Came in 2nd at tournament!

Garath

Greeting brothers!

I am a very happy camper today,as I just finished a local tourney with 32 players (most of them VERY competitive ) and came in second!

About the final standings I'll comment later- but what seemed very unlikely has happened. I am a 40k veteran , and DA are my 8th army over they years. I hate playing with unpainted models and I hate powergamers which win events just because their codex is currently hip, and can only win with cheessy lists.

Prologue

With that out of my system , onto the event. It was a single day event with 3 games. My original plan was to go with Orks, but my wife's wish was to go for a walk in the centre- and we all know refusing that isn't a very good move in the long run.

So she says: "Honey (a popular term used by females when they want their male to go out of his way to please her desires) , my dad needs the car since his is in repair, so you'll be going by tram...and we could go for a walk."

- "aha ?"

- "so I was thinking, how many boxes do you need to carry your army" (as with a large Ork force in no less then 4 cases it is a bit hard taking a relaxing stroll down town center and watching the x-mas lights etc)

- "a few"

- "could you use less? - like one?"

- "sugar...orks should be used en masse" :P

- ".... ok, I'll use The Emperor's finest then !"

- "emperor???"

- "Space Marines!"

-"....aha....ok, and they fit in one box? "

- "yes, they do"

So, it 9.15 pm, you just reliazed that you have to use an army you haven't planned for and don't really have a competitive combo ready- what do you do?

I do have a painted up Deathwing force, with Dreads and Land Raiders in support- but I felt it wouldn't fare well , a different approach was needed.

Right...

The final list followed a 4th ed style of play- before rhinos and Razorbacks became all the rage.

HQ

Belial with Lightning Claws( yeah baby! )

Librarian with terminator armour

Troops:

10 tacticals , m launcher,flamer, power fist

10 tacticals , m launcher,flamer

10 tacticals , plasma gun, lascannon

10 tacticals , plasma gun ,plasma cannon

Deathwing squad with 2 TH/SS,LC ,PF/SB with AC and an apothecary

Fast Attack

2 Land speeders , HB both, one CML,one AC

1500pts

As you can see, the list is mediocre at best ,by today's standards . As I have no flyer or anti flyer options- I went for 2 land speeders as they have the largest number of shots that could, with some Divination help and luck take flyers down.

Tacticals, tho more expensive then their Vanilla counterpart, are still good, still solid and still effective in large numbers.

Act one

Arriving to the tournament half an hour before start is cool, but not as good as arriving with a finished list. Sat down, wrote it and off I was into the unknown.

First opponent was a Tyranid player with a a combined list: Tyrant, Borrowing MC, Tervigon, 16 Genestealers with BR, 7 ones that come out of terrain and assault you, some gaunts and flying gaunts. A unit of Warriors was also present.

Honestly, I never bothered to learn the names of the newish units. Main thing to remember is that that can all get FNP from Tervigon,all die to bolterfire and in flamers (and Emperor) we trust! ...gosh I whish I had a Whirlwind.

Scenarios was Emperor's will , setup was Dawn of war. Additionally , Fast attack units will both be scoring and worth a KP.

He won the roll off, decided to go first and set his OBJ near the centre. Terrain was to mutual advantage- a ruined city with lots of buildings and streets. His advantage was the fact that cover is available. Mine is that between buildings where streets which are going to be used as killing fields.

I set my objective to the furthermost corner ,diagonally from him. I was going to make those all buggers walk and take the pain on their way in.

He took first turn, with Nighfighting with his army partially spread up to avoid templates, and mine castled up in the corner, with Belial and CO in deep strike and land speeders in reserve.

His set up took at least an hour, as setting up so many models takes time, no to mention all those psychic powers.

By the time I set up (a reasonable 10 min later) we where behind the rest of the tables by 2 turns. To our defense, there where people that where slower.

Tyranids 1st turn

Genestealers with Warriors advanced through the central building under the cover of night towards my 3rd tac squad (lass,plasma ) . Burrowing MC borrowed.

Everything else advanced slowly keeping a 24" distance to reduce casualties while coming in.

Dark Angles 1st turn

The turn where a single gene stealer was killed. I failed every possible roll that I could, my plasma cannon killing himself on his first shot.

My movement involved some re-arranging without moving heavy weapons. A pretty uneventful turn .

Tyranids 2nd turn

This :P just sucked. His genestealers came from reserve and proceeded to swarm my line. Shooting bugs sniped my heavy weapon dudes and all hell broke loose.

Dawn of war is very hard to play vs 'nids if you don't have a fast moving unit with flamers,or Vindicators and Whirwinds. (note to self)

So I was about to get my ass handed to me , after being teared a new one....but around the beginning of his turn, 30 min warning was called.

Ha-ha!!! - no way he's gonna break the line in a single charge.

Stealers and warriors did come in, but the marines held their ground. 3rd squad was whiped out. Borrowing MC killed a few of my tacticals while coming out in the middle of my line.

After a huge multi combat , my 1st tactical squad failed Ld and where stuck with genestealers in cc(after he rolled a 6 for sweeping advance).

The player of the day is Librarian , being fearless and holding the tide back.

....the stage was set for the greatest comeback in recent 40k history!!!

Dark Angles 2nd turn

- seeing the time running out, Tyranid guy kept hurrying me. I wasn't taking my time, but was not going to make a mistake because he took an eternity to set up- and was made to walk all those inches .

Belial with DA gang ! and Land speeders .

Terminators deep striked onto his point, running to contest. Land speeders moved flat out and scored line breaker.

The turn ended with him sweating.

Tyranids turn 3

...gaunts moved to contest his point....and dice down was called!!!

4-2 for me in the end.

After that, lucky event and a win snatched from the jaws of defeat - I found out that my next opponent was an Ork Killa kan list. I know Orks like the back of my hand. Scenario was Purge the Alien (so kill points) and the short end of the table where our deployment- a walk in the park for me.

Act two: In Emperor we trust

My opponent had this list:

HQ Big Mek with KFF (joined to 20 Shoota boys)

Big Mek with SAG (joined to 20 Grots)

Elites : 10 Loota Boyz

Troops

12 Shoota boys with NOB in a trukk

20 Shoota boys with NOB

20 Shoota boys with NOB

20 Gretchin

Deff dread with Big shoota and a Skorcha

Fast attack

2 Deff koptas with Rokkits and a Buzsaw

Heavy support

3 Killa Kans with Rokkits

3 Killa Kans with Grotzookas

3 Killa Kans with Big shootas

A friendly list (no Nob bikers, no fliers) without a doubt. We rolled off, and I lost so he chose to go first.

9 Killa kans formed a wall in the centre, followed by Boys and Mek with KFF. Lootas deep left, Grots and SAG deep right. Trukk on the right flank, koptas on left flank.

I decided to castle up, leave termies and Belial in reserve. I was lucky to roll the Warlord trait that gave an extra VP for each character killed.

Orks 1st turn- no night fight

They all run- no surprise. There was still a good 24" gap between the two armies. A single tactical died to Big shoota fire. Land speeders where deployed too deep to be reached by Lootas ( "da Beakie boys be smart and scared of Da Loota ladz" - was herd from across the table.

Dark Angels 1st turn

Right... so we have a trukk and Koptas trying to engage us early on. Landspeeders, Rocket launchers and some rapid firing led to Koptas being reduced to a single Kopta with a single wound, and the Trukk gone iwht only 2 boyz inside alive.

Good use of firepower. I was 2-0 in the lead.

Orks 2nd turn

So more runing and a few tactical die to firepower here and there. A unit of Killa kans came to within 11" of my PF tactical unit that was joined by Libby.

Deffkopta killed one tactical with it's Rokkit and charged- but the brave brothers cut it down in over watch .

SAG was missing my squads by far and killed only 3 tacticals in 2 turns of fire.

Dark angels 2nd turn

Time for the Killa kans to die. At least that was the plan. Terminators teleported into the back field just a few inches from SAG and grots.Just as planned. They ran to spread out in shooting phase ,not to be obliterated by SAG.

Tactical squads engaged Orks on the left flank(after destroying Deffkoptas in his turn) in short ranged firefights. Firefights suck for orks when there's no good cover to be found...and I was using 15 marines vs 20 orks. The middle of the table was a big traffic jam as Orks behind Kans couldn't advance as fast since Kans where slower even tho the ran.

2 Missile launchers shots and a decisive charge by PF tacticals and LIbby spelld trouble for Killa kans...we strike first (with a single grenade attack each with re-rolls from Divination primary power) and have a PF. Only one killa kan operational .

Land speeders pelted the Grots, hoping they fail LD (ok it's 8 with re-roll but still) . They passed.

Orks 3rd turn

Orks on the left flank where in trouble. So tried charging the tacticals, 2 where cut down by over watch and the rest failed charge as they needed a 10 by then. He forgot to WAAGH. I wasn't going to remind him.

Lootas and SAG failed miserably to kill more then one terminator. SAG Big Mek was done for. He made a smart move, detaching Grots from SAG to form a semi circle around termies- buying their boss and extra turn of time.

Second unit of killa kans charged into the existing combat and killed all tacticals there except Libby , Sarge and m.laucher.

Some big shoota shots came land speeders' way, but failed to do anything.

Dark Angles 3rd turn

Tacticals on the left flank did their job- move back to a 12" line, rapid fire. Another 7 orks gone the big mob being cut down to only a few.

Terminators fired AC and charged the Grots- killing 10 total- making them unable to regroup . SAG Big Mek was left there all alone..

The mid table Killa kan brawl was just to be joined by a Deff dread...and my PF Tacticals almost gone. Right.

If I don't help them, they are done for in my round, then the Killa kans will just spam Grotzooka shots at my healthy tac squad left, and then charge- not good.

"We are space marines, the Emepror's fines. For each one that falls a hundred enemies will die ! "

I didn't say that, but was thinking it!

What I did say was- " These tacticals charge your Kans"- much to the surprise of a few already gathered people around the table.

- "Bring it on" - was his response. And boy they did....10 attacks, 7 hits,1 glancing and 2 penns.

2 Kans gone out of 4 total. The ones engaging PF squad missed attacks, the other ones killed the Libby.

Too bad- but I was winning , so no complains from me.

Land speeders shot the Dread scoring a single Penetrating hit, immobilizing it . Cool :P . That thing's not going anywhere.

Orks turn 4

No enthusiasm at all . He tried killing Termies AGAIN with both SAG and Lootas and killed 2. Still, Belial was there, that was all that mattered.

Big Mek with KFF repaired the Deff dread- upssie! It will move again!

Kans got finished off by tacticals. Orks on the left flank finally taught the will charge, but no such luck, dificult terrain and over watch- you get the picture.

In case you guys are wondering what the 3rd Killa kan squad did all game? Nothing, just walked from middle to left flank and never reached anything, as I was constantly giving him more and more ground to cover.

The did kill 2 marines this turn.

Dark Angels 4th turn

Belial and CO charge the SAG Mek and finish him off easy.

Tac squad with missile laucher kills the Dread. Land speeders kill 2 left flank Kans , which are by this point outside KFF bubble.

Tac squad on left flank rapid fire some more orks, and luckly only 2 are left and they pass morale.

After that , dice down is called and we shake hands!!! B)

End result

Dark Angles 10 - Orks 3

Thanks brothers. I will post the 3rd Act soon and I must say I was surprised of the way the troops did on the field, as I haven't played 3rd Company in the new ed.

The tourney showed me some new and some old trick we can make use of when deploying Tactical marines, as I am and always was a firm believer in the tactical marine as our greatest asset when used with care and support and in large numbers.

Would you guys like a inner depth look at our tactical marines , for the younger brothers who are just starting out.

Thanks brothers. I will post the 3rd Act soon and I must say I was surprised of the way the troops did on the field, as I haven't played 3rd Company in the new ed.

The tourney showed me some new and some old trick we can make use of when deploying Tactical marines, as I am and always was a firm believer in the tactical marine as our greatest asset when used with care and support and in large numbers.

Would you guys like a inner depth look at our tactical marines , for the younger brothers who are just starting out.

Yes please, I was just about to ask if you'd be so kind as to share what you've discovered!

Archived