Sons of Dolor 1st Company (BA Sucessor) WIP (Update)

our_baz

Hello Brothers this is my first topic in the BA Forum, you usually find me floating around the Guard Barracks or Sallies Forum. Please be gentle

This is my first attempt at a DIY Chapter. The Rage to Salvation event has helped me kick the project off. This is going to be one of my Bucket list projects. I've always wanted to attempt modelling a Full First Company and this is going to be my attempt. Always liked the back story of the BA, gifted yet so cursed. Hence my running of a DIY BA successor chapter

Small bit of Chapter Fluff (Will add to this over time)

The Sons of Dolor are a successor chapter of the Blood Angels, of unknown founding. The homeworld is the planet of Tyris which is located in the Segmentum Pacificus. The Son of Dolor share the same genetic fate of there sire chapter being cursed with both the Red Thirst and Black Rage. However a further unusual trait is observed within marines from the chapter. All marines suffer from Stigmata wounds similar to those inflicted upon Sanguinius by the arch traitor Horus. Further unusual traits include the chapters marines weeping blood from their eyes. This results in the marines never showing their faces to those outside the chapter for fear of being branded as warp tainted.

So I've picked up the Deathstorm box set and couple of other bits and started cracking on.

The first two completed models are below.
gallery_72518_11275_615729.jpg

gallery_72518_11275_493844.jpg

Also assembled my First Captain (via a quick Kit bash of Cpt Karlen): Cpt Daeron.

gallery_72518_11275_166862.jpg

gallery_72518_11275_26994.jpg

Kit bashed some PA vets.
gallery_72518_11275_185693.jpg

Finally also got prepped Chaplain Baelor and Sanguinary Priest Rhaegel

gallery_72518_11275_254040.jpg

Apologies for the photo dump. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this kicking over without getting too distracted by other projects.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Baz Edited by our_baz

First off, those models look awesome! Really great stuff. Even the unpainted models look brilliant!

As for the chapter fluff, it seems good, the stigmata are interesting. Do you have any idea yet why they exhibit the wounds or are you planning on leaving that unknown? It's definitely piqued my interest.

I like the colour scheme, too. I would fret about the white, but you seem to have that more than under control! :)

Looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of

Edited by Sir Perfluous

Thanks for positive feedback guys.

As for the chapter fluff, it seems good, the stigmata are interesting. Do you have any idea yet why they exhibit the wounds or are you planning on leaving that unknown? It's definitely piqued my interest.

I see the Stigmata as a further degeneration of the gene seed. My thoughts are the signs are further manifestation of the psychic backlash from the death of Sanguinius, you have the mental scaring in the form of the black rage. I also like the idea of a physical scaring as well in the form of stigmata and bleeding from the eyes.

It would be cool if the stigmata was a reflection of Sanguinius' physical wounds at the hands of Horus.

That's what stigmata are :)

In the real world, people manifesting the wounds of Jesus of Nazareth, marks on the hands and feet etc.

Really smart scheme you have there, is the termie the same as a tactical marine, scheme wise? Using anything to differentiate veterans, etc?

The scheme would be the same for both tac and TDA marines. The chapter use either TDA / plumes to designate vet status, not too sure yet how to designate Sgt rank yet. Thinking either stripe/colour change on plume or different colour helemt. As my palette is limited will probably be either be black / bone. 

Introducing Brother Codicer Vaegon.

This model initially wasn't destined for this project. Did this kit bash approx 6 years ago, was initially earmarked as a Sallies librarian. Well basically forgot about the model til last weekend, decided it didn't feel all that sallie, but the emblem on the shoulder guard will look like the chapter badge once painted. So he got conscripted into the Sons of Dolor

gallery_72518_11275_149271.jpg

Edited by our_baz

Small update to Brother Vaegon. Armour needs a touch up and blue "tear" needs sorting.

Lacking inspiration for the halberd however, any thoughts appreciated, or CC welcome too.

gallery_72518_11275_536717.jpg

Edited by our_baz

That Librarian looks pretty cool! what parts/model went into making him (besides the grey knight halberd of course)

not much to be honest. Body is master of the fleet, head old tac squad, and the collar from dark elf corsairs cloak. Not the most impressive kit bash you'll see on these pages, but in my defence it was one of my first.

• 6 months later...

Long time no update this is to be rectified. Finished a couple of models prior to ETL that I thought I would share.

Another TDA, nothing special really I've just decided to make the oath seals blue rather than red from now on.

gallery_72518_11275_334931.jpg

Also completed a Vet in PA. Generally happy with the look just not thrilled. I think it looks too busy in terms of colours(?).

You can also see what I've tried to achieve with the the chapter badge, Winged teardrop. Interested to hear any thoughts.

gallery_72518_11275_244246.jpg

gallery_72518_11275_118497.jpg

gallery_72518_11275_78067.jpg

Best of luck to you guys in the ETL

Edited by our_baz

You're guys look great, and your white is awesome.

I would Wash that shoulder and then dry brush on the highest points some metallics to give it the impression of a shine. If do that on the leg bracelet and other gold bits too.

But it's awesome already, so it's your call! :)