Unit of the week I - Exorcist

Unit of the week II - Imolator

Welcome to unit of the week III - Repentia! happy.png

I recently bought nine Repentia with a Mistress, and I admit, I have no idea on the best way of using them. I still have to get a Rhino to transport them (and also strip the paint and start again as the previous owners painted them in a scheme I don't want), but I really don't know the best way of using them in a game. I realise that many seasoned players might state that they aren't a viable unit (I've heard as much), but as ever in these topics, I'd like discussion on ideas of making them useful. I like the idea of Repentia. What would it take for a Sister, a dedicated warrior with unbending Faith in Him on Earth to abandon their position, their physical armour (one might say that a Sister is always armoured with their Faith msn-wink.gif ) and join others? What kind of sin or crime (self perceived or otherwise) would drive them to do it?

I love fielding Repentia, I just feel their current rules hurt rather than help them.

That said they can rip apart just about anything you aim them at in the assault phase, the problem is getting them there.

I love fielding Repentia, I just feel their current rules hurt rather than help them.

That said they can rip apart just about anything you aim them at in the assault phase, the problem is getting them there.

That's the general consensus I've heard - getting them to where they'll do the damage sad.png I'm not sure a Rhino will do the job and I don't want to ally to get drop pods (Sisters only! *shakes fist* )

Bring a stormwolf! You get to drop them off then gun down all the fools in a flying box :D

I used Repentia for the first time in a long time last week. I ran my Battle Pope (counts-as Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in TDA) 3 Priests, and x7 Repentia and a Mistress in a Land Raider Crusader.

The "Battle Pope" tanked the overwatch and smeared the enemy warlord in a challenge, then the Repentia rolled an avalanche of attacks and drowned the enemy in their own blood.

It's basically an extra expensive Battle Conclave type unit. It hits super hard but, while it was impressive to see them in action, ultimately I lost the game on Objective Points because the size of the game was too small to adequately support such a high cost unit. I think a list probably needs to be 1850 or higher to support them.

I used Repentia for the first time in a long time last week. I ran my Battle Pope (counts-as Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in TDA) 3 Priests, and x7 Repentia and a Mistress in a Land Raider Crusader.

The "Battle Pope" tanked the overwatch and smeared the enemy warlord in a challenge, then the Repentia rolled an avalanche of attacks and drowned the enemy in their own blood.

It's basically an extra expensive Battle Conclave type unit. It hits super hard but, while it was impressive to see them in action, ultimately I lost the game on Objective Points because the size of the game was too small to adequately support such a high cost unit. I think a list probably needs to be 1850 or higher to support them.

That's interesting - so it's possible to get the best out of them, but to do it, it's better to have them for larger games. Something I definitely need to bear in mind.

I asked about this a while ago. Here's the thread I'll. I'm on mobile so I can't do a real link.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/315354-how-to-field-repentia-help/

What I took away was if you aren't using allies they should be footslogging, preferably with jacobus, in a max size squad. Another idea was to use them as a reactionary unit: hiding in cover till the enemy comes to them.

I've only run my squad a couple times, and jacobus seems like a good investment. If you don't want to use jacobus remember they have fleet!

I would just have the mistress soak up as many wounds as possible since her weapons are so different from the rest of the squad she's not so useful. Plus she has armour.

I still detest the models, but they are an interesting unit.

I rarely use them outside Kill Team, when when I do, it's also generally one of the few times I run Saint Celestine.

I like to stick her in front of the unit to tank for them, with other approaches blocked off by rhino hulls.

It's mostly been covered already but in the unlikely event it's not sunk in from their stats anyway I'll reiterate foot-slogging them up the board is unwise. Shield them with LOS blockers or hide them in an ideally Assault vehicle (though this is costly of course) if you want to use them as an attacking unit. Personally I think they work best behind your lines as a reserve. That should keep them safer from being shot to bits and any opponent attempting to get his melee units in amongst your Sisters will think twice with a squad of Repentia ready to counter-charge.

Run three full units in Rhinos and push them up flat-out 18" on the first turn.

Disembark on the second. Any that survive will rip up whatever on the third. Did you know that, statistically, a min group of Repentia can destroy a Leman Russ squadron of 3 in a single assault phase?

If none survive, the rest of your army will be intact.

IMO, keeping them "safe" until they make it into assault is too reactionary for an army like Sisters. Make the opponent react to what you are doing.

Just saw that the new Wulfen got a buffed version of the Repentia's old Act of Faith as a special rule.

So it looks like we're still the testing ground for rules given to other armies.

Nah, that's not fair - Tyranids had that rule first (Catalyst psychic power in 3rd edition).

You'd have to share that one with me, I've never seen that powers list.

I've just added them to my tournament list and they're doing okay, but the key thing to make them work without allies is to have multiple threats. They're the most expensive of our cc units to make work, but they're also the most potentially killy.

I think they work best in higher point games alongside other units or in lower point games were people struggle to kill them all... Even one repentia is scary after all. A tank in front like Celestine can do a great job in keeping them alive, and I always run them on foot so I can charge turn 1 if needed.

I've tried using Rhinos for them but honestly I feel you're burning too many turns and any potential threat when using them that way.

Allies have the most to offer with landraiders, Repentia can kill pretty much anything in the game that isn't flying so they actually pair well with the vehicle... people won't want to draw close and if it's Iron Hands, you're way more survivable from range too. The drawback is this is VERY expensive, and by this point you're building a list around them.

As a vehicle option, we also have FW Repressor. Better armor, though no assault ramp. While I don't have any, they do seem like an investment - either points or multiple units + delivery. With all of the deathstars about, IK, super squadrons etc, I can see a squad starting on foot. Keep out of LOS, duck-and-weave your way up, or wait for the deepstrikers and tear them up. Like said above, you only need one to survive to rip-tear. Though, if you only need one evicerator, just give it to a Sister Superior. I guess that last part, though I do like the models, combined with the fluff (of which I'm not too keen on), make it easy for me to take a pass.

Archived