++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

http://i.imgur.com/DIOtlEV.png

A BnC event RETURNS

Like its first incarnation, Augustus' Arena is a Bolter & Chainsword event wherein Frater challenge each other in brotherly fashion. The August Arena II will see true 1vs1 challenges (a development after the first incarnation in 2015). A 'challenge' between two frater should be understood as a team-up of two frater, who promise each other to build and paint a similar unit or single miniature you they want to finish. Both challengers paint their miniatures to the best of their ability before a self-set deadline, with encouragement and positive, constructive feedback from their ‘rival’ challenger.

As such, the event is set up with two goals in mind: 1. to create a positive experience for the challengers, in which fraterpush frater to the best of their abilities, so that in the end of the event, they have a sublime miniature that reflects their utmost. 2. to create and/or strengthen bonds of cameraderie within the Bolter&Chainsword

The idea is to challenge fellow Frater to build, paint and base a single unit -be it a single miniature or a group of miniatures that together create a unit-, that is befitting their army, before one of two deadlines, and to stimulate and inspire your fellow Frater to build units they want to build. 

Challengers act as sponsors to the Frater with whom they share a challenge, offering encouragement, praise, and constructive feedback on their progress and completion. To stimulate Frater to really think about what their brother Frater would like to paint, there is no penalty to declining a challenge. In effect, the challenger-challenged relationship is a kind of buddy system. 

Basic rules 
  • Frater can issue or accept only a single challenge per round.
  • There will be two ‘rounds’ in the Arena. Participants should find another frater to challenge in the second round.
  • The first round of the challenge runs from July 1st to July 31st. First Round Challenges can be issued until July 9th.
  • The second round of the challenge runs from August 1st to August 31st. Second Round Challenges can be issued until August 9th
  • Challenges issued and accepted should be posted in this thread using below-mentioned formats.
  • Challengers should agree on the unit category they wish their challenge to be about - see categories.
  • Each participant shall post at least three pictures: one pre build, one final WIP, and one picture of their completed entry.
  • If one of the challengers completes the challenge within the deadline, they are free to issue/accept further challenges
  • There is no penalty to declining a challenge
  • The event finishes on the date of the last deadline, namely midnight CET on August 31st 2017.

Categories

The units that challengers use should be of similar categories, and ideally (though this should not be applied too strictly) of the same points. Picture that the units you and your challenge buddy will complete during the event will duking it out when they’re finished. :wink: As such, a mutual challengers should pick a category from which to challenge. These are categories based on 7th edition rules, as I am as of yet not familiar enough with 8th's rules to make a clear categorization.

• Character on foot 
  • Mounted Character (bike, jetbike, steeds, cavalry, etc…)
  • Unit of Infantry  (Infantry, Jump infantry, Jet pack infantry, minimum unit size of 5, unless the minimum unit size determined by Codex/Index is less than 5, in which case the codex minimum applies)
  • Unit of bikes, jetbikes, cavalry, steeds, beasts (minimum unit size 3)
  • Monstrous Creatures (Flying Monstrous Creatures, Monstrous Creatures - but actual monsters, no mechanical constructs)
  • Walkers (including mechanical constructs that were ruled to be Monstrous Creatures in 7th)
  • Tanks
  • Flyers
  • Skimmers
  • Chariots

Formal Challenges
Challenges should be issued in this thread, in this format:

I, [name challenger], challenge [name challengee] to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a [general category unit]. I shall bring forth a [specific personal unit] before the deadline of [pick either July 31st or August 31st], 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Challenges should be accepted in this format:

I, [name challenged], accept the challenge set to me by [name challenger], and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a [general category unit]. I shall bring forth a [specific personal unit] before the deadline of [pick either July 31st or August 31st], 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Challenges shall be declined in whatever fashion the Frater deems fit. Note that if you fail to specify your deadline, I will record your challenge as aiming for the nearest deadline.

Participants who are in a challenge should wear the 'CHALLENGED' banner:

Interested?

If you're interested in joining this event and wish to display your willingness to challenge and be challenged, and portray the timezone (30K or 40K) you wish your challenge to be in, as well as your faction) you can put one of the following banners in your siggy. Please mind the 990x100 pixel size restrictions for signatures. 

Dark Imperium (Renegades and Imperials)

http://i.imgur.com/h9RZiiS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/GwCp2Bs.png   http://i.imgur.com/TB1asu4.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rlx7anD.png

Horus Heresy (Traitors & Loyalists)

http://i.imgur.com/nn3356o.jpg http://i.imgur.com/UCs0McE.png   http://i.imgur.com/lPTA9VE.jpg http://i.imgur.com/HgCCUXU.png

If you're already challenged, please put the following in your signature.

Dark Imperium (Renegades and Imperials)

http://i.imgur.com/wWHQjAC.jpg http://i.imgur.com/hPRn0FW.png   http://i.imgur.com/4BGaxFI.jpg http://i.imgur.com/bzkS2NA.png

Horus Heresy (Traitors & Loyalists)

http://i.imgur.com/ZEI2Ayq.jpg http://i.imgur.com/TNTv6Bg.png   http://i.imgur.com/nRoyhsi.jpg http://i.imgur.com/pP3l1o1.png

Consecutive Challenges

It is possible to both issue and accept multiple challenges during the course of the event, under the following conditions:

• You have not been challenged or have not accepted a previous challenge in the event.
  • You have finished your challenge and feel that you can finish another before the next deadline.

Completion banners

Of course, there are badges to be awarded. These will be awarded in the week after the second deadline, most likely in the weekend of September 2nd. When Frater complete both their challenges before the respective deadlines, they are awarded the ‘August Arena VICTOR badge’TM. Multiple completed challenges will earn extra pips on the VICTOR badge.

When Frater fail to complete their challenge before the respective deadline, they must wear the MEA CULPA badge until the end of 018M02 (2017).

In addition, I will be awarding two very subjective banners (and these will not be restricted to single frater):

• Most Supportive Challenger (for the challenger who is the best buddy to his challengee)
  • Most Impressive Unit (for the most impressive unit(s) finished as part of this event)

FAQ

Q: Can challenges be to finish models on which I have already started? 

A: No, they cannot. While the event is meant to produce models from start (unbuilt) to completed (painted and based), I'll allow already built miniatures so long as both parties in a challenge agree their respective entries are on the same level of build.

Q: When I would like to be challenged, would it help if willing prospective challengees posted a list of what minis they have on their 'to do' pile?

A: Better not, as that would probably clot the the thread. Ask yourself "who would I like to challenge" and then contact the Frater beforehand by PM - to make sure they want to embark on the challenge and to see what kind of unit they want to take on. The aim is, after all, also to strengthen bonds between Frater.

Q: I'm a Black Templar/Chaos Space Marine/Space-Marines-with-special-challenge-rules player, can I challenge an entire forum?

A: Nope, that's the staple of the ETL. This event is aimed at challenges between individual Frater. Of course, no-one is stopping you from teaming up with your brothers and each of your team mates challenges a Frater from a rival team. 

Q: Do units in the challenge have to be legal?

A: No! The intent is to finish cool, beautiful, based miniatures. You can accept anything: three plague marines with a heavy bolter, a weird command squad, anything. As long as they look and feel as a 'single unit' and comply with a category.

Q: In which Category does my (insert X miniature) fall?
A: If it isn't clear, PM me or ask in the this thread. I will update at least once every two days.

Q: Why do(es) the miniature(s) have to be based in order to count as completed?

A: Because the age-old hobbyist adage goes "a beautiful base completes a miniature". IN other words, a miniature isn't complete if you haven't completed the base. Also, I like based miniatures :biggrin.:

Q: What happens if I am challenged by multiple Frater?

A: If Frater get two or more challenges, they must first decline the first to accept the second, etc.

Q: Who made those awesome banners and medallions?

A: It was ShVagYeR. He was very generous with his time and open to several revisions. Thanks ShVagYeR! :thumbsup:

Q: Can Xenos play too?
A: Of course! If anything, it'd be awesome to see two mortal enemies facing off!

Q: I wish to build a Xenos miniature. Will there be banners for those too?
A: I have asked ShVagYer, but he is a busy man, and I am dependent on him. :smile.:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND HAVE FUN!!!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Frater willing to join/open to challenges

KingKurama - Declaration

Uprising - Declaration

UNANSWERED CHALLENGES

July 31st Deadline

Brother Chaplain Kage (VS Augustus b'Raass) - Monstrous Creature / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

KBA (VS Soldier of Dorn) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

Soldier of Dorn (VS KBA) - Unit of Infantry /

August 31st Deadline

Andrew Christlieb (VS Trokair) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1

Ashenwyte (VS Brother Cambrius) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 -

Augustus b'Raass (VS Brother Chaplain Kage) - Monstrous Creature / WIP 1 - 2 - 3

Brother-Captain Arkhan (VS Chaplain Dosjetka) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

BubblesMcBub (VS KrautScientist) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3

Chaplain Dosjetka (VS Brother-Captain Arkhan) - Character on Foot / WIP 1

Drac0 (VS Sagentus) - Unit of Infantry

Isengrin (VS MikhalLeNoir) - Character on Foot / WIP 1

Kordhal (VS Vairocanum) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
KrautScientist (VS BubblesMcBub) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 -
Marvin_the_Martian (VS Teetengee) - Infantry Unit / WIP 1 -

MindOfMetal (VS rednekkboss) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1

Sagentus (VS Drac0) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2

Tangamarine (VS Brother Kortmer) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 -

FINISHED

Brother Argent (VS Grotsmasha) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Brother Cambrius (VS Ashenwyte) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

Brother Kortmer (VS Tangamarine )- Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

Dolchiate Remembrancer (VS Tankus Wokus) - Infantry Unit / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Drac0 (VS LameBeard) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

GreyRavenC (VS Varred) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - FINISHED PRODUCT

GreyRavenC (VS The Traitor ) - Character on Foot WIP 1 - 2 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Grotsmasha (VS Brother Argent) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Kordhal (VS The Traitor) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

LameBeard (VS Drac0) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - FINISHED PRODUCT

MindOfMetal VS (Warsmith Uveron) - Infantry Unit / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

MikhalLeNoir (VS Vairocanum) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

MikhalLeNoir (VS Isengrin) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - FINISHED PRODUCT + 1
rednekkboss (VS Sagentus) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

rednekkboss (VS MindOfMetal) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Sagentus (VS rednekkboss)- Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - COMPLETED PRODUCT + 1

Tankus Wokus (VS Dolchiate Remembrancer) - Infantry Unit / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Teetengee (VS Marvin_the_Martian) - Infantry Unit / WIP 1 - FINISHED PRODUCT

The Traitor (VS Kordhal) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT + 1

The Traitor (VS GreyRavenC) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Trokair (VS Andrew Christlieb) - Unit of Infantry / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Trokair (VS Varred) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Vairocanum (VS MikhalLeNoir) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

Vairocanum (VS Kordhal) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Varred (VS GreyRavenC) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Varred (VS Trokair) - Character on Foot / WIP 1 - 2 - 3 - FINISHED PRODUCT

Warsmith Uveron VS (MindOfMetal) - Infantry Unit / WIP 1 - COMPLETED PRODUCT

I, Ashenwyte, challenge Brother Cambrius to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character on Foot . I shall bring forth a Praetor of the Sons of Horus before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I, Teetengee, challenge Marvin_the_Martian to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base an Infantry Unit (minimum size 5). I shall bring forth a team of iron warriors bloodletters before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I, Ashenwyte, challenge Brother Cambrius to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character on Foot . I shall bring forth a Praetor of the Sons of Horus before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

The Challenge is accepted, Brother. :)

Cambrius

, BubblesMcBub challenge KrautScientist to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Mounted Character. I shall bring forth a Iron Warriors Chaos Lord before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02. Edited by BubblesMcBub

I, BCK, challenge Augustus b'Raass to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Greater Daemon of the Warp gods (aka Monstrous Creatures). I shall summon forth unto this Arena a mighty Bloodthirster of Khorne to smite my foe before the deadline of July 31st, 2017. 

http://i.imgur.com/Khqabps.gif

I'll challenge you; depends if you'd prefer characters on foot, infantry, walkers, jetbikes or tanks.

Anything but Jetbikes are possible. I would like to paint things for my Chaos Marines. I cannot recall if I have a Tank ready to paint for them or not.  

I, Teetengee, challenge Marvin_the_Martian to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base an Infantry Unit (minimum size 5). I shall bring forth a team of iron warriors bloodletters before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I, Marving_the_Martian, accept the challenge set to me by Teetengee, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base an Infantry Unit (minimum size 5). I shall bring forth a Blood Angels Intercessor squad before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

​Emperor guide my brush stokes.

I, Marving_the_Martian, accept the challenge set to me by Teetengee, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base an Infantry Unit (minimum size 5). I shall bring forth a Blood Angels Intercessor squad before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

​Emperor guide my brush stokes.

Initial! (Maybe third comp I have vowed them for means I will actually start painting this time....)

http://i.imgur.com/KEkfST2.jpg

Edited by Teetengee

I , the One and Only Rednekkboss, challenge the equally unique Sagentus to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character model/champion. I shall bring forth a Sorceror of Chaos before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Edited by rednekkboss

I, Augustus b'Raass, accept the challenge set to me by Brother Chaplain Kage, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a Monstrous Creature. I shall bring forth a Daemon Prince of Nurgle before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Crap, I do hope GW restocks the finecast Nurgel DP soon, or I'm messed up...

I, Augustus b'Raass, accept the challenge set to me by Brother Chaplain Kage...

Crap, I do hope GW restocks the finecast Nurgle DP soon, or I'm messed up...

That might be a problem. :ohmy.:  Do you have another MC in case you can't get one in time? I mean, you could crank something out in a few days from the time you opened the box until it was painted and based, while I'll probably be working on it the whole month, but still...

Speaking of working on my entry, time for progress pics!

Pre-build condition:

http://i.imgur.com/2Wt3HGt.png

I took that last night not long before going to bed and I've just gotten done on a two hour work session to start reposing this beast of solid pewter. And let me preface this shot of the reposed legs by saying that the new collet set I bought for my Dremel recently that will let me put a 1/16" drill bit in it so I can drill the massive pinning holes in this thing in a matter of seconds is one of the best investments I've made this year. 

http://i.imgur.com/47RntXa.png

Getting the chopped off legs to line back up with the hips the way I wanted them to was the most frustrating and time consuming part of this and the goal I was going for was the legs being able to stand on their own without blue tac. Of course, adding the torso and the new head to see how everything looked and lined up threw it way off balance and blue tac came to the rescue. 

http://i.imgur.com/x8Auo5U.png

The head will be altered to look less crocodilian, including horns and other daemonic stuff, but I've had a Beloved of Sobek figure from Wargods of Aegyptus that I got on clearing from my LGS laying around for years, and while looking through my very limited options for an alternate head in my bitz box, this seemed like a good replacement. :biggrin.:

I'm coming for ya, Augustus, and I'm raising the bar with this conversion! Are you ready, brother?

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I, Grotsmasha, challenge Brother Argent to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character on Foot. I shall bring forth a Dark Angel Company Captain before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Edited by Grotsmasha

@BCK:

First off, that BT looks fricking awesome and the crocodilian head looks absolutely great (I need one too). You should indeed alter it with horns and perhaps a flab of skin where his neck is? Or are you going for a frontal armoured plate (which would make the skin flap impossible). The legs need some posing work, though, if you ask me. It now kinda looks like he's tippy toeing with O-legs. Building up the muscles would partially counter that, but the base pose is crucial to sell it, methinks. 

Great job on the dremel bit, by the way. I did the same thing with my metal BT - and have found that you can drill into the wing stubs almost an entire centimeter with those - which give an excellent way to fasten them to the back. :thumbsup:

About my BT, yeah, this might indeed be a problem. I might just buy the regular finecast Daemon Prince, and alter that. I'm planning on doing disgusting belly like I did on my Nurgle Contemptor years ago, so that'll be fine either way.

In any case:

Its-On-Like-Alderaan.jpg

@BCK:

First off, that BT looks fricking awesome and the crocodilian head looks absolutely great (I need one too). The legs need some posing work, though, if you ask me. It now kinda looks like he's tippy toeing with O-legs. Building up the muscles would partially counter that, but the base pose is crucial to sell it, methinks. 

Not sure what you mean about the O-legs?

So Agustus, the second challenge is a whole year I see, should be pretty easy to do a model in that time ;)

I would like to step into the arena to paint a squad of blue horrors. My intent however is to learn to shade and highlight. Challenge me if you feel like you can guide me to success!

Starting off with a whole squad to learn a new technique (or two!) is a daunting challenge indeed, especially given the time limit. Considering the extent of my shade/highlighting is pretty much wash and drybrush I don't know that I'd be much help there, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can throw out some tips.

As always I'm down for a challenge if anyone is interested in helping.

I, Dosjetka, challenge Brother-Captain Arkhan to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a character on foot. I shall bring forth a Imperial Fists Legion Centurion in Tactical Dreadnought Armour before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Some progress pictures:

Pre-build:

http://i.imgur.com/ZPoi1k2.jpg

and here he is, held together with blu-tack.

http://i.imgur.com/7Oe7scO.jpg

Experimenting by using a Hail Caesar head on him. Will probably replace the lightning claw arm with Geigor Fellhand's one, if I can find the damned thing.

Edited by Ashenwyte

Welcome Andrew Christlieb and Dosjetka (what's up with everyone having ranks in their names all of a sudden?:huh.:)!! 

Guys if you haven't found a challenge-partner yet, I suggest just going out, and PMing a frater that inspires you. Bring the challenge to them!

@ BCK: I mean this with O-legs. But it doens't matter, because I saw pics in your thread that showed me you already fixed it :tu:

@ Andrew Christlieb: Not sure what you mean there, as the rules are quite clear, no? If you found a mistake, please show me where, so I can fix it - as I don't see it! :tu: