We Were Angels No More: Tac Squad 2 progress + Inquisitor!

SlangWhanger

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/13/713435_sm-Flesh%20Tearers%2C%20Flesh%20Tearers.jpg

"The Flesh Tearers? The ones which seem to know no excess? The ones that seem that seem intent on constant violence and bloodshed, craving massacre of both friend and foe? The ones who should have been declared Heretics aeons ago? Aye, I know the Flesh Tearers: the Imperium would be but a shell without them."

Chaplain Mon'hui of the White Scars Tulwar Brotherhood

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Strike Force Razorwind starts here, but there is more Flesh Tearers goodness and conversions before hand

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having recently started to collect the notorious Flesh Tearers, I will be aiming to create a whole Company of them over the next year or so, based a few centuries after the Horus Heresy and just before Amit's death. I am trying to make them as fluffy (as in sticking to the canon, not furry...) as possible, which leads me to my first question: which company do I collect! I have a few ideas, but it would be interesting to hear what others have to say:

- 1st Company: I'll be doing these guys anyway...

- 2nd Company have a yellow blood drop which could look cool, or out of place...

- 3rd Company is the traditional Flesh Tearers army as they have a red blood drop over their squad insignia. They also have this colour on their vehicles, but I don't think it would work as well on a red tank...

- 4th Company would be good to do as green is currently my spot colour, but I can't seem to source green blod drops!

- 5th Company has a black drop, which would be disguised on the black shoulder pads...

How the markings work:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/13/713436_sm-Flesh%20Tearers%20markings.jpg

So, thoughts. What Company would YOU most like to see? And if anyone knows where to get green blood drops, shout!

Pics of current models should be following soon, and for those of you interested in Amit... yeah, I haven't finished him yet...

Wasn't Nassir Amit the Captain of the 5h Company?  Or are you just going with a company and using him as the Chapter Master?

If the latter is the case, I think you can't go wrong with either red or black (3rd or 5th).  If you choose to do black, you could swap out the shoulder pad inside color for red or white, or place the blood drop within the unit type icon as they show in the pic above (ie. black drop inside Tactical, Assault, Devastator, etc. symbol).  I'd hesitate to use green (4th company) as it would clash quite a bit and look very gaudy on large models.  Yellow (2nd company) is ok, but I think you could sneak by with gold instead and that would be cool.

@ Vel'Cona - he was captain of the Blood Angels Fifth Company, which was turned into the Flesh Tearers Chapter which he became Master of. So yeah, he'll be my Chapter master running around with some Termis! I also like the idea of inverting the Pauldron colours for the black drop. Unfortunately putting it inside the symbol won't work with the devastator triangle (and possibly the Assault marine symbol too). I've just been looking at green markings on Blood Angels and think I agree, in excess it can be a bit too much...

@ Ovidius - that razorback looks cool, and green in small quantities can work well (it is my spot colour after all!).

I think i'll do the Third Company, as the red just WORKS with Flesh Tearers. I will probably do a mock up of the different company shoulder pads though over the weekend to get a feel.

And first few pics will be deepstriking in soon...

After the heresy, there were probably a full 10 companies, so you don't have to limit yourself there - they were a full chapter, remember.

In M.41, there are only four companies (2 - 5), which are larger than a standard marine company, with the roles of the first and tenth companies being merged into standard battle companies.

Yellow drops are available as transfers, while green or red are easy to paint :)

Yeah, I thought about doing the Eighth Reserve company with just Assault marines, but i love Tacs too much! Or I could make the full chapter!

I've got hold of red, black, and yellow drop transfers and will be painting green if I go that route. Will be testing these out later!

Your wish is my demand! biggrin.png Just finished up the test shoulder pads and Amit's head arrived, so it's time for an update!
Head and Shoulders

First up, the pauldrons. Black really didn't show up, so I just did 2-4. The green is also a little dark here as I painted it on in too dark a shade. The other two transfers are also slightly transparent, but this will be fixed, and they haven't received a coat of matte varnish yet either. Phew, onto the photos!

WiP pauldrons

I think I prefer the red right now, so will be going with the Third Company.
And a (poor quality) photo of Amit's head. I promise, that unfocused black blob is his head! I just needed a photo to make the silly title work... laugh.png

Amit's head...

And more work done on the beast himself! Just details to touch up now and washes to be applied to the red!

Nassir Amit WiP

I'll see if I an sort out some snaps of the rest of the army, but no promises yet...

Thanks mate! Another update!

Amit's body is (virtually) finished. I need to get a micro pen to do some script work and I am considering battle damage (I don't want to ruin a model that has taken AGES to paint!!)

Anyhooo:

Nassir Amit WiP body

Actually, the eagle looks a bit flat so I'll do some more work on that too....

Working on the head right now so should get that done later, then need to finish the base. He's starting to take shape now!

Thanks guys! And I can now say he is done!

Nassir Amit, the Flesh Tearer, Chapter Master of the Flesh Tearers

Nassir Amit

Nassir Amit

Nassir Amit

Nassir Amit

Nassir Amit

So that's him finally done. I may play around with the base a bit more as it feels a bit bland imho. Just debating between snow or static grass. Also the first time I've tried to do eyes on a mini! Not too disappointed with the result, but faces in general are something I want to improve on.

Second character will be showing tomorrow along with some fluff for him, so be sure to watch out...

I love this forum. ^_^

I recently moved here from Dakka, because I find the community generally so much more friendly!

I should probably start getting on with my ETL vow of Terminators, but I am also planning my own version of ++REDACTED++ for fun... but more on that later!

I think static grass will POP more on the grey base and will fit better with most game boards, so I'll do that. I'm also saving my snow for some winter Tau (which at this rate won't even see any PAINT!).

Thanks for all the kind remarks guys! It was really fun model to work on and I'm glad it came out how I hoped.

I managed to get in a game with him yesterday, using Captain stats with a Chainfist and Stormbolter. Was a fun game against a cool infantry heavy Salamanders list, which I just won 13-11 after 7 turns. Deep struck the Captain with a bunch of termis and a TDA Libby, so Quickened him for extra lulz! Librarian was a TOTAL flounce yet again, wounding himself with his combi-plasma then rolling double ones in a challenge when he needed twos to wound, with Force! Only had Amit and a Heavy Bolter tac marine left at the end against ~25 Marines but managed to hold it! It seemed like my dice were all over the place though, with some REALLY lucky rolls, but also so many Snake's Eyes!

Anyway, enough words! Here is a picture of my Astorath counts-as, finished a while ago and originally posted over on Dakka:

Flesh Tearers Astorath conversio

Flesh Tearers Astorath conversion

Xerigor, High Warden of the Flesh Tearers and Master of Liturgies

During the Horus Heresy, Warden Xerigor served with the Blood Angels First Company, and was reputed for his rousing sermons and ability to sow pure hatred amongst his vassals. His skill was not missed, and during the division of the IX Legion he was assigned as a Chaplain to the Blood Angels Chapter. However, Amit had other plans for his future. Recognising the Warden's innate control over the men he commanded and the fury and rage that he kindled amongst them, the Flesh Tearer knew he wanted such a warrior in his ranks. Thus a request was sent for Xerigor to be transferred to the Flesh Tearers Chapter. Xerigor refused, swearing an oath never to be a Chaplain of the Flesh Tearers.

But Amit was resolute, and he undertook actions so drastic that not only were they utterly uncharacteristic, but also shaped the future itself. Amit himself went, unarmoured, to the Warden's chambers and fell to his knees, requesting face to face a change of decision. At first Xerigor was derisive, his mind set on staying with his parent Chapter. But something about the personal visit of a warrior so mighty and the utter dedication he showed towards his Chapter struck something deep within the Warden. The Flesh Tearers Chapter was not a place of savagery, but a place of Brotherhood and devotion to the cause and each other. But above all, it was a place where Xerigor would see his actions having a clear impact on the Astartes fighting with him and the Imperium at large. Thus, whilst sticking by his previous oath, he kept his title of Warden as well as taking that of Master of Liturgies, and subsequently joined the ranks of the Flesh Tearers. As more and more Brothers fell to the Black Rage, it was Xerigor who kept them under control and was able to curb their madness, harnessing it, and turning it into a destructive force that carved a bloody path across the Imperium.

The records only state that Xerigor had a change of heart, and nothing of the fateful event that caused it. Upon his official induction into the Chapter, the newly established High Warden was presented with the delicately wrought chainaxe Calailthon, designed with the sole purpose of executing mankind's enemies. But there was never anything between the two great warriors; no sign of fraternity or friendship of any kind, only a deep, grudging respect for each other both on and off the battlefield.

Just a fun and simple kitbash using loads of random bits. Also deadly on the table: I felt lost without him yesterday with the Death Company not having those re-rolls!

Edited to add fluff.

• 2 weeks later...

After a week and a half of holidaying I have returned to the hobby!

I'm starting to feel like a little bird, flitting from one project to the next! I need to finish my ETL pledge!

Anyway, my latest distraction: a kitbashed Cypher counts-as, just because the character and modelling opportunities are so great. He is built from a plethora of bitz: standard Tac. legs (I think); Death Company torso and head; biker arms; various pistols; Marneus Calgar's sword (left over from the Amit conversion). I've started to glue him together and make a scenic base, but I don't think he'll see paint soon as I need to finish my ETL vow!

Without further blarb:

Front

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/6/4/718917_sm-BA%20Cypher%20kitbash.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/6/4/718918_sm-BA%20Cypher%20kitbash.jpg

I've changed the backpack and position of the sword, only slightly, to make it a tad less clunky.

Also, a cookie to whoever works out the 'inspiration' for this pose!

Archived