Prot

So I was taking some pictures of my army, wanting to collect it in one spot and thought with the amount of time I have put into playing, building and painting this army, it seemed only right to do a blog.

+++++++++++ Prot's Everything Dark Angels +++++++++++++++

"Fear not the heretic, nor the xenos for the Lion walks with us." Droxus Attalium - Dark Angels Librarian..

gallery_2760_9530_6504.jpg

Contents:

Notes: Most games are 1850 unless otherwise noted. Most games are played with a traditional force org, using the Maelstrom mission with various set ups all using the main rulebook unless otherwise noted.

The "Green Room": Strategies and Tactica of the Dark Angels:

+ Prot's Az'Eke Bomb Drop Pod Tactica + >Link to Article and Batreps<

This is a hot link to my Tactica on using the Az'eke Bomb strategy in 7th edition 40k. it includes Batreps using variations of this list.

+ Ravenwing Tactica in 7th Edition + >Link to Article<

I attempt to stat a Ravenwing Tactica discussion. There's quite a breakdown here of things to consider, but it could still use a bit of help from the forum. I played Ravenwing almost exclusively in 6th, and still do so in 7th but not as often as I prefer mixing it up now.

+ A Logical Discussion Comparing the Dark Angels Codex Vs. the Space Marine Codex in 7th edition+ >Link to Discussion<

This thread could have went either way, but I found it to be a great resource when all was said and done. It goes to show the different experiences brought to the table when discussing our shortcomings and advantages compared to our Astartes Brothers.

Batreps (usually includes photos):

+ Three for One! Three Az'eke Bomb Batreps (relisted from the strategy Tactica Above)+ >Link<

These are the three batreps used for the article in the Az'eke bomb post. All at 1850, vs different opponents, in Maelstrom with pictures.

+ Belial Based Foot List Vs. Nids + >Link to Batrep<

An incredibly close game. Belial is challenged like never before in a deathmatch with the omnipotent Swarmlord!

+ Belial Leads a Multi-wing Force Against a Misguided Astra Militarum + >Link to Batrep<

A difficult match up for heavy infantry based lists, but the Emperor favours the bold.

+ Deathwing w/Dual Landraiders Vs. Tau + >Link to Batrep<

A very difficult army to beat in 7th. NOTE: No pictures (sorry!). This is one of my first attempts at dual LR in Dark Angels.

+ Az'eke Bomb 2.0 vs Bugtown+ >Link to Batrep<

Yet another Az'eke Bomb based batrep Vs the dirty bugs with pics as usual.

Pictures, Fiction, WIP's,etc.

+ Dark Shroud + Complete + >Link to Pictures<

+ Deathwing Terminators: Squad1 + Complete + >Link to Pictures<

+ Dark Angels Veteran Squad1 + Complete + >Link to Pictures<

+ Balthasar (Counts as Azrael) + Complete + <Link to Pictures<

+ Turmeil (Counts as Ezekeil) +Complete+ <Link to Pictures>

Misc Articles and Reviews

+ A new chapter in 7th edition+: A quick shot of my LE Codex: +Link+

Edited by Prot

Thanks guys!

It's a case where I was sick of everything I was doing be disjointed and all over the place. Especially the finished figs. Speaking of which I decided to try to take some better photos of some stuff and repost them here. So those are going to trickle in starting with....

The Dark Shroud:

med_gallery_2760_9530_167408.jpg

gallery_2760_9530_214479.jpg

And somebody asked for a close up of the Relic:

gallery_2760_9530_123750.jpg

Thank you.

The statue and the stained glass.... the stained glass was two airbrush shots. Using a baby blue, with white, and then again with more white. After it dried I used a drop of blue, and a drop of green wash VERY watered down and put it in the resecess of the window panes. I took a watered down white, and lightly dry brushed the centers of the window panes so they were brightest. Finally, the frame of the panes were done with metallics.

The statues... man those were a pain in the throne. I used this sort of blue green colour... Citadel but I can't remember the name. I diluted it with water and white paint and created a very light mixture out of it and washed all the statues with it. I did about 2-3 coats like that.

I needed more of a 3-D effect so I took a white/jade mix of paints and watered it down so it had the consistency of milk and highlighted the statues with it.

Quite honestly I just kept going until it looked right to me. It probably took me 2-3 nights to finish the statues alone because I just wasn't happy until I figured out this mix of paints. Sorry my description probably sucks but it truly was a trial and error thing over several hours.

Very nice. I really like the bases. You have a good eye for detail.

Thanks a ton for the compliments. I really appreciate it.

I dug up the vets which were almost a 'fail' for me during the last painting challenge. I refused to move past the details and I almost blew the deadline as a result. ;)

gallery_2760_9530_137956.jpg

Another shot with more... Balthasar (pics of him coming soon)

med_gallery_2760_9530_131116.jpg

The guy in the lower left corner of this shot is actually based on a good friend of mine. We play often. So I decided to make that vet look as much like him as possible (minus the super human qualities of course!). It is surprising how much it looks like him... and I named him after my friend.

So everytime we play, and I'm using the vets, I put that guy out front. Everytime he kills a vet, I make sure his likeness dies first. And I wave that corpse in front of him, usually saying, "Ha, you killed yourself again!" I'm really mature that way. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, not much action on the vets I see but thanks for the likes. I live to serve and all of that good Imperial stuff...

So I've suffered some serious burn out from painting Crimson Slaughter, and Dark Angels pretty much continuously but one thing I've been dying to finish was Balthasar and I'm just going to make this post to give you guys the finished look. He probably doesn't look too much different from my preview pics but I assure in person he looks a bit better than my crappy phone camera shows and I'm very proud of him. It's been a long time since I took my time when painting a character (It feels like I've rushed my last 203 armies)

I really blew these up to show the line work I spent so long on... perhaps fueling my burnout. lol

gallery_2760_9530_103943.jpg

gallery_2760_9530_17936.jpg

gallery_2760_9530_107071.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I think both the vets and Balthasar are excellent. The work on the latter's sword is particularly impressive. I've not tried that effect yet and I may well give it a go on one of my Balthasar models.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after some petty delay tactics, I got around to painting up Turmeil. I of course use him as my WYSIWYG Ezekeil because I prefer this fig.

He truly was fun to paint and the shade of blue kind of brought me back to my Crimson Fists days. Also I am constantly reminded of just how good those 2 player plastics are. I see no need for Finecast with the level of detail in these box set characters.

Please have a look:

gallery_2760_9530_89957.jpg

med_gallery_2760_9530_109035.jpg

med_gallery_2760_9530_77066.jpg

And some super close ups of.... the Sword Arm:

med_gallery_2760_9530_83329.jpg

And the head:

gallery_2760_9530_4521.jpg

"Look into my glowing hand and tell me ALL that you are.... and your sister's phone number..."

Thanks for looking!

Thanks a lot for the compliments guys. It's really motivating.

great idea to swap the backpack with the DV Sargent's backpack.   

Wish I would of  thought of that!  

I think it looks way better on the Librarian.  

Great catch!  I actually forgot where I got that backpack. lol

A long time ago I grabbed up that back pack and thought it was a better choice for the libby (I love the broken sword in the back of the backpack as well.)