Can we stop with the multiple news threads?

Joe

I wouldn't gripe about this usually, but it's getting a bit obscene now; multiple Gathering Storm threads, multiple Dawn of War threads, multiple "here's what I think is coming but I have no actual proof beyond my earwax sculpture" threads, and so on. It's... it's frustrating. It's idiotic. It's borderline spam half the time. 

I don't know. I love the N&R forum, but I feel like a significant change in how it's managed is needed; at the very least, forcing non-B&C related conversation into a handful of dedicated threads (rumours, leaks, upcoming releases, whatever). All it takes is for one user/moderator to update the title with the page number for the most recent release.

It's cluttered, basically. And it's sort of ugly seeing so many locked threads in there.

There are three Gathering Storm threads (one for each book) and there are two Dawn of War threads, one of which is inactive.

If people come across a rumour which is unrelated to something on the board, they post a new thread. If it turns out to have already been covered, it gets merged.

Threads get locked past release date as they no longer conform to the rules for that forum. They also get locked if they devolve into off topic chatter which is often due to no further rumour being found. There's only so much chaff one can wade through after all.

Well it doesn't help that every single time any item in the range goes out of stock somebody posts that as a rumour...

Which either gets closed down or moved to a relevant Faction fora. It's only folk trying to be helpful after all.

There's nothing helpful about it; it's spam. It's ill conceived at best. They'd be better served waiting to see what Geedub's response is on social media, then sharing that. I'm pretty sure we had an argument over the various different phrases they use on the website at one stage.

Three Gathering Storm threads is two too many. It's one ongoing event that, as far as we can tell, is coming to a climax in the third book. Having three separate threads that will barely last a month to two months at most is unnecessary.

I disagree, for this example. Each of the Gathering Storm books has, so far, catered to quite different audiences, with very different plot points. That will most likely continue.

Furthermore, seeing as 2 books have been leaked at the same time, and feature very different factions, having 2 threads stops unnecessary confusion.

What I don't like is that for Gathering Storm 1 (and 2 at one point), there was a thread for just the models, and one for the whole book, and both discussed the same things anyway. That was unnecessary imo.

As Jolemai says, sometimes people post things that aren't actually rumours, such as when a model goes out of stock, but the mods are usually quick to rectify any issues.

Each topic serves as a place to discuss a particular rumour. Ideally they should be separated into more specific ones for better scope, but this isn't always immediately possible due to the nature of rumours for example. If you're not interested in a particular topic it shouldn't be an issue to ignore it ;)

If you spot a topic that may not be necessary or is going off topic you can use the Report function to bring it to a mod's attention.

On the subject of Gathering Storm, I think 3 threads for the different release waves is appropriate given that the book content and models in each have quite different focuses. That said, I do wish we could get updated thread titles with page references to the latest actual content, rather than having to wade through 30+ pages of nonsense to find it.

Which either gets closed down or moved to a relevant Faction fora. It's only folk trying to be helpful after all.

If it was posted initially in subfora as "Hey guys, this is out of stock what do you think this means" then that'd be fair enough, but it often isn't, it's baseless (and highly fantastical) speculation. Look at the recent Tzeentch Daemons stuff. "Oh i bet we're getting a new Burning Chariot kit" etc. It was clearly a reboxing exercise and that's exactly what it turned out to be. I understand that rumours by their very nature are not verifiable but taking literally any change in stock level at GW and turning that in to a rumour thread is just spamming a forum which is already quite cluttered.

I mean, I got my order for a Start Collecting Tzeentch box cancelled by a third party seller because GW didn't have enough copies to fulfill their stock order. Is that newsworthy? Do I need to be making a rumour thread for that? 

Updating the OP is really the onus of the thread starter.

Is it possible that threads are started because of a need to "be the first"?  It's a rhetorical question, yet gets to a point of view for why certain topics get posted, leading to the follow-up.

And let's be real about the many pages of chat: we all have a desire (need?) to comment on that thing.  It's the internet and here, behind our avatars, is a place to have a voice over ... anything ^_^

And let's be real about the many pages of chat: we all have a desire (need?) to comment on that thing. It's the internet and here, behind our avatars, is a place to have a voice over ... anything happy.png

I appreciate that, but it can make navigating to the "good stuff" troublesome!

News and Rumors is what people make of it. Yes, I'm being totally serious. If people don't want to see certain types of topics, then make sure you don't post in them. Posting to voice displeasure in a thread keeps it moving on the front page. Death by obscurity is only achieved by no one saying anything about it. Every time someone posts "I don't believe", it keeps the topic in everyone's face to comment on.

My personal suggestion is to make ample use of the Follow function, and only follow those threads you really care about the content of, ignore anything else posted in N&R. If you get a page or two of things you think are "no content" posts, stop following the thread. Be selective of what threads you poke your head into and decide if you are going to post, and if you do, make sure it's something you really want to keep the conversation going about.

I do appreciate the fact that the news threads are so broadly broken out. It helps keep me keep abreast of the factions/books/news that I am interested in without having to wade through a great deal of information in which I am not interested.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but removing the "like" feature from N&R would probably help ease the race to be the first to post a N&R item, and maybe also help lessen a lot of the meme-y spam posts that the more popular threads get filled with.

I also think that the thread's OP needs to be updated as new elements come to light; new people joining the thread with an opening comment along the lines of "I haven't read the last 27 pages, but -" gum up the real content even further, as do "I'm calling blahblah now -" posts.

I agree that (within reason) people should be allowed to post in the N&R threads though - they are exciting for most people afterall.

As Race Bannon has mentioned, we do not have the people or, let's be honest, the motivation to be the ones who would update the first posts for everyone. It has happened a few times in the past but those were definitely exceptions to test the idea out (in my case).

That change would be very welcome but it has to come from the people who frequent the N&R section.

With regards to removing the "like" function, it's a good point which uncovers a rather sad reality. Perhaps it's something our new Admin could put into place. :tu:

Archived