++++ Fifty Shades Of Brown ++++

Jay Taint

Gentlemen and Ladies,

As I said elsewhere,

I, Jay Taint of The Tainted, hereby pledge my soul, my allegiance and that of my troops, to Chaos Eternal.

I swear to you that I will paint and present a Daemon Prince HQ, a Decimator Daemon Engine, and a squad of 7 Plague Chosen of The Tainted, before January 18th, 2013.

I also promise to provide a project update, at least twice per month.

Here shall be the place that I'll provide my project updates. I'll post at least twice a month -- the next update would be due before, or at, November 16th thus -- and, if time and motivation permits, I'll post more. Chaos helps those who help themselves, so be the gods in my favor.

I'll get these models painted in the colors of The Tainted. I've started this project a while ago, but became distracted by side projects and spin-offs. And then I'm a slow builder and painter too. Long story short: I don't have too much stuff finished at all. What has been finished was done, or is about to be done, over the small-scale escalation tournament my group's fighting. I've set up a B&C blog that I've planned to use for documenting my progress. It's lagging behind, but I'll update in no time as I've finished stuff to clear my bench for what's coming up ... I'll post some Terminators and a Dreadnought/Helbrute that should give an impression of the particular color scheme I'm aiming at for The Tainted. 50 shades of brown basically.

I'm also lagging behind my schedule here. As of today, November 2nd, I haven't built everything I'll paint for the Call of Chaos V. But I'm confident I'll get there. My Daemon Prince is basically done. He's got priority because I need to get him into action for that escalation tournament. That's why I didn't put too much effort into building and basing him; to get him going fast ... The Decimator is something of a difficult story. I've had it half-way assembled on my desk for the better part of this year. I'm not happy with its head; it just doesn't look Nurgle enough to me. I've tried a few things only to break its jaw at some stage. I've got the bit somewhere and I'll fix it soon. More importantly, I think I've figured out how to mod its head: Think Cthulhu meets Dark Mechanicum/Sepktraal Cult. I'll also try to merge several weapon options into one combi-weapon ... Finally, my Plague Chosen have been rather straightforward. I've built them such that I can field them as shock troops, either Chosen or basic Plague Marines, with meltas and close-combat weapons. They'll be fun to paint. There's a bit of basing to do, but I'll get that done in no time.

I'll keep editing this first post to track the updates below.

• 2012/11/02: Daemon Prince built; Decimator to be finished building; Plague Chosen to be based.
  • 2012/11/22: Daemon Prince halfway done; Decimator and Plague Chosen built and based ...
  • 2012/12/01: ... and finally primed.
  • 2012/12/13: Paint on every model! Base coats going; Daemon skin progressing.
  • 2012/12/31: Daemon Prince done!

I've got some pictures of the three: The Daemon Prince, the Decimator (including the icon-of-despair marine for size comparison), and the Plague Chosen. This will be done.

gallery_63799_6815_10037.jpg

gallery_63799_6815_40276.jpg

gallery_63799_6815_54591.jpg

gallery_63799_6815_20993.jpg

Cheers, JT

• 3 weeks later...

It hasn't been a really good hobby month. In a way it has: I got stuff done I've had on my bench for months and just couldn't find inspiration, or motivation, to get my hands on. But I haven't made very much progress for the Call Of Chaos. Now, as of November 22nd, I've got everything built. I'll get it primed in a minute. Then I'll have some time to let it dry. I'll have visitors from up north for a couple of days; I won't get anything done before Tuesday next week.

Oh, and I've made some progress on the Daemon Prince. He's maybe halfway finished. I've done most of the base and washed the yellow; everything else is basically base coat.

gallery_63799_6815_46385.jpg

... And then there's the Decimator. This is what I've been talking about. I've had it halfway assembled for like 10 months. Now that I finished its Nurgleification and stuff, I finally get to feel some empathy towards it. It'll be great to paint. And, as you can see from the size comparison below, he's absolutely massive!

gallery_63799_6815_44423.jpg

gallery_63799_6815_22604.jpg

gallery_63799_6815_7481.jpg

I'll go and get my stuff primed. Keep fingers crossed I get to catch up.

Cheers, JT

Cheers, MagicMan. I reckon I'm going through something of a painting depression lately. I'm struggling to take the time and get something done. And it's exactly the wrong timing. I'll have a busy December.

Meanwhile ...

gallery_63799_6815_78994.jpg

I wouldn't really consider this an update. But it's kind of a proof of life. It's been a beautiful, beautiful summer day and I got the Decimator and Plague Chosen primed. I also found the time to fill gaps with a brush and watered-down Chaos Black (or whatever the stuff is called these days). I didn't exactly paint, but it was great to have a bit of peace and time and get my hands on a brush actually ... I'll be busy playing for the better part of tomorrow. But I'll take some painting time on Sunday.

Thanks for watching. Have a good night.

Cheers, JT

Hey there,

thanks for reading, guys. I'm having a bit of trouble catching up, but who hasn't? And, the truth is, it could be so much worse: Today, I'm happy to announce that I actually have got paint on every model. I'll find a bit of quality painting time over Christmas and New Year. So there's really a small chance I do get to catch up.

Could you please tell me how you make the small boils and tiny holes on your decimator? It looks amazing.

It's simple. I've got the small little plastic beads from a Brita water filter. I don't know what particular filter I've got; I've just grabbed the first random Brita filter I could find at my local grocery store. Break them up to find plastic beads and activated carbon, and throw away the carbon. All credits go to my friend Circus Nurgling on this board. He got me into that. I pushed and poked the tiny holes using random pins and a small GW hand drill. It's tedious, but simple enough for me.

As I said, I actually got my models primed and I'm on the way to finish base-coating them. I'm aiming at a paint scheme that matches these guys:

gallery_63799_7447_64851.jpg

It's a simple paint scheme that works well for me however. I think I'll stick to it throughout the development of the army. The brown base coat is really simple and fast to do. The bad news is: Cleanly painting the trims takes forever. I bit the bullet and took the time thus. I'm basically done with the brown base coat and the green trims. The brown looks a bit too bright and shiny for my taste. But it'll tone down over the washes in no time.

gallery_63799_6815_35958.jpg

gallery_63799_6815_80785.jpg

I've also started to paint a bit of Daemon skin. This was a particularly slow process as I've never painted larger ares of skin before. Maybe you wouldn't notice, comparing with November's picture: I've painted and shaded the face and belly skin.

gallery_63799_6815_22765.jpg

I'm not happy with it and don't really consider it to be finished. But I think it's finally going somewhere and starts to look like, well ... skin, or what a Deamon prince would have for skin. Like, dead skin. I'm considering to give it another shade with an actual color, maybe something greenish, maybe something brown, or both; but something that'd be a bit warmer, less stoney. What do you guys think?

Anyway. I'm off to bed. Thanks for watching. Any comments are welcome!

Cheers, JT

• 3 weeks later...

I'm way behind my schedule. Today's December 31st, New Zealand time, and I slowly get to think I'll fail this ...

I have some progress to report. But I'm not happy with the way the Decimator's going. And there's still a lot to do for the Plague Chosen. In fact, I felt so unhappy with one Chosen's head that, eventually, I cut it off and exchanged it for something different. That doesn't mean too much extra work. But it's not very encouraging either. Technically, I haven't made it out of the building phase with these models.

The good news: I've finished the Daemon Prince. I've actually defined it to be finished. I never painted that much skin; I never painted a monster, not to speak of a monster this big. I learned that it's totally different from Power Armour. Here's as it stands now:

gallery_63799_7447_42781.jpg

gallery_63799_7447_68433.jpg

I'm not exactly sure if I'm happy with it. I've seen so many awesome Daemon Princes on this board here. I draw a lot of motivation and inspiration from it, but then, when it comes to my own stuff, it makes me feel somewhat insecure. However, he looks alright on my desk and it'll be right for casual gaming. And I reckon it's good enough to define it finished for the purpose of Call of Chaos.

C&C is more than welcome! Thanks for watching, and have a happy new year,

Cheers, JT

Archived