Chaos Terminators in 8th - The time has come?

Phenatix

Hey guys, I was looking through some of the leaks and decided to take a gander over at Terminators. I've always loved the models, and with the upgrade to 2 wounds and deepstriking where you want, when you want, I think this might be their edition to shine.

I went through their various weapon options and made some charts vs various targets. I included at the bottom combined results showing what a round of shooting followed by charging in would get you.

906fb7c5ef.png

I hope this info can spark some discussions and get people thinking about different options for these guys!

Very cool data! Thanks for sharing.

If any time was the time for terminators in the past 3 editions (my time playing), it's now. I've got plans to use 2 units regularly in a list, combi-meltas, axes, a chainfist, and an Icon of Wrath. Might as well get a 2nd chance at those long charges. Won't work often, but sometimes it will, and they will wreck some face.

Yeah the combi-melta + chainfist setup is very expensive, but so potent. It absolutely shreds everything, especially higher toughness multiwound models. Combi-plasma + lightning claw is pretty decent for hunting infantry though, since your second target might not decide to stick around within 12" after what happens to the first unit you plop down next to...

Very nice job! I'll miss the odds of melta+power weapons tho.

Mine are going to be armed with 5 combi-melta (or maybe 4 and a heavy flamer, but that's your falt :P ) and a chainfist or two, plus power weapons.

Thanks for the chart, this will be added to the resoruce topic soon :D

​Always supported Terminators & always had a unit as part of my core list over the years.  Don't forget, having a Chaos Lord near by help out with those over heating "super" Plasma shots.  Unless your me, that re-roll most like not going to help........ :(

I have 15 Tartaros Terminators to build, so this is quite interesting and appropriate! I'm thinking of sprinkling combi-weapons and lightning claws/power fists as the standard build, probably one squad with a heavy flamer one with a reaper and perhaps the third squad built to smash faces? Shame Chaos can't take squads as 3+ any more, but maybe that will return when we get the proper codex?

Great data and insight. I think if you throw another couple columns for how many wounds the enemy model has(capping the damage a weapon can do) and pivot on that...you can get a little more granular on the the efficiency stat. For example, the extra damage dealt by a chainfist doesn't ever do more than 1 damage versus 1 wound models. Obviously, you can omit cols for 1 wound T8 models or 3++..stuff like that.

We're also missing one other thing here: Warp Time. Sure, we can use it on Warp Talons and Raptors too, but Termies benefit massively as well, while allowing for other Icons than Khorne.

This is all happening turn 1:

• Teleport in Terminators (and/or keep a Sorcerer within 3") 9.1" from the enemy.
  • Cast Warp Time on said Terminators.
  • Move Terminators 5" towards nearest enemy, bringing them within 4.1 of the enemy, requiring only a 4 on the charge to get within 1" of an enemy model for the successful charge.
  • PROFIT/DEAD LOYALISTS

Sure, Warp Time can be used to guarantee a successful turn 1 charge with a Sorcerer w/Jump Pack and Warp Talons/Raptors, but let's face it: Terminators wreck face.

Great data and insight. I think if you throw another couple columns for how many wounds the enemy model has(capping the damage a weapon can do) and pivot on that...you can get a little more granular on the the efficiency stat. For example, the extra damage dealt by a chainfist doesn't ever do more than 1 damage versus 1 wound models. Obviously, you can omit cols for 1 wound T8 models or 3++..stuff like that.

I actually included that. On the targets T4/Sv2+5++ and higher, I considered the target multiwound. If the weapon did D6 damage (melta only) I capped it at 2 since that won't spill over and you will be getting kills on terminators on 2+ for damage.

I actually included that. On the targets T4/Sv2+5++ and higher, I considered the target multiwound. If the weapon did D6 damage (melta only) I capped it at 2 since that won't spill over and you will be getting kills on terminators on 2+ for damage.
Sweet! Awesome job man! You've inspired me to make some of my own math hammer sheets. Thanks

The more I stare at the chaos index, the more I'm tempted to sell my blood angels and play a chaos terminator army. The fist on loyalist terminators is overcosted imo, so for the cost of a bolter/fist terminator you can get a chaos special weapon + axe terminator!

I knew putting chain fists on my combi-meltas was a bad idea points wise lol. Oh well will make a combi plasma with power axe squad and a combi flamer with PF squad (got something like 20 termies to build lol

Archived