlLxJyJ1c/s1600/2012-10-27%2016.46.51.jpg

Introducing Varungr Hellblade. A Wolf Guard with frost blade. A ... big ... frost blade ...

I hear tell from the Aett that Varungr also makes a mean lumberjack in his spare time.

As always, more pictures and info on the chainblade is on my blog here.

Well, he sure is compensating for something. You wolves a little insacure about the size of your gene seed? All kidding aside, looks pretty great. Looking forward to seeing Rikkard Threadcutter painted! Keep it up mate.

-Tarvik

I may have missed it, but which Great Company do these lads belong too?

And when do we see some paint? ;)

My Wolves are of the fifth Great Company (fyf in the parlance of Fenris), otherwise known as Rikkard's Great Company after the Wolf Lord, Rikkard.

As for paint ... if the weather is good I'll prime them all tomorrow. Otherwise, they'll be primed as soon as I have chance and the weather is good enough. Once primed, it'll be a test model then the painting will start in force.

Frost makes plants wilt and is uncomfortable on bare feet. That is a Blizzard Blade.

:lol: nice

Anyway, back to the WIP shots. I sorted some out for my Wolf Priest:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z7CSpI-FtEU/UJKnGXA4y8I/AAAAAAAAAGo/5_CqhFy8UkE/s1600/2012-10-29%2020.03.17%20-%20Copy.jpg

This is Hrafn Fire-in-the-Heart, Wolf Priest to Rikkard's Great Company.

Totally inspired by one of my favourite ever minis, more pictures and details on how I went about building Hrafn are on my blog.

Thanks for looking!

Another excellant conversion with character and charm by the bucket load!

I think the Priest is probably my favourite of the bunch. He just has such a commanding presence and his facial expression is perfect for his role.

Whats next?

Mike.

I've posted up pictures of some of my power armoured Wolf Guard pack leaders on my blog here.

Here's a group shot for you.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-npncTGUyh8k/UJgX8uMzAoI/AAAAAAAAAIw/XA1KDJv0MkI/s1600/2012-10-27%2016.40.22.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I finally got a test model painted.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2oq-_FxYhxM/UJwglyNhWSI/AAAAAAAAALw/sQKWR9vZrh4/s1600/2012-11-08%2020.57.54.jpg

I am going for a somewhat desaturated look on my Wolves. Not too bright. This mini uses a lot of drybrushing and washing. In fact, there is essentially no line highlighting, layering, or blending used. My plan is to develop a style that is quick, easy, and effective with the aim to get my army done as quick as I can, but without skimping on quality.

More pictures on my blog as usual.

Let me know what you think.

Also, I'm looking for some advice on the rock base. I need a paint recipe that will produce a dark coloured rock, with perhaps a slightly blue hue to it. If anyone knows how I can do this, or knows of a tutorial online, please let me know.

Archived