WIP Hammers of Blood space marine chapter

EzekyleVIII

Chapter name: Hammers of blood

Chapter colours: white with red arms and shoulder pads

spacemarine.jpg

Chapter Badge: Crossed Hammers infront of a shield, a blood drop in each hammerhead

doctrines: codex astartes adherents, though with a teeny deviation in reagrds to defensive tatics. this being, for example, if called in aid will teleport 1st company veterans, all armed with storm shields and thunder hammers, directly in front of the charging enemy (sounds better in my head looking at it, but i hope you can see what im trying to aim for)

right now for the fun bit i wish to work in somehow: i'd like the chapters homeworld to be a civilized world, and in it's history blood angels armour was uncovered, then displayed in a famous museum of some variety dedicated to the angels and sanguinius. Being on a homeworld with said famous museum and some loss of record of their founding occuring somewhere somehow, the chapter thinks they are a descendant of the angels as far as they are aware. not knowing of the taint of the angels they continue on in their beliefs, until a chaos incursion occurs in a sector nearby, potentially alpha legion and a bit of a ruck ensues.. alpha legion sorcerer captures a living hammer of blood after a failed skirmish, much heroic chit chat, sorcerer knowing of the blood angels from previous encouters tries to make the chapter go do-lally to no avail.. realizes they are not ba succesors, chuckles to himself, and plans to use said information.

hammers finally manage to get alpha legion into a pitched battle on a world in x sector, and chapter master of the time with his honour guard , gets to a one and one with sorcerer and his chosen who uses found truth to attempt to shatter the chapters resolve, chapter master gets a touch angry about this, loses his proverbial rag and gets chopped up by the sorcerer.

Then blood angels appear! drop pods rain from the sky and assist the hammers in driving the alpha legion away, surviving honour guard move to thank the angels and ask for their help in deducing their lineage. hammers are told they are not true blood angels but will forever be brothers in the eyes of the chapter, and then continue to fight on in the emperors and sanguinius name.

current chapter master: leonardo ( will build this fellow from marneus calgar, a blood angel bare head, and a thunder hammer from and inquisitor model i had knocking around)

current fighting strentgh: 750 marines approx due to above battle

battle cry: upon an anvil of honour, strike the hammers of blood msn-wink.gif (i am a turisas fan yes)

battle barge: Defender of Borgio (also will be purchased and painted up in chapter colours

geneseed: currently unknown, on going search for their true forebears

could the above potentially happen? i dont think its too out there, and im not seeking for them to be better than anyone else, just a chapter with a nice bit of history and a penchant for using hammers alot. for hitting. and when the IA is made i will be more 40k with my language tongue.gif

That's a clever idea you've got going, and I think its perfectly viable. Have you built much past this? I ask because the build up to the revelation is kinda strong(even in that short summary), mostly because we know how dangerous the Alpha Legion is, and what they can do with a scrap of intel, and this is more than a scrap. SO when the Chapter Master finds out, perhaps he goes into said rage, gets cut down, with exposition that's believable but not climactic. Same with the appearance of the BA only moments later. It undoes the intrigue provided by the Alpha Legion. Now if you build the Chapter's new search for its genetic legacy into its new 'story', than that's all cool, everything else was just intro. If you intended this reveal to be the main course, though, I think it should be dragged out across a few worlds/battles, and maybe implement the BA differently.

One important thing you'll need to make clear, when and how your Chapter lost the knowledge of its genefather. Be sure to make them old enough that there's enough time for that.

Yeah, some way to loose something that is pounded into every marine from creation, not to mention the fact that the AdMech and HLoT know ... have fun with that one.

Yeah, some way to lose something that is pounded into every marine from creation, not to mention the fact that the AdMech and HLoT know ... have fun with that one.

While I know the Blood Ravens aren't a favorite example, they're there, and between all the intrigue and corruption of the Imperium, and the myriad contradictions in both canon and unofficial fluff, I think it can be done. It may take something catastrophic, but it can happen.

I also think its doable without destroying half the chapter also. its gonna take a little thinking out but im coming up with something.

now as for the main story of the hammers. i've been having a mull over your comments messor and i think ive come up with a reasonable expansion upon it. using your idea for battles over a few planets, the hammers are spread out across the sector dealing with incursions of various sizes. The chapter master sends, at this time, first captain leonardo to deal with a call for aid from a nearby forge world, while he himself takes control of a third of the chapter to fight on an agri world which supplies half the sectors food requirements. the reason it takes a third of a chapter to defend an agri world? the sorcerer.

Meanwhile at the forgeworld, not long after the hammers move into orbit a strike cruiser translates into system. responding to hails the cruiser identifies itself as belonging to the blood angels, responding to a call for aid. they were on a return journey from a mission and picked up the signal. the forces combined planetside, to be greeted by and archmagos with a gun to his head, and in a shower of robo gore the two chapters fight to break out the alpha legions trap.

back to the chapter master and he's been busy! multiple skirmishes across the planet have spread his already stretched forces, some battles being more successful than others with many brothers being lost (insert kidnapping here ). the chapter master couldnt help the feeling he was being led, but defiance, anger and the need to show the traitors the error of their ways was stronger, and proceeded to link his forces together to deal with the alpha legion or die in the attmept.

after nearly three days fighting Leonardo and the blood angels broke the ambush and battled the traitors to a man. this man being one of the sorcerers chosen. in usual chaos fashion, spitting in the face of leonardo tells him he is too late to stop the downfall of his chapter, they will be broken and the chapter master will fall etc. fearing in a know no fear manner for his lord, leonardo sunders the traitor with his hammer and races back to the chapter masters side with help from the remaining blood angels contigent.

the chapter master drawn into the fight with the sorcerer (after a sensible time period and much fighting) charges his marines into the fray, himself heading for the sorcerer and his chosen. recieving a garbled signal from orbit only half heard, catches that his first captain is close. with this knowledge he charges into the sorcerer and the fight well and truly begins. blows are traded, the sorcerer deflecting hammer blows with psychic shields and the chapter master swatting aside sword thrusts with his shield, the sorcerer taunts the chaper master with the information he has gleaned (see above). driven into a furious rage, the chapter master swings his hammer wildly leaving himself open and is caught with a psychic blast dropping his shield. knocked back but not beaten his ire is increased ten fold, slamming the thunder hammer into the ground before the sorcerer, sending tremors through the earth and felling the heretic witch. seeing his opportunity he presses home what he thinks is his advantage, with the battle raging round him, raising his hammer above is head and the sorcerer impales the chapter master all the while speaking vile syllables sapping the chapter masters life.

"though i may be undone, and i am fallen, know this witch. we are the blooded sons of the emperor and now the hammer falls on you" and with his dying breath a pulsating blue light emmanates from the chapter icon at his waist.

with crackling thunder and the stench of ozone first captain leonardo arrives and the head of a contigent of hammers of blood terminators and a blood angels strike force directly in the midst of the sorcerer and his chosen, bolters blazing, shields raised and hammers thundering into the skulls of the alpha legion marines.

aaaand thats as far as ive got with that one so far..

That's an epic foundation for a story, and I don't see a thing off hand that warrants change. Quite a driving battle.

I would advise against including it all in your IA, though. Keep it, feed it, water it, make it ever more awesome and maybe share it at the end of the IA, or in the Librarium with link going both ways. For the article itself, though, I would prune this solid foundation down into a summary, making sure to keep key locations and players, to plug in when appropriate. This may be in a 'Notable History' section, or if it marks a significant change in the Chapter it can go in the combat doctrine, or the beliefs, anywhere really with the appropriate tie-in.

In imagining how you might keep the Hammers from knowing their lineage without any extinction-class events, you might consider a full injection of the Alpha Legion that you've already got, some sort of plot to take control of a Loyalist Chapter.

Yeah, some way to lose something that is pounded into every marine from creation, not to mention the fact that the AdMech and HLoT know ... have fun with that one.

While I know the Blood Ravens aren't a favorite example, they're there, and between all the intrigue and corruption of the Imperium, and the myriad contradictions in both canon and unofficial fluff, I think it can be done. It may take something catastrophic, but it can happen.

In the end, ask yourself ... does this really add anything I need to the Chapter? I think you'll see that it doesn't and then you can just drop it.

Try this instead:

- Blood Angels were first to arrive on the planet during the great crusades, many fought and died there to save the planet and return it to the control of the Imperium.

- Because of this, the native population of the planet hold the Blood Angels in high regard, built the museum and seeing your chapter assumes they're Blood Angel decendents.

- Chapter are not Blood Angel decendents and tell the population that, but they keep calling your marines that.

- Eventually your marines give up and let them believe whatever they want.

- Continue with rest of your story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Same result as your original idea, but no nasty "I forgot who I am" insanity.

Honestly, unless you can find a way for 1000 people to suddenly forget who they are and all records on their homeworld, Mars and Terra be destroyed ... all at once, cause that's really what it'd take - I'd take another path.

• 2 weeks later...

Righty, after a marvellous christmas, then the not so marvellous return to work, and wrestling with the nippers pop up ball pool, im back to the work in progress!

now not wanting to rock the boat too much i have 2 ideas one is sticking to the loss of identy idea, the 2nd is an if that idea really does not sit well and will alter to that. So without further ado i shall procede with idea number one. again apologies for colloquial language and in the final IA this will be shortened or added to the tales of the hammers of blood. so i listen to a mighty band called iced earth, and many moons ago purchased an album called something wicked this way comes (part 1)(this is building to the story bear with :)) now this album contains a song called the clouding, which results in either a few thousand/hundred thousand/million humans being, as the song title suggests, clouded by the natives of earth (yes we werent always here!) and i believe i can pinch a bit and make it 40k ified.

Now this part of the hammers story begins with a light cruiser returning from a misssion, whereby upon hearing a rumour they went searching for an stc (;)) only a small contigent were sent, a librarian, a techmarine and a tac squad (9 men and a sergeant). finding nothing other than a few flints, some pottery and a scrimshawed bone comb, they commenced their return journey home. not long after entering the warp, a distress signal is picked up by the cruisers astropath, and a small course alteration later, the hammers move to investigate.

Dropping out of the warp, they find only an asteroid field and a single, seemingly immobilised ship of unknown classification. after several failed attmepts at hailing the vessel, shields raised and wepons armed, the cruiser cautiously ventures forward to investigate. In closer ranged scans anomalies start to occur on the auspex returns. becoming overly suspicious mr. librarian calls for full stop and a reverse of engines a little too late. the ships engine flare into life and a plethora of other ships emerge from the asteroid field ambushing the lone light cruiser.

In the face of overwhelming odds, the light cruisers shields fail and they are borded by none other than the nefarious alpha legion!! (dun dun dunnnn) after what was an incredibly one sided battle, half the tactical squad was destroyed, and the rest of the contigent were taken captive along with the ships astropath, although mr. techmarine managed to take a good chunk out of some alpha legionnaires ( bit of a side story to come in the bigger story article).

upon return to the alpha legions main vessel, the librarian awakens to the sight of a sorcerer (potentially the one mentioned in the above story and a reasonable termed grudge match ensues). the sorcerer tells of his evil plan in a villainous monologue to destroy yet another thin blooded chapter of the weakling imperium, and turns on a series of screens. one of the screens reveals the techmarine, stripped of his armour and bionics, being tortured to within an inch of his life by a dark mechanicum acolyte, another five screens flicker to life each showing a surviving member of the tactical squad (including the sarge), running through the bowels of the ship. the sorcerer in his monologue goes on to explain that the dark mech fellow is excruciating codes for the data banks of the hammers of blood from the techmarine, and the tacticals are being hunted by the alpha legion marines. because they can.

after some more torture the sorcerer has wheeled in the astropath of the hammers vessel, suitably bloodied. the next part of his plan is revealed. he intends to completely wipe out the hammers existance of the physical, with the death of the librarian causing a psychic shock wave which will be sent/amplified via the astropath resounding through the librarius, and exploding the minds of all the hammers. he also plans to destroy the data with a hunk of scrapcode transmitted from the hammers own vessel, laced with the access codes coerced from the now unfortunately deceased techmarine :(

lashing against his restraints the librarian spits a thousand curses at the traitor sorcerer, who laughs maniaclly at the feeble words of the librarian. meanwhile of the other screens only two tacticals remain. the sergeant and one other, the tactical pounding through the corridors with bolter fire snapping his heals, the sergeants screen however is empty.

back to the librarian now, drained both physically and mentally, is again greeted by the sorcerer. he points to another viewscreen, stating the scrapcode has been transmitted, and with that 4 pinpricks of light flash from the bottom of the screen towards the light cruiser, and moments later it explodes. now in walks in the vicious looking navigator of the alpha legion vessel, third eye closed, and steps in front of the librarian. the sorcerer utters a few words to his navigator. "kill him. slowly"

and the navigator gradually opens his eye, bleeding out raw warpstuff, and with that the sorcerer leaves the room.

remember the missing sergeant? somehow he's made his way into the service conduits and hears the horrific screams of his librarian and makes towards the sounds. dropping through and access hatch in the ceiling of the room, he lands behind the navigator and snaps his neck. upon breaking the connection a psychic bang hits the librarian, and the sergeant. the astropath lies dead strapped still to the wheeled in device. the sergeant tries to set free the librarian and is met with the words " i am undone, leave me, dont let them catch you"

the sorcerer having felt the savage disconnection blasts into the room with balefire in his eyes.

the sergeant takes a krak grenade from his belt, and looks to the librarian like he's trying to find words. in the end of that fleeting moment he says "The Emperor protects", and presses the activation stud. the sorcerer is blasted back out of the room, and all thats left is the charred remains of 4 figures.

across the galaxy hammers techmarines fight to stop the scrapcode, while upon recieving the psychic scream half the librarius is left devastated. during the recovery the realisation comes, that the hammers know not from who they descend, all they know, they are space marines of the emperor and they are made to wage war.

let me know what you guys think. as i said, it will be reduced for the main IA and probably be moved into its own story elsewhere.

that or if this is met with universal hatred i will happily go with idea number 2. which is more than likely going to end up along the lines of what ecritter suggests

Flicking through the C:sm, I came to the decision that i too would like all my captains named! so in the current 40K timeline after the events of the first story here's the lineup:

Chapter master Leonardo

1st Captain Vesuvius (currently converting a truescale power armoured model armed with hurons axe and a bolter-melta)

2nd captain Mussorgsky (found as a youthful tribesman on a feral world at the battle for bald mountain amongst a pile of grots and their ork slaver)

3rd captain michaelangelo

4th captain Tarquinius

5th captain Tatius

6th Captain Gaius

7th Captain Lee

Assault captain Franco Rosso aka franco the red

Devastator Captain Vitruvius

10th captain Satyricon, master of recruits

bonus points to anyone who knows where their names come from.. now back to the red stuff and action movies

Gaius and Lee are only recognizable to me as names from BSG. I assume that Vesuvius is named for the volcano, and Vitruvius for the famous drawing? The rest are unfamiliar to me.

sorry for being slow but whats BSG? you're correct with vesuvius, and i believe vitruvius to be an architect also. I have a fondness for history and learning so the other names came from a little research into italian history. some of the names are from the seven kings of rome, satyricon being from an old story (also conveniently being the name of a band i like). Mussorgsky is one of the exceptions to the italian theme, he be a composer who wrote the night at bald mountain, a favourite piece of classical i enjoy (look it up!)

here's a WIP of 1st captain vesuvius

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=269781

sorry for being slow but whats BSG?

Battlestar Galactica.

Which tells me I'm well off the mark XD.

Gaius is another old Italian gentleman, and lee is of Christopher fame ( and that one pic in the BA codex) :P

Archived