My Chaos Lord on Juggernaut and other CSM minis [Updated]

Cmdr Shepard

Greetings fellow hobbyists,

I'd like to share with you my Chaos Space Marine conversions starting with the Chaos Lord on Jaggernaut. I will include a description of the part I used for each conversion. I hope you will like them.

gallery_61103_7966_63319.jpg
gallery_61103_7966_505422.jpg
gallery_61103_7966_407653.jpg
gallery_61103_7966_110440.jpg
gallery_61103_7966_500057.jpg
gallery_61103_7966_326969.jpg
gallery_61103_7966_191695.jpg

The Juggernnaut itself and the lord come from the new fantasy skullcrushers kit. The Axe (counts as Axe of the blind Fury) and left arm with shoulder pad come from the CSM Champion plastic kit while I took the plasma pistol nd the left arm from Raptors kit.
The backpack is the one from the Dark Vengeance Chaos Lord. I wanted to use a FW MK3 shoulder pad for the left arm but I relalized the only shoulder pad that could fit was the one from the skullcrasher sprue. I know it created an asymmetric look but it is not uncommon in modern Sci-Fi msn-wink.gif . I still believe a MK3 shoulder pad would have looked better and I hope this "unconventional" shoulder pad didn't compromised the whole model.

Anyway What do you think? Your opinion is very appreciated.

I have converted nearly a dozen of model for my CSM collection and I'll be glad to upload their images as soon as possible.
In the mean time I can share with you a model based on the Forge World Space Marine Bionic character kit..
I simply glued the front plate from the CSM set with the cape from the SM Commander kit and I added the Raptors Power Sword, the Warp Talons helmet and the CSM shoulder pads.
Here you can give it a look:

gallery_61103_7967_76499.jpg
gallery_61103_7967_225617.jpg
gallery_61103_7967_87209.jpg
gallery_61103_7967_228523.jpg
gallery_61103_7967_258843.jpg

I really like the jug- lord, he's supurb!

But The Slannesh lord with bionic legs... the non chaos blinged out leg just throws that peice off. the bionic arm, and leg are fine. It would be better if you green stuffed, like muscle tendons, or daemonic looking parts to add in some flavor to plain Imperial looking armor. He's just to Iron Warriors looking to me. And the Helm, and sword just scream pain, and pleasure like the shoulder pad mark signify. Hope that helps

I really like the jug- lord, he's supurb!

Thanks.

But The Slannesh lord with bionic legs... the non chaos blinged out leg just throws that peice off. the bionic arm, and leg are fine. It would be better if you green stuffed, like muscle tendons, or daemonic looking parts to add in some flavor to plain Imperial looking armor. He's just to Iron Warriors looking to me. And the Helm, and sword just scream pain, and pleasure like the shoulder pad mark signify. Hope that helps

I never said he was a Slaanesh Lord (well he has a Slaanesh shoulder pad but I was just thinking about a marked leader of an unit, or simply a part slavaged on the battlefield). The FW kit remained unused in the box for months until I dcided to used it and I added the Chaos parts I had at that time (I had very..very few of them ;) )

It is just a quick conversion and not one I'm very proud of, honestly. It was just a chance to use parts that I never had the chance to use before.

I prefer to not sculpt new stuff since I'm not very expert at it. The mix of Imperial and Chaos parts was made with the Night Lords in mind. Beside my own "Chapter" is a rogue one that does not worship chaos (another Night Lords similarity).

Bionic parts show the attrition of their warfare. Anyway, as I said this miniature was a low-ambition project. In the weeks that followed I managed to acquire a lot of Warhammer fantasy Warriors of Chaos parts and they fit nicely with the SM/CSM line. Still following the inspiration from ADB Night Lords' novels I built few minis using the Blood Angels armour. I'll post the pics asap.

I'm aware the "mixed look" (Imperial+Chaos parts) is not very popular but I'd wanted to have minis that can be used with CSM and possibly with a HH Legion army I'd like to build.

Maybe you will like the next models more. ;)

Anyway I'm really glad you found my Lord on Juggernaut superb... :lol:

I like the Jugger lord, he looks pretty damn tough. Why not try putting some cables and wires on his body, just to sci-fi him up a bit more? The other guy is cool too, but it's not a Slaanesh shoulder pad, it's a Tzeentch pad...

I like the Jugger lord, he looks pretty damn tough. Why not try putting some cables and wires on his body, just to sci-fi him up a bit more? The other guy is cool too, but it's not a Slaanesh shoulder pad, it's a Tzeentch pad...

I'm still looking for "badass-like" Sci-Fi styled cables, wires or accessories... I want to add very good looking parts since I really like my Jugger Lord. Any suggestion?

I know it's a Tzeentch pad... I confused it with the two anspiring champions I assembled for standard CSM squads who have Slaanesh pads. As soon as I looked at the real model I realized the mistake but I hadn't the chance to come here and edit the post. Thanks for correcting the mistake ;)

EDIT: typing error corrected

Well, Dragon Forge has a range of pewter power cables that are pretty cool. They're easier to bend into shape than guitar strings and there's loads of different sizes of them. A good thing to do is cover them with green stuff, then cut holes into it to show where the cables insulation layer has been damaged.

Small guage guitar strings (the b (or 2nd) and high e (1st) strings) are good to simulate wiring and small cables. A thicker cable such as the dragon forge ones, with a thin guitar string alongside looks good...

Well, Dragon Forge has a range of pewter power cables that are pretty cool. They're easier to bend into shape than guitar strings and there's loads of different sizes of them. A good thing to do is cover them with green stuff, then cut holes into it to show where the cables insulation layer has been damaged.

Small guage guitar strings (the b (or 2nd) and high e (1st) strings) are good to simulate wiring and small cables. A thicker cable such as the dragon forge ones, with a thin guitar string alongside looks good...

I'll follow your suggestions. I should make a test using blu tack-like stuff before gluing any element on the mini... just in case I do something wrong :o

Very nice Juggernaught and Lord, brother. It's about time I saw a Khorne Lord with a humongous headdress. ^_^

I thought that helmet would have been a nice choice for a Chaos Lord influent enough to wield a Daemon Weapon and ride a Juggernaut ;)

Where does the Juggernaut Lord's skull shoulder pad come from?

It comes from the Warhammer Fantasy Skullcrusher kit.

I have new pics for you. It's just a very simple Aspiring Champion conversion. After I used the Axe from that kit for my Lord on Juggernaut I had a arm less champion so I used a lightning claw form the Raptors/Warp Talons kit and I added a FW MK3 shoulder pad.

Here the result. As I said it's a very simply conversion, just to not waste the rest of the kit ;). I hope you like it.

gallery_61103_7971_110526.jpg

gallery_61103_7971_165130.jpg

gallery_61103_7971_33375.jpg

The skullcrusher set, you say? Excellent.

Also, nice, elegant conversion you've got going there. Definitely digging the detail on the new Chaos stuff.

I'm glad you liked it. I saw some pics of your own works and they are amazing.

It's a good thing to hear the conversion is digging the detail on the new Chaos stuff. Personally I tried to achieve a mixuture between the Gothic Chaos Style and the standard Imperial one for several conversions since I'm building a Space Marine chapter (well a little more then a chapter :P ) that is definitely a sort of "rogue" force but not devoted to chaos. I think the mixuture of styles can give the sense of a group of warriors walking the space between two worlds. I also think it's a good way to represent "covert/black ops" fighters. I really like the idea of a group of SM fighting against chaos and several imperial organization alike in order to fulfil their own purposes.

Nice conversion on the aspiring champ with the lightning claw. I hope you dont mind if i borrow it for my night lords?

Feel free to do it. That's one of the reasons I share my conversions with the B&C community :) .

Since you mentioned Night Lords I want to tell you I followed the inspiration from Night Lords novels and used Blood Angles armours as basis for few CSM conversions. I'll post the pics as soon as I can.

Stay tuned, if you are interested in them :o

I definitely advocate mixing in Chaos parts when building Loyalist models. Some of them are damn cool, and frankly still look awesome after 'cleansing'.

That's was exactly my though. I wanted to build a Space Marine army who somehow "severed" the ties with several "branches" of the Imperial governement but didn't succumb to chaos worship.

Mixing parts seemed the best way to describe such status.

As I expanded their fluff (I'll post it on B&C one day, when I finally decide to write it down. Now it currently exists in my mind and in several "scrathpads ;) ) the CSM-like army become a part of a chapter who decide to recreate a Legion-like force (thus the issues with Imperial governement). The other parts of the force will be assebled with Heresy models (both infantry and vehicles).

I know it's a quite ambitious project, both in real life terms and fluffy ones ;)

UPDATE:

This is the first model based on the BA Sanguinary Guard armour.

The parts come from 7 different kits:

1. The body from Sanguinary Guard, 2. Weapons and arms from "Tactical" CSM, 3. Helmet from fantasy Warriors of Chaos box 4. Cloak from fantasy Chaos Marauders 5. Left shoulder pad from FW MK3 armour 6. Backpack and right shoulder pad from Tactical SM, 7. Helmet on the ground from a SM vehicle set (I think it's the Land Speeder).

It's also possible the right shoulder pad comes from the SM commander. I don't remember since they are nearly identical.

I hope you like it. Feel free to post your opinions :)

gallery_61103_7978_77197.jpg

gallery_61103_7978_127129.jpg

gallery_61103_7978_20681.jpg

This one is a little bit too loyal compared to your other models. :lol:

I'd cut off the blood-drops on the legs and the collar, and maybe sculpt some chaos symbols on the knee-pads. Other than that, he's looking good. ;)

Snorri

I know the miniature looks very "loyalist like". Sadly it is the direct consequence of the "mixture of styled" I wanted to give to that particular army (I wrote something about the fluff in my previous posts ;) )

I had the same idea of cut the blood-drops, especially on the legs. However I thought the could be used to represent some trhophy or battle honour, if painted in a color different from blood. Anyway it's not a huge problem since cutting them will be extremely easy.

I'm not very expert at sculpting, that's why I usually don't apply such works to my conversions. I don't want to ruin them if the sculpting attempt is unsucessful. I should try to do it on some old and unsued mini first...

Anyway I really appreciated your suggestion. Feel free to post your opinions on my conversions, always :D

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I has been a long time since my last update of this project but I have some pic of painted Chaos miniature to show you. They are Dark Vengeance minis so they are not conversions but I decided to post all my CSM related pic in a single topic rather then creating a new one ;)

I panited these miniatures with "quick tecniques" since I alway have more minis then I manage to paint ;). I never completely paint an army because I move to new projects before then painting is complete, in fact I recently moved to several Legiones Astartes projects ;)

Just let me know what you think about them. I know there are much better works around B&C but I'd like your frank opinion.

Here the pics:

Chaos Chosen with Bolter

gallery_61103_8138_7763.jpggallery_61103_8138_20494.jpggallery_61103_8138_46559.jpggallery_61103_8138_21746.jpggallery_61103_8138_30317.jpg

Chaos Cultists (6 of them)

gallery_61103_8140_57314.jpggallery_61103_8140_104473.jpggallery_61103_8140_1265.jpggallery_61103_8140_3541.jpggallery_61103_8140_51443.jpggallery_61103_8140_62975.jpg

• 2 years later...
Hey! I really love the colors on the chaos chosen marine with bolter above. I've been working on a Night Lords army and I'm not sure if the colors would match 100% but I would love to know which blues and golds (and, I suppose, any other colors) you used on the chosen above. The blue looks metallic but maybe it's just me. Let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived