Iago the Ancient, Lieutenant of Chaos Undivided

Warsmith Aznable

Iago the Ancient, Lieutenant of Chaos Undivided

Chaos Lieutenant, Unit Type: Infantry (Character), Unit Composition: 1 (Unique), Points: 50
5 5 4 4 2 5 3 9 3+

Mark of Chaos Undivided
Iago is favored by the Ruinous Powers, but not yet claimed by one. He may join any Infantry unit regardless of what Mark of Chaos they bear. If he is the only HQ choice chosen for the Primary Detachment, he may be designated the Warlord, but does not generate a Warlord Trait. In addition, Iago must roll on the Mark of Chaos Undivided table below after deployment but before the game begins.

Wargear
Power Armour
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
Frag Grenades
Krak Grenades

Special Rules
Independent Character
Champion of Chaos
Mark of Chaos Undivided

Options

Iago may choose items from the Melee, Ranged, and/or Special Issue Wargear sections of the wargear list.

Iago may take Veterans of the Long War for 5 points.

Mark of Chaos Undivided Table (d6)

1. Lacks Personal Ambition - The Chaos Lieutenant is a strong warrior and loyal to his master. Perhaps too loyal. The Chaos Gods are jealous and spiteful beings... - +1 STR, +1A, and when rolling on the Chaos Boons table, all Dark Apotheosis results count as Spawnhood.

2. Known Coward - The Chaos Lieutenant is favored by the Master for reasons unfathomable to anyone else. The warriors despise him, but follow his commands as if they were the Master's. - After a Challenge from the Chaos Lieutenant is accepted, any model from a squad he has joined may be chosen to fight the Challenge in his place while the Lieutenant fights with the rest of the squad as normal.

3. The Master's Enforcer - The Chaos Lieutenant is the eyes and ears of the Master, and no warrior is willing to let his name be poisoned by the Lieutenant's disfavor. - Any unit the Lieutenant joins becomes Fearless while he is joined to it.

4. Conniving Manipulator - The Master will not be happy with the Chaos Lieutenant for rushing his plans, but a swift and decisive victory will placate him and keep the Lieutenant alive. - Begin rolling for Reserves on Turn 1 instead of Turn 2.

5. Edge of Glory - The Chaos Lieutenant is powerful in his own right, grasping for more from fickle Gods who hesitate to claim him. - The Chaos Lieutenant generates a random psychic power at the beginning of every turn (along with the Warp Charge to use it), discarding the previous turn's results. The player may roll on any Chaos God's psychic powers table, but must choose a different Chaos God than the previous turn.

6. Useful Idiot - The Chaos Lieutenant has failed his master too many times, or worse, threatens his dominance over the warband. He may still prove useful one last time, however... - Once during the game, the player may call in an Orbital Lance Strike centered on the Chaos Lieutenant's position, scattering 1d6" rather than 2d6". This may take place during the player's Shooting Phase, or any Assault Phase that the Chaos Lieutenant is engaged in.

I came up with the chart in a thread in the Chaos Ascendant forum while kicking around the idea of bringing back the Chaos Lieutenant entry from the 3.5 codex. The stat-line above is lifted directly from that codex, as I figured that would be the safest thing. The point cost is 5 points higher than the 3.5 entry, because the Chaos Lord had a 5 point difference between the current and 3.5 codex.

I need to write up a "flavor" entry for him. I named him Iago because of Shakespeare's Othello character, because he's a unique character and all that, but I hesitate to actually put him in a Legion or warband. Mostly because I don't know which one would be best for him. He'd probably have to be from a non-Legion warband, a later chapter that fell to Chaos. Maybe a Cursed founding, I don't know, but I like the idea of him being some generic shmoe who's clawed his way to second-in-command of a random group of pirates.

Any suggestions on that would be very welcome, as well as C&C for the mechanics part of it. :lol:

i really like it, a nice cheap lordy character in large games to lead a squad or a great lord alternative in smaller games.

about the chart, its excellent, i really like the idea and how much it reminds me of older times. though if GW were to add this sort of thing i can only see it irritating some people as you never know what you get, you could start with something useless like fearless in an already fearless unit.

Archived